confused between MBA & MD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shiea

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I passed out of medical school in 2008 & started preparing for USMLE.. But I have never really wanted to be a doctor. Im from India now in the U.S. Im confused whether to continue & join a residency program or instead do MBA in Hospital Management. Eventually I want to start my own hospital. My question is which of these 2 degrees are more helpful for starting my own hospital?. If I do residency then I was thinking of doing a 1 year MBA program. Or else completely change career & do a full time 2 year MBA. Also practicing as a doctor is recession proof & pays more compared to an MBA. If I do a one year MBA program I can only do it online.
For starting my own hospital the only advantage of having an MD degree is I can build my practice well.. Im really confused.. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply for an entry level hospital administration position. After getting some experience, consider going for an MBA

Thx. but doesnt entry level hospital administration position require an MBA?

I have looked on so many profiles of medical doctor executives. almost all of them are medical professionals first and then executives. there may be various advantages and reasons for going for this path -

1. as you said, being a doctor almost puts you in a recession proof situation.

2. you can always enter into business side of healthcare but it will be difficult to enter medical side if you leave it without getting trained and becoming a medical professional.

its specially true for you if you want to setup your own hospital. If you complete your residency first and then MBA, you will be a doctor with expertise in business side of healthcare, while if you do MBA directly, you will not be much more than other non-medicos with a business degree and experience.

Its not to say that doing MBA directly without doing residency is completely useless. You see what kind of life-style you want and how fast you want it say 10 year down the line. If you are sure that you don't like the clinical side at all, then going for straight MBA will surely be a wise choice...but as michaelrack said you will need work ex in that...thats required to get into any good MBA program be it US or India.

have written in a little rush...would like to add more later....

look into family residency program with MBA integrated.....unable to find link right now...will send later...

btw, which state & college are you from India ?