1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Confused by different Graduate Schools

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by MemberLA, Aug 7, 2011.

1. MemberLA

Psychology Student
    So here's my deal:

I live in L.A. and I am applying to Pepperdine University for my MFT. I want to apply to other schools in L.A for my master's. So far I have looked at Argosy, Antioch, Phillips, and School of Chicago.

I am SO CONFUSED by the difference between a known university like Pepperdine and these other schools??? Are all these schools accredited the same? Will I be able to practice as a therapist regardless of which school I go to? Are there tiers of which grad schools are higher ranked?

Please help me. I am applying for the spring and deadlines are coming up. I am new to this site, now sure how everything works... but if you know a lot about my questions please message me on here. I'd love to talk more to you about this.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Markp

Markp Clinical Psychologist
    7+ Year Member

Psychologist
  4. MemberLA

Psychology Student
    Thanks for responding. I took a look at the link, it was a bit difficult to understand. But, its clear that there is a difference between schools that are APA accredited and those that not- at least on a doctoral level. Still unclear the differences on a masters level. But, I assume it might be hard to get clients if they have never heard of your school.

Pepperdine is APA accredited, although I'll just be going for my master's so I guess that doesn't matter. I wish I could just apply to get my doctorate. As I hear that if you do a master's than go for a doctorate you will have to repeat all your classes.

But, I don't think I would ever get accepted to a PH.D program. I didn't study psychology in undergrad. I have zero experience in this field, and I don't even feel like I am a candidate to even getting accepted.

I am really lost, and it would be helpful to have some guidance.

Is it a mistake to just be applying to Pepperdine? Am I overlooking something? If my end goal is to have a doctorate should I not waste my time getting a masters?

5. cara susanna

10+ Year Member

Psychologist
    If you just want an MFT, then you don't really have to worry about match rates. You should worry about cost and accreditation. There's a Masters forum on this website that will likely be a better place to post this question.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=207

6. futureapppsy2

futureapppsy2 Assistant professor
    Moderator Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

:thumbup:

Moving this to the Master's forum.