confused- do I stand a chance at all? Or do I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ninja23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Junior right now but I'll graduate next Winter (one semester early). By the time I graduate I'll have a 2.9 because I had a bad 2nd year of college because some close family members passed away and I just went through a lot of emotional crap and it ruined my GPA. I also failed organic and retook it and got a C so I'm worried about that and my other science grades arnt too great either. But its been my dream to be a doctor since I was about 4 and now I'm worried/angry that I might not stand a chance anywhere (US or Caribbean). I havn't taken the MCATS but I will once I graduate. I'm also looking at MPH and MHA programs to apply to but Med school is always going to be on my mind. I have good ECs (research, volunteer work in the US and abroad, awards and honors outside of school, club/organization member) and should get decent recomendations.

Should I do a Post bacc and try to bring my GPA up? or will it not matter considering I'm a health sci major? Should I retake some of the science courses at other schools? (ie orgo,physics and microbio):(

Any sound advice would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

There is always hope. Just do what you can to bring up your GPA (e.g. post bacc) and work on killing the MCAT. Don't give up, and good luck :thumbup:

There is always hope. Just do what you can to bring up your GPA (e.g. post bacc) and work on killing the MCAT. Don't give up, and good luck :thumbup:

Post Bacc is the way to go, good advice TRN1983 :thumbup:

Good luck Ninja23 :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
if it's your dream do NOT give it up for anything. you should search the many different threads about low GPAs. your GPA is bad but you definitely can do a post-bac to bring it up. don't graduate early, take some upper level science classes and get As. what's your cGPA and sGPA exactly? make sure you have good clinical exposure: volunteering etc. try to do something that you are passionate about but is something different. also consider a medical mission abroad, i hear it's a cool experience and i wish i had done something like that.

and check this thread out
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=563567&page=3

i wish you the very best. don't let anyone tell you, you can't make if. if you have a dream and work towards it, you WILL make it. you have to believe in yourself. GOOD LUCK! start working hard now, plan everything and it will work out

Retake failed classes, get As, apply DO (they let you replace retaken classes grades while MD doesnt). As long as you score in the 28+ range you will have a good shot at a DO acceptance (assuming your ECs ar ein order). Trying to prep your app for MD seems like a huge waste of time/energy when you can go the DO route much sooner and ultimately see the same end result.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the words of encouragement :)

so I should retake the classes I didnt do so well in, look at DO schools, and pursue a post-bacc...

I was a little hazy on the whole post-bacc deal because I read somewhere that if your a science major, doing a post-bacc doesnt do much to help but I guess its really not the case.

One last thing: would taking courses at another institution as a non matriculating student help also, say if it was a grad school or a med school?