Confused but passionate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychstudent!721

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my BS in psychology, I had a 3.1 cumulative and 3.2 major. I did my statistics with an A-, internship with an A, extra curriculars, my research with a B. I was accepted to a social work program but decided to forgo Thag as I attended a conference and realized its not for me. It’s too much policy and that’s not my Interest. I am interested in human behavior in a psychological and physiological perspective. I also want to to be able to provide therapy. As of right now I’m
Set to start a post doc in bio for possible med school but I’m on the fence about it. I believe neuropsychology would interest me far more. I know I’m not competitive for a PhD program YET. I still have to take the GRE. I noticed a lot of master programs in psych have a GPA of 3.0 some requiring GRE some not. I was thinking of forgoing the post doc, and spend a few months focusing on preparing for the GRE then applying to Master in psychology programs. The program would make me look better for PhD programs. Can people with a PhD in neuropsychology take the EPPP and performs therapies? Should I go ahead with the courses I’m enrolled in now and do a masters in neuroscience? I’m
So lost as to what my options are, please any Input would be helpful

Members don't see this ad.

Go to med school, do psychiatry residency, do as much therapy, imaging, and research as you want while enjoying a much higher income and career flexibility

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got my BS in psychology, I had a 3.1 cumulative and 3.2 major. I did my statistics with an A-, internship with an A, extra curriculars, my research with a B. I was accepted to a social work program but decided to forgo Thag as I attended a conference and realized its not for me. It’s too much policy and that’s not my Interest. I am interested in human behavior in a psychological and physiological perspective. I also want to to be able to provide therapy. As of right now I’m
Set to start a post doc in bio for possible med school but I’m on the fence about it. I believe neuropsychology would interest me far more. I know I’m not competitive for a PhD program YET. I still have to take the GRE. I noticed a lot of master programs in psych have a GPA of 3.0 some requiring GRE some not. I was thinking of forgoing the post doc, and spend a few months focusing on preparing for the GRE then applying to Master in psychology programs. The program would make me look better for PhD programs. Can people with a PhD in neuropsychology take the EPPP and performs therapies? Should I go ahead with the courses I’m enrolled in now and do a masters in neuroscience? I’m
So lost as to what my options are, please any Input would be helpful

I am very confused as to what is going on here. Why are you talking about forgoing the postdoc for the GRE before you are even in grad school?
I’m sorry, let me clarify, I forwent graduate program which was in social work. I went back for a DIY post doc in biology to up my gpa, and gain the knowledge for med school. My early grades freshman-2nd senior (it took me 5 years for college due to a lot of family issues) were very mediocre. Both grandparents fell very ill within the same timeframe. Grandmother suffered numerous strokes and dementia and eventually passed, my mother went into a deep depression as a result and my grandfather started to fall and developed lung cancer and it seemed like I was waiting by my cell for another call that he was going to the hospital. On top of that I suffered for severe anxiety for about a year. So keeping the grades were very hard but I did it. What I am very on the fence about is actually going through with the post bac as it starts in the fall. I was considering just studying for the GRE ATHEN APPLYING TO a masters in psychology then PhD. (Sorry caps went on). However, my plan for med school was do the post bac, get my gpa to a 3.3 at least and my biology to at least a 3.4 then do a specialized masters for one year and bang out a 3.8 minimum now that I’m in a better space and show the admissions that I can do it. I’m torn between doing the med school route or just doing the psychology route. I really want to be able to evaluate a persons psyche and work with them on the psychological state and help them with what I went through. However I do know that as a psychiatrist I can also work with patients without just prescribing meds.

Go to med school, do psychiatry residency, do as much therapy, imaging, and research as you want while enjoying a much higher income and career flexibility
I can do research as a psychiatrist?! I can also do imaging?

I’m sorry, let me clarify, I forwent graduate program which was in social work. I went back for a DIY post doc in biology to up my gpa, and gain the knowledge for med school. My early grades freshman-2nd senior (it took me 5 years for college due to a lot of family issues) were very mediocre. Both grandparents fell very ill within the same timeframe. Grandmother suffered numerous strokes and dementia and eventually passed, my mother went into a deep depression as a result and my grandfather started to fall and developed lung cancer and it seemed like I was waiting by my cell for another call that he was going to the hospital. On top of that I suffered for severe anxiety for about a year. So keeping the grades were very hard but I did it. What I am very on the fence about is actually going through with the post bac as it starts in the fall. I was considering just studying for the GRE ATHEN APPLYING TO a masters in psychology then PhD. (Sorry caps went on). However, my plan for med school was do the post bac, get my gpa to a 3.3 at least and my biology to at least a 3.4 then do a specialized masters for one year and bang out a 3.8 minimum now that I’m in a better space and show the admissions that I can do it. I’m torn between doing the med school route or just doing the psychology route. I really want to be able to evaluate a persons psyche and work with them on the psychological state and help them with what I went through. However I do know that as a psychiatrist I can also work with patients without just prescribing meds. I am interested in why people do what they do, what influences the behavior and thoughts. I’m torn because I don’t know if I can still do what I want as a psychiatrist. Can I do what a psychologist/neuropsychologist can as a psychiatrist?

Could you back up
I’m sorry, let me clarify, I forwent graduate program which was in social work. I went back for a DIY post doc in biology to up my gpa, and gain the knowledge for med school. My early grades freshman-2nd senior (it took me 5 years for college due to a lot of family issues) were very mediocre. Both grandparents fell very ill within the same timeframe. Grandmother suffered numerous strokes and dementia and eventually passed, my mother went into a deep depression as a result and my grandfather started to fall and developed lung cancer and it seemed like I was waiting by my cell for another call that he was going to the hospital. On top of that I suffered for severe anxiety for about a year. So keeping the grades were very hard but I did it. What I am very on the fence about is actually going through with the post bac as it starts in the fall. I was considering just studying for the GRE ATHEN APPLYING TO a masters in psychology then PhD. (Sorry caps went on). However, my plan for med school was do the post bac, get my gpa to a 3.3 at least and my biology to at least a 3.4 then do a specialized masters for one year and bang out a 3.8 minimum now that I’m in a better space and show the admissions that I can do it. I’m torn between doing the med school route or just doing the psychology route. I really want to be able to evaluate a persons psyche and work with them on the psychological state and help them with what I went through. However I do know that as a psychiatrist I can also work with patients without just prescribing meds.

It sounds like you really want to be a clinician, like a mental health therapist? So you skipped the social work graduate program or you completed one (sorry, this is still a little fuzzy). This may go without saying, but everything in this post reflects a personal and professional interest in helping people struggle with anxiety and depression that you yourself are saying.

It feels a bit like maybe you are trying to make decisions that might not yet be within your wheelhouse? Your last sentence said "I can also work with patients without just prescribing meds" (which I love btw). Why not take a deep breath and start with where you are at and let the rest materialize for clarity. You want to get your grades up...You want to meet criteria for both medical or a doctoral program. You are kinda saying you aren't there yet. So why not start with where you are at an complete a masters program in social work or otherwise and work as a therapist to get a feel for what works for you? I don't know what you mean by "bang out a specialized masters" but I assume you have credits from things that would make it a quick complete for a masters?

Re-read your post....it sounds like you already know what you want to do...but it sounds like you believe you are "supposed to go to med school". Maybe one of those things aren't really an authentic goal?

Hope that helps! Best of luck to you in your options.

Could you back up

It sounds like you really want to be a clinician, like a mental health therapist? So you skipped the social work graduate program or you completed one (sorry, this is still a little fuzzy). This may go without saying, but everything in this post reflects a personal and professional interest in helping people struggle with anxiety and depression that you yourself are saying.

It feels a bit like maybe you are trying to make decisions that might not yet be within your wheelhouse? Your last sentence said "I can also work with patients without just prescribing meds" (which I love btw). Why not take a deep breath and start with where you are at and let the rest materialize for clarity. You want to get your grades up...You want to meet criteria for both medical or a doctoral program. You are kinda saying you aren't there yet. So why not start with where you are at an complete a masters program in social work or otherwise and work as a therapist to get a feel for what works for you? I don't know what you mean by "bang out a specialized masters" but I assume you have credits from things that would make it a quick complete for a masters?

Re-read your post....it sounds like you already know what you want to do...but it sounds like you believe you are "supposed to go to med school". Maybe one of those things aren't really an authentic goal?

Hope that helps! Best of luck to you in your options.
Of course I can be clearer, thank you for your response :). I only have a bacholars. And I’m 24 so the clock is ticking. I don’t want to do a LMHC or LMSW they’re top policy based and I’ve spoken to many in the field and attended a national social worker conference and it just wasn’t my wheel house. I am interested in why people behave the way they do, their perception of realty and helping them step back from it and helping them acknowledge that yes, the world sucks and life isn’t fair but that’s ok. I want to help them understand that they can’t control what happens to them about They can control how they respond and take control of themselves. I am enamored by the biology of the brain and the neurotransmitters and all of that. Which is why I’m having a hard time choosing between just therapy or medical. I want something where I can do both. Is it true that psychiatrist can do therapies without prescribing meds? Because if a patient truly needed medication I wouldn’t want them to have to see someone they barely know or barely trust. I’ve been through the medication process and psychiatrist process. It sucks. Basically what I want to do is study not only human behavior but also the human mind aswel as the brain.

Of course I can be clearer, thank you for your response :). I only have a bacholars. And I’m 24 so the clock is ticking. I don’t want to do a LMHC or LMSW they’re top policy based and I’ve spoken to many in the field and attended a national social worker conference and it just wasn’t my wheel house. I am interested in why people behave the way they do, their perception of realty and helping them step back from it and helping them acknowledge that yes, the world sucks and life isn’t fair but that’s ok. I want to help them understand that they can’t control what happens to them about They can control how they respond and take control of themselves. I am enamored by the biology of the brain and the neurotransmitters and all of that. Which is why I’m having a hard time choosing between just therapy or medical. I want something where I can do both. Is it true that psychiatrist can do therapies without prescribing meds? Because if a patient truly needed medication I wouldn’t want them to have to see someone they barely know or barely trust. I’ve been through the medication process and psychiatrist process. It sucks. Basically what I want to do is study not only human behavior but also the human mind aswel as the brain.
By special masters I mean there are some one year programs designed to enhance your biology understanding to make you more competitive for medical school. It gives you an advanced degree so the medical schools see that you can handle the work.

By special masters I mean there are some one year programs designed to enhance your biology understanding to make you more competitive for medical school. It gives you an advanced degree so the medical schools see that you can handle the work.

Ahh....got what you are saying about the "banging out the fast track". OK...but everything you are saying in the last post is still therapy stuff. Letting go of what they can't control....figuring out why they need control (fear btw!) and learning to slow down a process, be mindful of the moment, and really sit with their truth...(btw...this sounds like you a bit!;)).

I am laughing because you said "times a ticking cuz I am 24!!". I am 45 and now thinking about my PHD/psyD. Psychiatrists really don't do any of the things you are saying you like (typically unless they are working private practice very independently). Psychiatrists are MD's that prescribe medication...and at least where I live...that is all they do because there is such a shortage. Psychologists do a lot of specialized testing and thorough personality testing and complicated diagnosis...they often don't really do the clinical work (typically...there are psychologist who do therapy but its not the norm)..and then there are therapists or Licensed Clinical Social Workers who really get into the clinical work...help people work through the issues that keep them living life without barriers. Like I said...you sound like the latter!

I am catching the part where your beliefs are that nuerobiology is the key to helping people. I think nuerobiology is so important. I also have not seen a nuerobiologist work to heal someones brokenness. Also, sitting with peoples brokenness can really help one understand and question how nuerobiology works. I see more and more research that says mindfulness can change nuerobiology and plasticity of the brain in weeks. Some things to consider as you ponder your choices!

For what its worth...I started with an undergraduate degree in social work and psychology...worked as a social worker and then finished my masters degree to do therapy. I am also really interested in "why people do what they do" and beyond that really working on what are more effective ways for people to own their experience which is why I want to pursue a PHD. Sometimes you need to start at the beginning and get some experience working with people to make your drive clear as to why you want to pursure the doctoral.

By no means am I talking you out of pursuing your doctorate degree...but just listenting to what you are saying...it is pretty clear where your passion is!:)

Ahh....got what you are saying about the "banging out the fast track". OK...but everything you are saying in the last post is still therapy stuff. Letting go of what they can't control....figuring out why they need control (fear btw!) and learning to slow down a process, be mindful of the moment, and really sit with their truth...(btw...this sounds like you a bit!;)).

I am laughing because you said "times a ticking cuz I am 24!!". I am 45 and now thinking about my PHD/psyD. Psychiatrists really don't do any of the things you are saying you like (typically unless they are working private practice very independently). Psychiatrists are MD's that prescribe medication...and at least where I live...that is all they do because there is such a shortage. Psychologists do a lot of specialized testing and thorough personality testing and complicated diagnosis...they often don't really do the clinical work (typically...there are psychologist who do therapy but its not the norm)..and then there are therapists or Licensed Clinical Social Workers who really get into the clinical work...help people work through the issues that keep them living life without barriers. Like I said...you sound like the latter!

I am catching the part where your beliefs are that nuerobiology is the key to helping people. I think nuerobiology is so important. I also have not seen a nuerobiologist work to heal someones brokenness. Also, sitting with peoples brokenness can really help one understand and question how nuerobiology works. I see more and more research that says mindfulness can change nuerobiology and plasticity of the brain in weeks. Some things to consider as you ponder your choices!

For what its worth...I started with an undergraduate degree in social work and psychology...worked as a social worker and then finished my masters degree to do therapy. I am also really interested in "why people do what they do" and beyond that really working on what are more effective ways for people to own their experience which is why I want to pursue a PHD. Sometimes you need to start at the beginning and get some experience working with people to make your drive clear as to why you want to pursure the doctoral.

By no means am I talking you out of pursuing your doctorate degree...but just listenting to what you are saying...it is pretty clear where your passion is!:)
Well if I get my PhD as a neuropsychologist I’m trying to figure out if I can take the EPPP because then I’ll be a licensed psychologist and can do therapy. I know I can’t ALWAYS do clinical counseling especially since I’m interested in the brain from a biology perspective. I want to be a psychiatrist because I want to work in clinical settings like hospitals and minimize the amount of drugs that’s handed out. Meaning not everyone that goes to the er needs psych meds. I’ve been told they can also do psychotherapy. I’m just confused as to what to do now. Should I just do my bio pre reqs, and then apply to the special masters AND masters in psychology and see where I get in? I missed the deadlines for the psych programs. Also the math I’m taking in the fall will help with the GRE. I was told I can do everything a psychologist can as a psychiatrist. Psychiatrist usually prescribe because they get paid more for it but I’ll forgo the little kick back and just charge for the therapy. I know a lot of psychiatrists that hold off on meds until at least a few or more sessions

Well if I get my PhD as a neuropsychologist I’m trying to figure out if I can take the EPPP because then I’ll be a licensed psychologist and can do therapy. I know I can’t ALWAYS do clinical counseling especially since I’m interested in the brain from a biology perspective. I want to be a psychiatrist because I want to work in clinical settings like hospitals and minimize the amount of drugs that’s handed out. Meaning not everyone that goes to the er needs psych meds. I’ve been told they can also do psychotherapy. I’m just confused as to what to do now. Should I just do my bio pre reqs, and then apply to the special masters AND masters in psychology and see where I get in? I missed the deadlines for the psych programs. Also the math I’m taking in the fall will help with the GRE. I was told I can do everything a psychologist can as a psychiatrist. Psychiatrist usually prescribe because they get paid more for it but I’ll forgo the little kick back and just charge for the therapy. I know a lot of psychiatrists that hold off on meds until at least a few or more sessions

Often you get pigeon holed into a position because of your credentialing. I think neuropsychologists end up specializing in interpreting brain imaging and organicity. That kind of gets outside of my knowledge base. I don't think you are hearing what I am trying to lay out. Psychiatrists are ONLY seen when individuals are looking for medication. Not that you would have to prescribe but that is kinda the scope of practice. If you are saying you would really like to NOT prescribe meds than you may not want to pursue psychiatry. Another way to say this is that you would never get hired as a psychiatrist to do what a psychologist can do. Psychiatrist get paid and hired to prescribe meds. I do think as a psychologist you can do therapy and other testing and that might be a good fit.

I think I may be confusing you now. I guess the question I have for you is "why do you want to go to med school"? It seems you want to minimize medication use and to apply medication only if necessary. Psychologists work in hospitals and clinics and often are the individuals clarifying difficult diagnosis to clarify if medication is needed, or to make sure that the diagnosis that informs on medication is correct. If you are motivated to create clarity to people about whether medication is a good option or something they could avoid...being a psychologist accomplishes that.

Does that help?

Members don't see this ad :)
Often you get pigeon holed into a position because of your credentialing. I think neuropsychologists end up specializing in interpreting brain imaging and organicity. That kind of gets outside of my knowledge base. I don't think you are hearing what I am trying to lay out. Psychiatrists are ONLY seen when individuals are looking for medication. Not that you would have to prescribe but that is kinda the scope of practice. If you are saying you would really like to NOT prescribe meds than you may not want to pursue psychiatry. Another way to say this is that you would never get hired as a psychiatrist to do what a psychologist can do. Psychiatrist get paid and hired to prescribe meds. I do think as a psychologist you can do therapy and other testing and that might be a good fit.

I think I may be confusing you now. I guess the question I have for you is "why do you want to go to med school"? It seems you want to minimize medication use and to apply medication only if necessary. Psychologists work in hospitals and clinics and often are the individuals clarifying difficult diagnosis to clarify if medication is needed, or to make sure that the diagnosis that informs on medication is correct. If you are motivated to create clarity to people about whether medication is a good option or something they could avoid...being a psychologist accomplishes that.

Does that help?
I’m perfectly understanding you. I want my own practice, also as a psychiatrist I would work in mental heath facilities and assess the client, and only prescribe when necessary. I’ve interned at a few places and many of the psychiatrist didn’t prescribe. Based on my research they’re extensively trained in psychotherapy aswell as medication. Every profession gets pigenheld. Also from my research psychologist don’t work in hospitals, only psychiatrist do that. I would go to med school because psychiatrist are trained in not only the anatomy and functioning of the brain but also psychotherapy and medication. I believe psychotherapy can be most effective but many times meds are needed to get a full effect and I wouldn’t want my patients going to another person as I know how tedious and frusterating it can be to juggle appointments. Seeing someone you barely know or trust, etc. it’s certainlt true many think they only prescribe, but When I was looking for psychiatrist, ive came across many who use psychotherapy to the fullest extent before using medication.

At this point I missed the deadlines for masters in psychology programs. Also, my classes in the fall would help prepare me for the GRE. I’m very interested in neuropsychology as that may get all I’m interested in. The only issue is idk if they can become licensed psychologist and perform therapy. You and I are both confused on that, sadly. Basically I’m looking for a field that gives me all capabilities. Therapy, understanding of behavior and brain function as well as the neurotransmitters and chemicals of the brain, ability to prescribe IF ABSOLUTLEY NECESSARY.

I’m perfectly understanding you. I want my own practice, also as a psychiatrist I would work in mental heath facilities and assess the client, and only prescribe when necessary. I’ve interned at a few places and many of the psychiatrist didn’t prescribe. Based on my research they’re extensively trained in psychotherapy aswell as medication. Every profession gets pigenheld. Also from my research psychologist don’t work in hospitals, only psychiatrist do that. I would go to med school because psychiatrist are trained in not only the anatomy and functioning of the brain but also psychotherapy and medication. I believe psychotherapy can be most effective but many times meds are needed to get a full effect and I wouldn’t want my patients going to another person as I know how tedious and frusterating it can be to juggle appointments. Seeing someone you barely know or trust, etc. it’s certainlt true many think they only prescribe, but When I was looking for psychiatrist, ive came across many who use psychotherapy to the fullest extent before using medication.

At this point I missed the deadlines for masters in psychology programs. Also, my classes in the fall would help prepare me for the GRE. I’m very interested in neuropsychology as that may get all I’m interested in. The only issue is idk if they can become licensed psychologist and perform therapy. You and I are both confused on that, sadly. Basically I’m looking for a field that gives me all capabilities. Therapy, understanding of behavior and brain function as well as the neurotransmitters and chemicals of the brain, ability to prescribe IF ABSOLUTLEY NECESSARY.

Does that help?
According to the American psychiatric association psychiatrists do everything I’m interested in, they do heavy psychotherapy aswell. I always thought they just to medications which is why I was iffy about it. But they can also order medical evaluations such as scans and imaging of the brain. I really want to thank you for helping me thoroughly think about this and you influenced me to research more and think harder about what I’m looking for. Thank you for that!:) I think I can make a big difference in the field and do a good job at dispelling the practice of shoving meds at a patient and focus on the patient first and meds later THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Reactions: 1 user
According to the American psychiatric association psychiatrists do everything I’m interested in, they do heavy psychotherapy aswell. I always thought they just to medications which is why I was iffy about it. But they can also order medical evaluations such as scans and imaging of the brain. I really want to thank you for helping me thoroughly think about this and you influenced me to research more and think harder about what I’m looking for. Thank you for that!:) I think I can make a big difference in the field and do a good job at dispelling the practice of shoving meds at a patient and focus on the patient first and meds later THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Glad I helped? lol! Good luck to you as you move forward on your path! I wish you well!

I can do research as a psychiatrist?! I can also do imaging?

Yes and yes. You need additional research training (a fellowship) to do research competently, but yes.

Well if I get my PhD as a neuropsychologist I’m trying to figure out if I can take the EPPP because then I’ll be a licensed psychologist and can do therapy.

If you become a neuropsychologist, your PhD would be in clinical psychology. Neuropsychology is a specialty within clinical psychology. You get the broad clinical training first, and then you specialize. You would have to become a licensed psychologist in order to provide clinical services as a neuropsychologist. Hopefully that makes sense.

There's so much misinformation in this post, my head is spinning.

1. Psychologists AND psychiatrists can work in a variety of settings, INCLUDING hospitals, private practice, and community mental health agencies, to name a few. Their job duties are likely to vary depending on setting.

2. Psychologists are able to provide therapy, psych testing, consultation, supervision, and serve in administrative roles. Some do primarily therapy and some might split among a few roles. They are also able to teach and conduct research.

3. Psychiatrists are trained as medical doctors first. Then specialize in psychiatry. They can do therapy and prescribe medication. It will probably be location dependent on who prescribes and who provides therapy. In some areas it's meds only. In other areas, they provide therapy. It will also depend on insurance vs cash pay.

4. Neuropsychologists are CLINICAL psychologists first, and through training specialize in neuropsychological concepts. They may do testing or consultation, rarely do they do therapy, but they have been trained in it.

5. Masters level providers (LMHC/LPC/LCSW/LICSW - title depends on state) can provide therapy, to the extent allowed by license regulations. Social work programs do address policy and other non-counseling topics, but in many states they can provide therapy too. Mental health counseling programs generally provide more counseling training than SW programs. But there are exceptions.

I'm sure there are other misconceptions that I missed but these are the ones that caught my eye.

Reactions: 8 users

1. Psychologists AND psychiatrists can work in a variety of settings, INCLUDING hospitals, private practice, and community mental health agencies, to name a few. Their job duties are likely to vary depending on setting.

2. Psychologists are able to provide therapy, psych testing, consultation, supervision, and serve in administrative roles. Some do primarily therapy and some might split among a few roles. They are also able to teach and conduct research.

3. Psychiatrists are trained as medical doctors first. Then specialize in psychiatry. They can do therapy and prescribe medication. It will probably be location dependent on who prescribes and who provides therapy. In some areas it's meds only. In other areas, they provide therapy. It will also depend on insurance vs cash pay.

4. Neuropsychologists are CLINICAL psychologists first, and through training specialize in neuropsychological concepts. They may do testing or consultation, rarely do they do therapy, but they have been trained in it.

5. Masters level providers (LMHC/LPC/LCSW/LICSW - title depends on state) can provide therapy, to the extent allowed by license regulations. Social work programs do address policy and other non-counseling topics, but in many states they can provide therapy too. Mental health counseling programs generally provide more counseling training than SW programs. But there are exceptions.

I'm sure there are other misconceptions that I missed but these are the ones that caught my eye.
Only one more to add on the medical side of things. You don't just "bang out" a special master's program and get accepted into medical school. There are a lot of pieces to a med school application and the vast majority of people who start down that road don't ever get an acceptance. I suggest OP checks out the pre-med side of this site so he knows what he's getting into

Only one more to add on the medical side of things. You don't just "bang out" a special master's program and get accepted into medical school. There are a lot of pieces to a med school application and the vast majority of people who start down that road don't ever get an acceptance. I suggest OP checks out the pre-med side of this site so he knows what he's getting into
I know I don’t automatically get in. The special masters is to make my application more competitive in terms of GPA. The special masters also guarantees an interview with the linkage medical school if I get above a certain GPA.

SMP and certain post bacc programs are designed for people who for some reason performed less than their true ability in their undergrad. The programs require you to take the MCAT and usually put you in classes along side first year medical students to see how you can match up. They also provide oppurtunities to bolster other parts of your resume such ECs like shadowing doctors, internships, volunteerships. They provide counseling on helping you prepare your med school application aswell.a lot of the applications have linkage programs with many schools that provide accelerated application and interviews but no guarantees of admittance. However, a large percentage of candidates who do very well in the program often find their way in some school. I apologize for the language, and making sound like I think I’ll walk into med school. I do not.

I wouldn't say rarely. I can list more than a handful in my city who do neuropsychological assessment and therapy, myself included. I would say definitely less common, but there are still many who do. And that's not even counting those in more rehab contexts.

SMP and certain post bacc programs are designed for people who for some reason performed less than their true ability in their undergrad. The programs require you to take the MCAT and usually put you in classes along side first year medical students to see how you can match up. They also provide oppurtunities to bolster other parts of your resume such ECs like shadowing doctors, internships, volunteerships. They provide counseling on helping you prepare your med school application aswell.a lot of the applications have linkage programs with many schools that provide accelerated application and interviews but no guarantees of admittance. However, a large percentage of candidates who do very well in the program often find their way in some school. I apologize for the language, and making sound like I think I’ll walk into med school. I do not.
Ok, glad you did your research, and I'm not trying to discourage you from going for it! I just wanted to make sure you knew all that it would take, but it sounds like you do. Just keep in mind programs like you're describing are quite difficult and generally very expensive, and if you don't do well the first time your med school chances are pretty much shot, so be ready to work hard. Only other thing I would recommend to you is to make sure you do a fair amount of shadowing of both psychiatrists and clinical psychologists (preferably in different settings as well) during your post-bac year. If you're entering med school with very specific career goals and only one specialty option (psychiatry) you need to know for a fact that it is what you want to do with your life. Good luck!

I wouldn't say rarely. I can list more than a handful in my city who do neuropsychological assessment and therapy, myself included. I would say definitely less common, but there are still many who do. And that's not even counting those in more rehab contexts.
Wiseneuro, you’re listed as a neuropsychologist. My understanding is that people in that field do research and studies on the brain and beahvior, but also provide psychotherapy since they are a clinical psychologist. My question to you is, do I need to have basic biology courses as pre reqs. Or can I do an MA in psychology and apply for PhD programs of psychology with emphasis on neuropsychology? It seems that I have more of a chance to make it into a grad program for psychology, however that means waiting a few months to a year for applications to open up. I’m trying to decide if o should go the medschool route which would involve post bacc and masters or going to graduate school for psychology which would mean GRE classes and waiting. My main goal is to be able to study human behavior and the brain aswel as be able to provide clinical counseling and help people better their lives from understanding their behavior and thoughts and how to control them. The more I read about psychiatry turning away from therapy the more I’m drawn to psychology.

"got my BS in psychology, I had a 3.1 cumulative and 3.2 major. "

I don't think you're likely get into PhD programs in psychology with a 3.1 GPA regardless of what you get on the GRE unless you have substantial things to counter it such as a first author publication in a high tier journal, minority status, or some other sort of connection. Meaning, you're going to need to post-bac work regardless of med school or psych. Clin psych isn't easier to get into than med school. . . if you don't count pay for play.
I addressed that, I made it fully clear that I’m not competitive for PhD programs, hence why i would do a masters first

"It seems that I have more of a chance to make it into a grad program for psychology."

More of a chance than what? A post-bac for med school? I'm confused. Point being, you're going to need to invest about the same amount of time to do either route.

Also, a masters degree will cost you money, most likely. Need to consider your cumulative costs in terms of opportunity cost and debt/outlay.
More of a chance to be admitted to a program, you’re right. I don’t want to invest more money for the post bacc if I don’t need it. There are some decent jobs I can get with my BS and save money for a GRE program to prepare for the GRE. The masters I would use a loan for, but it seems like a masters would be more of a helpful route to a PhD program in psychology with emphasis on neuropsychology.

Wiseneuro, you’re listed as a neuropsychologist. My understanding is that people in that field do research and studies on the brain and beahvior, but also provide psychotherapy since they are a clinical psychologist. My question to you is, do I need to have basic biology courses as pre reqs. Or can I do an MA in psychology and apply for PhD programs of psychology with emphasis on neuropsychology? It seems that I have more of a chance to make it into a grad program for psychology, however that means waiting a few months to a year for applications to open up. I’m trying to decide if o should go the medschool route which would involve post bacc and masters or going to graduate school for psychology which would mean GRE classes and waiting. My main goal is to be able to study human behavior and the brain aswel as be able to provide clinical counseling and help people better their lives from understanding their behavior and thoughts and how to control them. The more I read about psychiatry turning away from therapy the more I’m drawn to psychology.

Neuropsychologists do a wide variety of things. If you want to do research, that path is definitely one way to go, although the same caveat applies with most research positions. There aren't many, and there is a lot of competition for them. Most of us in the clinical realm are doing mostly neuropsych assessments. A much smaller portion also engage in some therapy services. Basic bio courses would be the minimum of pre-reqs, really. You'll need a good deal of anatomy and physio as well. You'll need neuroanatomy and neuroscience as well, but some of that can be had at the grad school level.

Definitely take some time to do some research and delineate what different careers do, and what the path is like to get there. There is a lot of confusion and misinformation in this thread. None of the career choices posed in this thread are to be undertaken lightly, and it seems that it may behoove you to do a deeper dive into the requirements, timelines, and day to day jobs of these things.

Neuropsychologists do a wide variety of things. If you want to do research, that path is definitely one way to go, although the same caveat applies with most research positions. There aren't many, and there is a lot of competition for them. Most of us in the clinical realm are doing mostly neuropsych assessments. A much smaller portion also engage in some therapy services. Basic bio courses would be the minimum of pre-reqs, really. You'll need a good deal of anatomy and physio as well. You'll need neuroanatomy and neuroscience as well, but some of that can be had at the grad school level.

Definitely take some time to do some research and delineate what different careers do, and what the path is like to get there. There is a lot of confusion and misinformation in this thread. None of the career choices posed in this thread are to be undertaken lightly, and it seems that it may behoove you to do a deeper dive into the requirements, timelines, and day to day jobs of these things.
All the research I can find on neuropsychologist suggest they operate in hospitals and health centers doing research and assessing brain Injuries, playing a role in what treatment should be had. I also understand (to the best of my knowledge) that neuropsychologists are still clinical psychologist and can do therapies while it may not be the main scope. I can’t find too many pre-reqs for the field. My biggest issue is whether I should do these bio programs now or apply to master in psychology programs when they open because it seems like a lot of the grad programs have courses in neuropsychology and neuroanatomy

All the research I can find on neuropsychologist suggest they operate in hospitals and health centers doing research and assessing brain Injuries, playing a role in what treatment should be had. I also understand (to the best of my knowledge) that neuropsychologists are still clinical psychologist and can do therapies while it may not be the main scope. I can’t find too many pre-reqs for the field. My biggest issue is whether I should do these bio programs now or apply to master in psychology programs when they open because it seems like a lot of the grad programs have courses in neuropsychology and neuroanatomy

I would say that the majority of us in clinical work are more generalist. In the past few months alone I have seen patients with brain injury, Alzhemier's Lewy Body Dementia, stroke, CADASIL, early onset AD, epilepsy, MS, Parkinson's, drug induced delirium, likely med (anticholinergic) induced cognitive effects, and a variety of people with psychiatric disorders that are influencing their cognitive profile. Only a small proportion are doing solely TBI work. Therapy is probably 5-10% of my job.

Pre-reqs matter more in terms of the clinical psych program you are getting into. After that, you need to look at the Houston Conference guidelines more than anything. How do you see your next decade working if you take this route?

I would say that the majority of us in clinical work are more generalist. In the past few months alone I have seen patients with brain injury, Alzhemier's Lewy Body Dementia, stroke, CADASIL, early onset AD, epilepsy, MS, Parkinson's, drug induced delirium, likely med (anticholinergic) induced cognitive effects, and a variety of people with psychiatric disorders that are influencing their cognitive profile. Only a small proportion are doing solely TBI work. Therapy is probably 5-10% of my job.

Pre-reqs matter more in terms of the clinical psych program you are getting into. After that, you need to look at the Houston Conference guidelines more than anything. How do you see your next decade working if you take this route?
Oh, wow, so I would be spending more time with patients with brain injury or significant mental health issues if I spend any time with patients at all? If I were to take the medical school route the way I see my next years progressing (hopefully) is 1-do my post bacc in biology and do my pre reqs 2- do my masters in biology. The program puts me in with other medical students and is a year long and students who have a 3.6 their first semester gets an automatic interview with the link medical school. Then do wel on the MCAT. 3- make it to medical school, 4- do a psychiatry residency and become a psychiatrist.

If I were to do masters in psychology. 1- get my MA in psychology. 2- take the GRE 3- do a phd program. 4- take the EPPP, 5- do psychology.

If I were to do neuropsychologist, I had believed I would do a similar route as the psychologist route except choose a program that offers a emphasis in neuropsychology. Then do research on brain trauma and behavior and also see patients in a clinical setting.

I should say, I’m more interested in working with clients in a clinical setting than I am in doing research. So It seems that psychologist would be the best fit, but I’ve been reading psychologists make little money, only 70-80k with little upward trend

I still think there's some disconnect here. Also, you need to think a good deal on what you actually want to be doing on a day to day basis. All of the options you have brought up, look drastically different when it comes down to our workday.

Yes, the route of the psychiatrist, on average, definitely carries higher earning potential. But, the 70-80k range is WAY too low for neuropsychs with a good background. Many of us are early career (less than 10 years from postdoc) and are over six figures. If you want to do forensic work, your ceiling is much higher. Check out salary surveys. Neuropsych has it's own. But, salary is really secondary, anyone can make well into six figures in either career. I'd really be focusing on what you want to do, what is going to be fulfilling to you. Especially with the state of healthcare as it stands.

I still think there's some disconnect here. Also, you need to think a good deal on what you actually want to be doing on a day to day basis. All of the options you have brought up, look drastically different when it comes down to our workday.

Yes, the route of the psychiatrist, on average, definitely carries higher earning potential. But, the 70-80k range is WAY too low for neuropsychs with a good background. Many of us are early career (less than 10 years from postdoc) and are over six figures. If you want to do forensic work, your ceiling is much higher. Check out salary surveys. Neuropsych has it's own. But, salary is really secondary, anyone can make well into six figures in either career. I'd really be focusing on what you want to do, what is going to be fulfilling to you. Especially with the state of healthcare as it stands.
Well, I really want to help people psychologically. I want to help people dive into their thoughts and behaviors and help them address why they do it and help them fix that. I’m assuming that I’m best describing a psychologist. But when I brought up the 80k salary of a psychologist my professor who is a psychologist laughed and said “i don’t know any decent psychologist making less than 6 figures”. I guess I’ll
Have to realize that I can’t have my cake and eat it too, meaning I can’t do ABSOLUTLEY everything I want because sometimes they don’t intersect. From my research psychologists can do behavioral research if they want, most have to if their employed as professors. The good thing is they often do therapy aswell. Now, my issue is deciding whether taking the few months off school and preparing for the GRE.

^^^^ OP I highly recommend you try to get some psychiatrist and clinical psychologist/neuropsych shadowing done before you proceed with more expensive schooling. If you start calling up clinicians now you can hopefully get it all done before admissions deadlines for the programs you've been looking at.

^^^^ OP I highly recommend you try to get some psychiatrist and clinical psychologist/neuropsych shadowing done before you proceed with more expensive schooling. If you start calling up clinicians now you can hopefully get it all done before admissions deadlines for the programs you've been looking at.

This would not be viewed kindly by HIPPA. Meeting for career advice would be a possibility though.

This would not be viewed kindly by HIPPA. Meeting for career advice would be a possibility though.
I can't imagine it being treated any differently from normal clinical shadowing of say a primary care physician, at least from a legal perspective; although the extra layer of confidentiality and "closeness" associated with psychiatrist-patient relationship due to stigmatization may very well turn psychiatrists away from allowing shadowing personally. I can't speak for psychologists since I'm just a pre-med, but I have known people to shadow psychiatrists.

Well, I really want to help people psychologically. I want to help people dive into their thoughts and behaviors and help them address why they do it and help them fix that. I’m assuming that I’m best describing a psychologist. But when I brought up the 80k salary of a psychologist my professor who is a psychologist laughed and said “i don’t know any decent psychologist making less than 6 figures”. I guess I’ll
Have to realize that I can’t have my cake and eat it too, meaning I can’t do ABSOLUTLEY everything I want because sometimes they don’t intersect. From my research psychologists can do behavioral research if they want, most have to if their employed as professors. The good thing is they often do therapy aswell. Now, my issue is deciding whether taking the few months off school and preparing for the GRE.

Although I have only been peripherally involved in any substantial research since grad school, and any current research I do now is outcomes based in a large managed care system, I would discourage anyone not interested in the basic psychological science, including exploring empirical questions related to their clinical interest area(s), to NOT become a psychologist. They are many other fields where one "can help people psychologically" that do not necessitate such great involvement in the underlying science/psychological science (or take nearly as long to complete), including but not limited to clinical social work, professional counselors, RNs working in psych (and not in psych), etc. I would not advise pursuing psychiatry unless you have a substantial interest in various fields of medicine and actually being a physician.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I can't imagine it being treated any differently from normal clinical shadowing of say a primary care physician, at least from a legal perspective; although the extra layer of confidentiality and "closeness" associated with psychiatrist-patient relationship due to stigmatization may very well turn psychiatrists away from allowing shadowing personally. I can't speak for psychologists since I'm just a pre-med, but I have known people to shadow psychiatrists.

The only person who is in the room with me when I see a patient is either my psychometrist, an intern, or a postdoc. I'm more than happy to talk with students, but they do not shadow me when I do clinical work. Way too many hoops to jump through, even if my system allowed it in the first place.

The only person who is in the room with me when I see a patient is either my psychometrist, an intern, or a postdoc. I'm more than happy to talk with students, but they do not shadow me when I do clinical work. Way too many hoops to jump through, even if my system allowed it in the first place.
That is completely understandable and I'm sure the norm for psychologists and psychiatrists, but to reiterate for OP: Shadowing psychiatrists is perfectly legal. It will generally be harder to find a willing psychiatrist than any other physician because of the fear it will interfere with the patient-provider relationship. It will likely be even more difficult to find a willing psychologist because they are not as accustomed to the concept of shadowing as a psychiatrist, who likely had to do it themselves to get into medical school.

If you are still pursing medical school/psychiatry I still recommend trying to shadow a psychiatrist as well as a few other medical specialties which you may not feel interested in at this point. Here is a good thread that talks about shadowing psychiatrists. It will likely take a fair amount of paperwork and you will get not get to see the patients that don't approve having a student in the room, but it is worth the trouble if you're committing the rest of your life and hundreds of thousands of dollars to a career path.

Shadowing a Psychiatrist, Who to Ask?

That is completely understandable and I'm sure the norm for psychologists and psychiatrists, but to reiterate for OP: Shadowing psychiatrists is perfectly legal. It will generally be harder to find a willing psychiatrist than any other physician because of the fear it will interfere with the patient-provider relationship.

Shadowing a Psychiatrist, Who to Ask?

I don't think its a fear of effecting the overall "doctor-patient relationship."

Its the reality of decreasing your patient's privacy protections and having it affect disclosers and discussions about the most intimate details of one's life. Read your social psychology textbook. We don't discuss blood pressure and moles and ****.

I don't think its a fear of effecting the overall "doctor-patient relationship."

Its the reality of decreasing your patient's privacy protections and having it affect disclosers and discussions about the most intimate details of one's life. Read your social psychology textbook. We don't discuss blood pressure and moles and ****.

Ok this thread is becoming increasingly condescending for no reason. I'm not trying to start an argument for or against the use of shadowing in a psych setting, so if that's what you want go post a thread about it. I'm trying to inform OP on what resources are available for him to make his decision on career paths and shadowing is one of them.

Although I have only been peripherally involved in any substantial research since grad school, and any current research I do now is outcomes based in a large managed care system, I would discourage anyone not interested in the basic psychological science, including exploring empirical questions related to their clinical interest area(s), to NOT become a psychologist. They are many other fields where one "can help people psychologically" that do not necessitate such great involvement in the underlying science/psychological science (or take nearly as long to complete), including but not limited to clinical social work, professional counselors, RNs working in psych (and not in psych), etc. I would not advise pursuing psychiatry unless you have a substantial interest in various fields of medicine and actually being a physician.
but that’s the thing, I AM interested j. Doing research ASWELL as clinically seeing patients, that’s why psychology is interesting me. For my research class We had to come up with our own idea, propose it to a mock IRB and all but do it (we were supposed to do it but ran out of time in the semester) it fascinated me. I’m on the fence about psychiatry because idk how interested I am in becoming an actual doctor, the human body and diseases really interest me, but I don’t think to the point of doing 1-11/2 years of pre req then the masters I need (to up my gpa) then 4 years of med school. I’m enamored by people like Freud and jung (yes I know their psychiatrists by title, but they played a HUGE role in psychology) dr. Jordan perterson is fascinating to me aswell. I DO want to do research, I think I’d be more inclined to research behavior than the brain even though I find the brain highly interesting. We had to do other research such as social research on how people behaved when observed in certain situations and it fascinated me. The only cool thing about psychiatry I can see is that I’m a medical doctor. But I’m not concerned with what’s cool. If my interests are in research as well as treating patients clinically, would my best path be psychology?

Ok this thread is becoming increasingly condescending for no reason. I'm not trying to start an argument for or against the use of shadowing in a psych setting, so if that's what you want go post a thread about it. I'm trying to inform OP on what resources are available for him to make his decision on career paths and shadowing is one of them.

If the OP is interested in shadowing psychiatrists it might be worthwhile to post in the Psychiatry forum and ask about the feasibility of this. Several psychologists have weighed in about the [slim] prospects for shadowing a psychologist.

IMO the best way to "shadow" a professional is to work in the same setting - for example, being a psychometrist performing testing for a psychologist, or a mental health technician working in a psychiatric hospital. It teaches you about the roles of these professionals but also about the system/setting.

I DO want to do research, I think I’d be more inclined to research behavior than the brain even though I find the brain highly interesting.

1. Do you have research experience? If not, getting research experience will help whether regardless of the career route you choose.

2. What sorts of research questions interest you? You can certainly go to medical school without a clear research focus, but to get into a PhD program you need to be able to articulate some specific topics/areas that interest you (and make sure those fit with a faculty member who can mentor you in said topic).

1. Do you have research experience? If not, getting research experience will help whether regardless of the career route you choose.

2. What sorts of research questions interest you? You can certainly go to medical school without a clear research focus, but to get into a PhD program you need to be able to articulate some specific topics/areas that interest you (and make sure those fit with a faculty member who can mentor you in said topic).
I am interested in human behavior and how it relates to various circumstances through life. Such as how people who score differently on the BIG 5 behave in relationships and how they hold relationships.

I’ve found that a majority of the MA programs will provide that experience as most of them require research thesis during the program

I am interested in human behavior and how it relates to various circumstances through life. Such as how people who score differently on the BIG 5 behave in relationships and how they hold relationships.

I’ve found that a majority of the MA programs will provide that experience as most of them require research thesis during the program

OK. I'm lost though. Where does neuropsychology/brain research enter into this?

As I suggested in your other thread (can we now move everything to this thread, please?), a master's program would be a good way to strengthen your academic record and research experience before applying to a doctoral program.

but that’s the thing, I AM interested j. Doing research ASWELL as clinically seeing patients, that’s why psychology is interesting me. For my research class We had to come up with our own idea, propose it to a mock IRB and all but do it (we were supposed to do it but ran out of time in the semester) it fascinated me. I’m on the fence about psychiatry because idk how interested I am in becoming an actual doctor, the human body and diseases really interest me, but I don’t think to the point of doing 1-11/2 years of pre req then the masters I need (to up my gpa) then 4 years of med school. I’m enamored by people like Freud and jung (yes I know their psychiatrists by title, but they played a HUGE role in psychology) dr. Jordan perterson is fascinating to me aswell. I DO want to do research, I think I’d be more inclined to research behavior than the brain even though I find the brain highly interesting. We had to do other research such as social research on how people behaved when observed in certain situations and it fascinated me. The only cool thing about psychiatry I can see is that I’m a medical doctor. But I’m not concerned with what’s cool. If my interests are in research as well as treating patients clinically, would my best path be psychology?

No one can answer this for you. You sound like you want to be a therapist, primarily, which means you have about half dozen fields and options open to you.

Clinical Psychology, and sub-fields within it such as clinical neuropsychology will take substantial academic credentials and an interest in being more than just a therapist and research being "intellectually interesting."

Clinical neuropsychology in particular will take a significant interest and understanding of neuroscience, research/statistics, and of course what this professional actually does on a daily basis. Which is largely the administration and clinical interpretation and integration, via a written report, of psychological and neuropsychological tests of various psychiatric and neurologic patients. Forensic and other clinical consultations come with the work too, but this is still the primary job description of a clinical neuropsychologist.

After graduate school, personally, my thoughts were that if I have to give one person as WAIS (a common intellectual test), I might just kick some one in the nuts. So...take that for what its worth.

Last edited:
If the OP is interested in shadowing psychiatrists it might be worthwhile to post in the Psychiatry forum and ask about the feasibility of this. Several psychologists have weighed in about the [slim] prospects for shadowing a psychologist.

IMO the best way to "shadow" a professional is to work in the same setting - for example, being a psychometrist performing testing for a psychologist, or a mental health technician working in a psychiatric hospital. It teaches you about the roles of these professionals but also about the system/setting.
I agree working is always the best form of "shadowing". I'm not sure how long it takes to become a psychometrist, but I think part of the problem is OP seems to need to make this decision quickly. Anyways, my vote is to pursue psychology. Research and clinical work can both be achieved by either path, but thematically speaking OP seems to be much more interested in psychology than in being a medical doctor which is what a psychiatrist is. If he is still considering psychiatry though, a post in that side of the forums might be worthwhile so he can get some psychiatrists opinions.