1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Confused by different Graduate Schools

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by MemberLA, Aug 7, 2011.

1. MemberLA

Psychology Student
    So here's my deal:

I live in L.A. and I am applying to Pepperdine University for my MFT. I want to apply to other schools in L.A for my master's. So far I have looked at Argosy, Antioch, Phillips, and School of Chicago.

I am SO CONFUSED by the difference between a known university like Pepperdine and these other schools??? Are all these schools accredited the same? Will I be able to practice as a therapist regardless of which school I go to? Are there tiers of which grad schools are higher ranked?

Please help me. I am applying for the spring and deadlines are coming up. I am new to this site, now sure how everything works... but if you know a lot about my questions please message me on here. I'd love to talk more to you about this.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Markp

Markp Clinical Psychologist
    7+ Year Member

Psychologist
  4. MemberLA

Psychology Student
    Thanks for responding. I took a look at the link, it was a bit difficult to understand. But, its clear that there is a difference between schools that are APA accredited and those that not- at least on a doctoral level. Still unclear the differences on a masters level. But, I assume it might be hard to get clients if they have never heard of your school.

Pepperdine is APA accredited, although I'll just be going for my master's so I guess that doesn't matter. I wish I could just apply to get my doctorate. As I hear that if you do a master's than go for a doctorate you will have to repeat all your classes.

But, I don't think I would ever get accepted to a PH.D program. I didn't study psychology in undergrad. I have zero experience in this field, and I don't even feel like I am a candidate to even getting accepted.

I am really lost, and it would be helpful to have some guidance.

Is it a mistake to just be applying to Pepperdine? Am I overlooking something? If my end goal is to have a doctorate should I not waste my time getting a masters?

5. cara susanna

10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    If you just want an MFT, then you don't really have to worry about match rates. You should worry about cost and accreditation. There's a Masters forum on this website that will likely be a better place to post this question.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=207

6. futureapppsy2

futureapppsy2 Assistant professor
    Moderator Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

:thumbup:

Moving this to the Master's forum.