Confused-----applying for US Residency Training.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harshz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
i am in my final term of MBBS doing it from India and i really am keen to apply in the US for residency training and post graduate medical education.

i understand me being an IMG its gonna be tough.....but i would really like some opinions here whether its really worth it and how am i supposed to go about doing it.

the reason i am applying in the US is coz there are no doctors in my family and starting a practice from scratch in a place like bombay is almost impossible...plus its more likely i can do post-grad in US than with the current reservation crap going on in India.

i know about the USMLE n stuff but i would like to know when is the ideal time to start preparing n giving the USMLE. i will be starting intership from 2007 jan(hopefully!!!)
i am really keen to come to the US.Kindly help me out here n give me some of your opinions

thanks y'all..............peace.

:thumbup: " When you want something real bad, the universe conspires to help you get it " ---- Paulo Coelho -The Alchemist :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

harshz said:
hey guys,
i am in my final term of MBBS doing it from India and i really am keen to apply in the US for residency training and post graduate medical education.

i understand me being an IMG its gonna be tough.....but i would really like some opinions here whether its really worth it and how am i supposed to go about doing it.

the reason i am applying in the US is coz there are no doctors in my family and starting a practice from scratch in a place like bombay is almost impossible...plus its more likely i can do post-grad in US than with the current reservation crap going on in India.

i know about the USMLE n stuff but i would like to know when is the ideal time to start preparing n giving the USMLE. i will be starting intership from 2007 jan(hopefully!!!)
i am really keen to come to the US.Kindly help me out here n give me some of your opinions

thanks y'all..............peace.

:thumbup: " When you want something real bad, the universe conspires to help you get it " ---- Paulo Coelho -The Alchemist :thumbup:

Pass USMLE step 1 and 2 while doing internship. And take Kaplan courses in Mumbai..you will be fine.

Shah_Patel_PT said:
Pass USMLE step 1 and 2 while doing internship. And take Kaplan courses in Mumbai..you will be fine.

hey thanks for your reply....

but considering the current scenario in the US, will it be possible to get a residency of my choice and also how do i know which hospitals are good for a particular residency......

really confusing....!!

also it does not say anywhere how much is the actual cost of doing a particular residency training in a particular hospital....

does kaplan help all the way or just with the usmle