Arjuna

Wielder of the Brahmastra
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi All,
So Ive been browsing this forum for some time now. I am constantly just assuring myself that I am going into the right field because of two reasons: I didnt get stellar grades in high school, and I am slacking off quite a bit right now, after being admitted to college. The thing is, I am worried that unless I have an innate desire to study, even if not for fun, BEFORE I go to college, I will not be able to perform to the best of my potential in undergrad. Are these familiar fears?? Does anyone have any advice? I really like Anatomy and Biology, and it comes naturally to me. I study for two hours for a five chapter test (even for those two hours, an hour is spent dazing off) and I get a high B on the test, even though my colleagues study weeks in advance and still get a "B" :D. I consider these people to be more qualified than me, and to put it bluntly, I am doubting my capabilities.:( I simply cannot repeat the same process in college, nor do I plan to. I am going to a state school, and so I need some advice as to whether this is the right field for me. I will be doing considerable extracurriculars this summer in order to confirm my aspirations for Med School, and I promise to work my hardest in college. Does anyone relate or have any comments on this??

nonesuchgirl

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status
Take a deep breath!

If you're going to mess up at all, the best time to do it is first year. University is a completely different ballgame than high school- you'll figure out soon enough what you need to do to succeed.

:)

JA Prufrock

Serenity Now!
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
well you're certainly neurotic enough to be in this field. welcome to the club mate

bodonid

Dr. Spaceman
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Best thing you can do for yourself right now is chill out a little bit. Read up on things you are interested in, and ask around before you pick your major. Take courses that interest you. But first things first! Enjoy your summer. I start med school in the fall, and I am confronted with the same decision: pre study? Well I just look back to my summer before starting college, and realize how ridiculous it would have been to pre-study for college. Don't. Have fun with your HS friends, college friends are *different* and you may miss HS.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Make sure you join a fraternity. Not the premed fraternity, a real fraternity. Or a club sports team, if you´re not into greek life. Or just find reliable drinking buddies. Drinking buddies who aren´t planning to take biology. I think you´re going to need people to keep you grounded in college.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Did anyone else start laughing after reading this?

nonesuchgirl

10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2007
Status
???? I dont see the humor. I needed advice, not useless comments:confused:
Sweetie, you haven't even started uni and you've worried yourself sick over failing. Just breathe.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status
Medical Student
what advice do you want???

Do your best, and then what happens, happens.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just alternate between your studies, girls, and weekend frat parties and you will be fine. The key is balance. BALANCE. Find your balance and then when you find your balance, keep your balance. In other words, be balanced. That is the key. Balance. Trust me.

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi All,
So Ive been browsing this forum for some time now. I am constantly just assuring myself that I am going into the right field because of two reasons: I didnt get stellar grades in high school, and I am slacking off quite a bit right now, after being admitted to college. The thing is, I am worried that unless I have an innate desire to study, even if not for fun, BEFORE I go to college, I will not be able to perform to the best of my potential in undergrad. Are these familiar fears?? Does anyone have any advice? I really like Anatomy and Biology, and it comes naturally to me. I study for two hours for a five chapter test (even for those two hours, an hour is spent dazing off) and I get a high B on the test, even though my colleagues study weeks in advance and still get a "B" :D. I consider these people to be more qualified than me, and to put it bluntly, I am doubting my capabilities.:( I simply cannot repeat the same process in college, nor do I plan to. I am going to a state school, and so I need some advice as to whether this is the right field for me. I will be doing considerable extracurriculars this summer in order to confirm my aspirations for Med School, and I promise to work my hardest in college. Does anyone relate or have any comments on this??
Use your "fears" as motivation to study hard and excel

digitalising

Codename: Amistad
10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2008
Status
Medical Student
???? I dont see the humor. I needed advice, not useless comments:confused:

If you didn't want useless comments, you definitely came to the wrong place.

Anyway, I would say this: as someone who is paying for not studying in university, form study groups and be proactive in getting the help you need to achieve the best grades possible. Someone said that first year is the year to make mistakes; just make sure you learn from them instead of repeating them.

As far as whether it's the right field for you, well, volunteer and shadow and do all of those things that pre-meds do to see if it appeals to you. If it isn't, there are a number of other fields where you can make a great mark and/or help others.

Good luck.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
There is no reason to worry right now. When you start college develop a study and leisure schedule that works for you. DO NOT lock yourself in your room studying 10 hours a day. You will face burnout and then when you decide to take a break you won't have friends to have a break with. Realize that everything in life is a balance and you need to find what works for you.

Rikkye

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I guess my question for you would be, do you have an innate desire 'to know'? Because ppl don't study for the sake of studying. It's not really a contest of who can withstand the longest. It can take you as fast as half an hour or as long as 3 hours. The important thing is just be completely confident in your knowledge after you study. If you lack that motivation, I think you should definitely think twice.

G

ghostfoot

Hi All,
First off, stop weilding the brahmastra at everyone!

Secondly, it sounds like you'll suck as a doctor, but only half as bad as most of the folks on here.

In conclusion, sheath the brahmastra and find your way. If you can do this, you'll likely be accepted to a school of medicine, at which point you should check back for more advice on something trivial.

L'Chiam

brianmartin

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Nothing is ever as hard as it is made out to be. You sound intelligent, and like you are used to getting high grades without studying. We were all like that.

And then, we took organic chemistry :smuggrin:

md4me88

10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
you're just going to have to force yourself to sit down with the books and study because a B isn't good if you're planning on medicine