Confused about what to do with my life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alternative Facts

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a new member here, and I'm a sophomore studying Chemical Engineering at a large state school. I initially was set on going to medical school, but now I've lost much of that motivation (I don't even really know why--perhaps the engineering curriculum and some research I do diluted my focus). I have pretty extensive research experience (second author on a computational protein-ligand docking manuscript), and I have most of the necessary pre-med coursework (it's conveniently built into my major), but I lack any significant volunteering or clinical exposure. Since I also have a high GPA, I'm in a bit of limbo; I'm still somewhat competitive for medical school, but I don't really have much passion for it. My backup plan is to get a PhD in some bioengineering related field and get a career in academia, but I feel uncomfortable making that decision now because I might develop a passion for medicine again. I don't want to throw away such an opportunity.

I've considered applying to MD-PhD programs, but I don't really see if I would have much of a chance due to my few volunteering hours (I'm already a sophomore, so I'm afraid it might be a bit too late to get in the hundreds of volunteering hours that everyone has these days). I'm also not an URM or anything (I'm a white male, if it matters), and I know that MD-PhD programs accept very small classes each year, with a heavy focus on diversity (not that I have anything against such measures; I'm just including some context). In terms of applying to such programs I'm probably decent on research and GPA, but I don't know about much else. I'm studying for the MCAT over this summer (along with doing volunteering and shadowing), and I'll continue doing research for the remainder of my undergrad, but I don't know if it'll be enough to make a difference.

This might be a strange request, but please give any suggestions you have about how you ultimately decided that medicine (or academic medicine, or anything else) was the right career choice for you. I really want to make this decision soon, because this state of limbo is truly awful. I feel like an inadequate loser in every aspect: in engineering, because I haven't secured any internships; in pre-med, because I don't have much volunteering; in research, because I've only done computational work; in life, because I know I'll end up broke if I don't resolve this dilemma and establish a focus for myself.

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

As you lack the passion for medicine, you need to trust your instincts. Don 't go down a rigorous,. stressful path as you'll only be miserable.

The biomedical PhD path is a good one. Don't shy away from because of a "I might like X again" mindset. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

Reactions: 3 users
I lack any significant volunteering or clinical exposure. ... Since I also have a high GPA, I'm in a bit of limbo; I'm still somewhat competitive for medical school, but I don't really have much passion for it.
If you don't have much passion for medicine nor any significant volunteering or clinical exposure, you are NOT competitive for medical school. And you know... that's okay.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I'm a new member here, and I'm a sophomore studying Chemical Engineering at a large state school. I initially was set on going to medical school, but now I've lost much of that motivation (I don't even really know why--perhaps the engineering curriculum and some research I do diluted my focus). I have pretty extensive research experience (second author on a computational protein-ligand docking manuscript), and I have most of the necessary pre-med coursework (it's conveniently built into my major), but I lack any significant volunteering or clinical exposure. Since I also have a high GPA, I'm in a bit of limbo; I'm still somewhat competitive for medical school, but I don't really have much passion for it. My backup plan is to get a PhD in some bioengineering related field and get a career in academia, but I feel uncomfortable making that decision now because I might develop a passion for medicine again. I don't want to throw away such an opportunity.

I've considered applying to MD-PhD programs, but I don't really see if I would have much of a chance due to my few volunteering hours (I'm already a sophomore, so I'm afraid it might be a bit too late to get in the hundreds of volunteering hours that everyone has these days). I'm also not an URM or anything (I'm a white male, if it matters), and I know that MD-PhD programs accept very small classes each year, with a heavy focus on diversity (not that I have anything against such measures; I'm just including some context). In terms of applying to such programs I'm probably decent on research and GPA, but I don't know about much else. I'm studying for the MCAT over this summer (along with doing volunteering and shadowing), and I'll continue doing research for the remainder of my undergrad, but I don't know if it'll be enough to make a difference.

This might be a strange request, but please give any suggestions you have about how you ultimately decided that medicine (or academic medicine, or anything else) was the right career choice for you. I really want to make this decision soon, because this state of limbo is truly awful. I feel like an inadequate loser in every aspect: in engineering, because I haven't secured any internships; in pre-med, because I don't have much volunteering; in research, because I've only done computational work; in life, because I know I'll end up broke if I don't resolve this dilemma and establish a focus for myself.

Thank you in advance
You should not pursue medicine with the hope that you'll enjoy doctoring someday. That's a recipe for disappointment and regret.

If you are interested in exploring medicine as a career, you should get some shadowing and clinical experience first. Medicine is not for everyone, and that is completely okay. Be honest with yourself about where your interests and talents lie. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Don’t do medicine if you’re not interested but also think long and hard about whether PhD is right given current labor market. Per the chart below, tenure track positions aren’t keeping up with the number of PhDs being rewarded. Getting a PhD and not getting a tenure position is akin to doing med school and residency then not getting a job as an attending.

1647847348233.jpeg
1647847348233.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
There are many other things that one can do with a PhD other than academics (some blend of teaching, research and administration). That said, there a great many jobs for BS and MS engineers who do not go on to PhD level work. There is quite a bit of work to solve real-life problems, generate new ideas and test them and develop products that people need.

If you don't feel drawn to helping people through volunteering and you aren't curious enough about medicine to be seeking out opportunities to shadow doctors (given, the opportunities dried up in spring 2020 just about the time you were finishing HS), then maybe medicine isn't for you and that's okay. Just to be sure, get yourself some in-person shadowing with a physician or two and see if it is not too late to sign up to be a hospital volunteer this summer in a patient facing role. There is no single timeline for pre-meds and it is almost never "too late" to begin (if you are a 50 year old engineer with pre-reqs that are 30 years old, then it might be too late ;) but you are far from that situation. ).

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

Thank you in advance
Honestly I think you need to graduate and work a job for a year or two to give yourself time to make your mind up. Maybe try to get a clinical job to see how healthcare really is and see if it's something you don't want to do.

Don’t do medicine if you’re not interested but also think long and hard about whether PhD is right given current labor market. Per the chart below, tenure track positions aren’t keeping up with the number of PhDs being rewarded. Getting a PhD and not getting a tenure position is akin to doing med school and residency then not getting a job as an attending.

View attachment 352096View attachment 352096
This is pretty big too. I got a C one semester and thought I wasn't going to be able to become a doctor and started looking at grad school as a back up. Alot of STEM fields have more graduates than jobs for them. Post doc positions have exploded in the past few decades because academia can have doctorate level work for peanuts. Some programs want 5 years now instead of the traditional 4. So you may go to school for 5 years and then do 2-4 or more years of a post doc before you even get a tenured position.

The industry route isn't all sunshine and rainbows either. I got a friend with a chemistry degree that had to work temp jobs in his field as all of the chemical and paint companies are cheap af and he finally got hired on permanently not too long ago. I'd imagine there is fewer jobs for graduate level applicants so it may be even harder to get a job. Plus it's the norm now for companies to try and simplify everything because less education means less pay typically so that's savings for the company.

Reactions: 1 users

View attachment 352096View attachment 352096
not exactly, depending on the PhD there can be a substantial job market outside of university tenure. Of course, there is a very different demand for bioinformatics than there is for biology. Choose the PhD carefully.