Confused and wondering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I have an interview coming up at VCU (my one and only interview thus far)...I was complete early September...my stats aren't great (3.2 from great school, 32) and I am out-of-state...if I do well at the interview, is it conceivable that I get in by the spring, or at all? I have very solid EC's and recs...but recently got straight up rejected by Albany. This process is crazy...anyone have any insight on any of this?

Members don't see this ad.

camisho said:
Hey guys...I have an interview coming up at VCU (my one and only interview thus far)...I was complete early September...my stats aren't great (3.2 from great school, 32) and I am out-of-state...if I do well at the interview, is it conceivable that I get in by the spring, or at all? I have very solid EC's and recs...but recently got straight up rejected by Albany. This process is crazy...anyone have any insight on any of this?

VCU will be giving out their next batch of acceptances on Dec 15th, then again on Jan 15th and lastly on Mar 15th. After that, you go on a waitlist. As long as you interview by the end of November, you should qualify for the Dec 15th round of acceptance letters. Unless you only apply to 1 or 2 schools, you can bank on getting rejected from at least one school for no apparent reason. That's just the way the game is played. Look at Dartmouth as a good example. Outside of taking 5-10 people from their own undergrad, they only take 1 (2 in rare cases) people from a specific undergrad to create diversity in their class. So if 10 people from Harvard apply with 36+ MCAT scores, only 1 will be getting in, and most likely, only 2 or 3 will get an interview. The rest will get outright rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi camisho,

i interviewed end of september (my only interview so far), and was told by the dean that there is CRAZY out-of-state waitlist movement, so keep the faith man.....getting to the interview is a big step...

just stay positive, kick a$$ at the interview, who knows we might be classmates at VCU next year!

good luck!

Thanks Chondrocyte...maybe I will see you next year...I like to be around positive-thinking people...how competitive is the atmosphere at VCU?

hey camisho,

what really impressed me about the school was the friendly environment and "non-competitive" atmosphere...i'm sure you'll get a feel for this during the tour (which is LONG so make sure to wear comfortable walking shoes ..hehe)

coming from a cut-throat undergrad environment, i'm pretty sure VCU would be welcome breath of fresh air..

i'm hoping to get some good news on dec15th (didn't make it in on oct15 but they give very few acceptances than anyways), but as i said before i'm gonna try to stay positive throughout this process keeping in mind the tremendous out-of-state waitlist movement!

btw - did u ask why albany rejected u?...i'm waiting to hear from them and i have similar stats (higher gpa, lower mcat by 2 points)....i'd think u'd be pretty competitive there

Hey Chondrocyte,

I don't know why Albany flat out rejected me...I got a pre-interview "hold" at schools like Penn State and EVMS...what's your GPA? I have friends who have interviewed there lately with similar stats to mine, so I don't really know what's going on there. How can I approach them in asking why they did it? E-mail, phone?

hey camisho,

maybe u should call up albany...the admissions office is really nice (the lady's name is bonnie i think), so u should be able to get some feedback there

i got put on hold at PSU too....
my BPCM is 3.36, cumulative a bit higher (my non-sci gpa sucks)

anyhow i'm guessing u already did this , but check out interview feedback...more specifically i was the 9/28 entry on VCU if u wanna know what q's i was asked

later!

some people have told me you can find out who your interviewer is by calling the admissions office...they told me however, that they don't have access to such information..

Do your best at the interview at VCU and try to stay optimistic! I think they really put emphasis on the interview. I interviewed last year in the beginning of October with a 3.35 science GPA and a 27 MCAT and was accepted on October 15th. I think that my interview went really well and was an important factor in my acceptance. They'll explain to you that basically your interviewer will serve as your "advocate" during the adcom meetings. Any way, VCU is a great school!

Good Luck!

for what it's worth, my interview was with Dr. Brooks...if u get him, you've got nothing to worry about...the interview will be just like a conversation, no tough questions....Dr. Brooks is a great guy, and after the interview I had an even better impression of the school than before

good luck!