Confused about when to take MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDre2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a rising junior who started the premed prereqs late / changed my major a few times, so I won't be done with the prereqs (still need Orgo I, II, Lab; Biochemistry; another upper-level Bio; Physics II) until senior fall (Fall 2016).

So this is what I think the possibilities are:
  • Before completing prereqs (Do people do this?) : Study - During a semester in junior year, MCAT - January, April-May (depending on which semester), Apply - Junior spring --> 0 gap years
  • Before completing prereqs : Study - Junior spring / summer, MCAT - June-September, Apply - Senior spring --> 1 gap year
  • Completing / completed prereqs : Study - During a semester in senior year, MCAT - January, April-May (depending on which semester), Apply - Senior spring --> 1 gap year
  • Completing / completed prereqs : Study - Senior spring / summer, MCAT - June-September, Apply - Spring after graduation (Spring 2018) --> 2 gap years
#1, 3 sound like no fun at all, but may be doable and would leave me "better off" than I thought (not sure if faster matriculation is even better). Plus, my summers would be free to do research / volunteering (which I need). I don't know if #1, 2 are wise choices (studying before completing prereqs). And are #2, 4 even possible (applying before / at the same time as taking MCAT)? If not, does that mean I'd have to take 3 gap years if I went with #4?!

I've tried Googling, SDN searching, and asking my premed advisor, but I'm still so confused...

Members don't see this ad.

Your best option is to complete all your prereqs senior year while studying for the MCAT. Take the MCAT during april or may so you can get your scores early. Apply during that cycle giving you one gap year. You probably need to find something worth doing during the gap year such as a master's program, study abroad or intensive research. You will be asked in secondary apps and interviews how you used the gap year. Hope this helps :)

I suggest: Senior Year - Study during the Spring, take the MCAT at the end of Spring or early Summer, and apply in the early Summer. You'll end up with a Gap Year that can help boost your ECs/Volunteering/Research/etc.

@Neutrophil2016 @ac62994

Thank you! So I take the MCAT April-May, apply early in the cycle May-June, then do whatever I'm doing for the gap year + secondaries and interviews Sept-April? Is that part of the cycle usually very time consuming? And do people usually tour the med schools they're interested in like they do for college (maybe just the in-state ones) before applying? Or just stick to MSAR / online research?

Also, if I did poorly on the MCAT at that point, does that just exclude me from applying until the next cycle?

@Neutrophil2016 @ac62994

Thank you! So I take the MCAT April-May, apply early in the cycle May-June, then do whatever I'm doing for the gap year + secondaries and interviews Sept-April? Is that part of the cycle usually very time consuming? And do people usually tour the med schools they're interested in like they do for college (maybe just the in-state ones) before applying? Or just stick to MSAR / online research?

Also, if I did poorly on the MCAT at that point, does that just exclude me from applying until the next cycle?

Secondaries start pouring in sometime in July and usually it's pretty time consuming (especially if you apply to 20+ schools).

The MSAR and the respective school's website are definitely going to be your best friends when choosing schools to apply to (look at median GPA/MCAT). I don't think you'd have time to tour schools since you'll be studying/taking the MCAT and completing the application process back-to-back.

When you take the MCAT, it usually takes a month to get your actual scores. So, if you were to take it in May you'll get your scores at the end of June and depending on your scores you'll still have the July/August to be able to retake it. But keep in mind some schools have different ways of handling MCAT retakes, mostly disadvantageous, so make sure you prepare well. You have plenty of time to make sure you ace that first try, though.

Reactions: 1 user