Confused and Praying in Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofM01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,
I have been reading many posts in the last months. They have been very helpful. I need some help and some advice please.
I am a 2nd year applicant. I have a degree in Psychology from the University of Michigan. Besides for the basic requirements I have taken, Embryology(grad level), Chem based Biochem(grad level), Biochem Biology based, and Physiology. Currently Im enrolled in 2 graduate level courses Endocrine Physiology and Histology.

I have been working at a dental office for the last 5 years (no joke). I want this more than anything else.

My Help is needed in that I have a 3.1 overall GPA and a 2.78-2.8 sci gpa.

I recently retook the DAT in August and achieved scores of 18-Acedemic, 16-PAT and a 20-SCI.

Trust me I know I do not have the best GPA. I did not really focus too much my first years in my comm. college and I am paying the price.

Believe it or not I graduated with Distinction at the University of Michigan. But with the grades averaged with my comm. college it really brings it down on the application.

I applied in August and was so happy when I recieved an interview from NYU. It was in early Nov. and even the the doctor who interviewd me there told me that my personality does not reflect my grades.

Also, I just recieved notice that I will have an interview at Nova dental school sometime in January.

University of Michigan sent me a letter stating that they would like to see my fall semestar grades as soon as they are posted. I am working really hard to achieve good grades.

I just want to get into dental school. I really would like to go to U of M or Nova. Can anyone please tell me what they think of my situation? I wish everyone the best of luck and I hope that we all are blessed this year with the future that will make you happy!

Anyone please reply
:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

First of all, I think it's great that you've been working so long in a dental office - that's really great. It's also good news that you've been trying to bring your sci gpa up, but that may be difficult to do if you have a lot poor grades initially. I would be prepared to answer questions about why you did not do as well in community college.

Okay -- at your interview at Nova, you need to wow them! really emphasize your dental clinic experience. and get your info to UM as fast as you can. Call them and check up on your apps to make sure it's been received. Tell them that you are really interested in attending. If you live in the surrounding area, maybe you can stop by the school. I dropped by UT Houston to check on my application (unannounced), and it turns out they didn't have my recommendation letters. Also, I ran into the dean of admissions and he personally gave me a tour of the school for an hour. It was not a day that they usually schedule interviews, so I think they were more willing to accommidate only one person.

I did not apply to Nova or UM, but I think both of them have good programs (I wasn't interested in moving that far north or that far east). There's some good info about interviewing at Nova in the interview thread.

How many schools did you apply to? Are you restricted to a certain region of the US? Is money a primary factor? If you have free time, I would try to get into research. If you continue your upwards trend (also, you may want to think about increasing your course load), and keep at it, you will achieve your goals.

I'm kind of confused -- you did better at UM than at community college, correct? and you went to community college before transferring to UM?

good luck!
ricegirl

Thanks for the kind and extensive reply.

Yes I did go to a Comm. college. I went there for my first 2 and a half years and than went on to the University of Michigan. I did much better at the University which I belive shows that I truly matured.

I Do not care about the money at this point. I just want to get into a good dental school. I applied to Temple, UofMich., U of Detroit, Nova, NYU, BU, and Case Western.

In the Nova interview, I plan on talking about the clinic I work at the dental office as well as my grades and how they have been improving.

As far as course loads...In the winter I took Embryology, Biochem, Physiology, Abnormal Psyc. and Group processes Psyc. All in the same semestar and achieved a 3.4-3.5 GPA. The winter before that I carried a similar course load.

What did you mean by look under the thread for Nova interview??

My interview there is in January and when I spoke to the admissions counselor she asked me how the grad classes are going. Do you think I really have chance of getting in? Would they actually make you fly out there and reject you even if you did well in the interview.

I have good people skills and I love to communicate especially with dentists. I am informed on the feild especially the clinic aspect. I hope I didn't talk to long but let me know what you think. How is everything going with you ?? and anyone else that wants to reply is welcome.

Good Luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

do a search for NOVA and interview, I remember there being information posted about NOVA.

If you are concerned about youre interview, I would suggest calling them and asking how many students they accept (you may already know that) and also how many students they interview.

Are you trying to get a master's or phd or are you taking these classes to help you prepare for dental school? if you are trying to get a degree, I think schools also like that.

ricegirl

oops -- sorry about youre and your. It irks me when people can't spell on when posting! It's just one of my things.

ricegirl

Actually, I am not pursuing a masters degree at this point. I am 24 years old and just taking grad classes to better my chances.

As for Nova I do not know how many people they interview and accept. I would assume that If you are given an interview than you would at least make the alternates list... but than again I may be wrong.

Do you know if there is a predental chat that people like yourself and I can discuss things?

Thanks again for the reply :rolleyes:

By the way in case you were thinking...IM not a minority. So my grades are how they stand.

There is no official predental chat, although there is a chat room to this forum. Maybe the pre-dents should think about setting a time to chat? most of the time there is no one in the chat room.

ricegirl

keep getting good grades and you will be rewarded. i would retake the dat though. a degree fromt the university of michigan will get you interviews (it helps coming from a top 25 school), just impress them! good luck.

matt

MJF (matt), Do you really think I should retake my DAT even though I am getting interviewd? My plan was to take more sciences in the Winter semestar and make sure that the schools know of it. I have taken the DAT 2 times and I will take it a 3rd but for some reason I feel that it is holding well. Why would they interview me?? Please reply.

i take that comment back. your science score was great and if you are getting interviews, don't worry about it. your pat was low, but that won't make or break anything.

I think you are worrying too much. The fact that you are getting interviews is a good sign. You also applied fairly early. I wouldn't be surprised if you recieved multiple offers from private schools.

RiceGIRL, Cassie, Big Poppa, MJF, INEEDANASSOCIATE, THank you all for your kind comments. I really appreciate it.

I guess its normal to worry at a time like this. Everyday when I go to work at the dental office I want it more and more. We can all learn from this, by looking back one day and seeing how hard work payed off. I hope that we will all get in this year. Good luck and keep the replys coming :)

Hi!,
I know it has been a while since I last updated this thread but my intentions were to get my grades first and advice 2nd.

How is everyone? I hope all of you are doing well in the predental and Dental world.

I finished my semestar in mid December. The graduate classes that I was enrolled in are finally finshed.

Endocrine Physiology (B+) and
Histology(B)

Besides for those classes I maintained my full time status at the dental office and I also have been involved in a research project that I will be hopefully being published in.

I have my interview coming up at NOVA very soon and I can hardly wait!!

I will keep you all informed on what happens there and with the other schools. I would appreciate some advice or input when you are free. Thanks Everyone and Good Luck!

:)