Confused DO question about applying to MD match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from a DO school last year and didn't match. I am reapplying this year.
I remember last year that someone applying to derm and transitional years made a big mistake with her rank list and that was the presumed reason she didn't match, I don't remember what she did that was wrong and I just want to make sure that I don't make the same mistake.
I want to rank one residency program (psychiatry) as my first choice in the allopathic match and one transitional year as my second choice (back up plan)in the allopathic match. Will this be ok? Will I be doing anything wrong if I do it like this?

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember this right.....the person I'm thinking about was applying derm and had a supplemental rank list for the transitional year but then didn't list the transitional years under derm on the primary list as a backup if he/she didn't match derm. I believe he or she assumed it would automatically go to the supplemental rank list even if he or she didn't match derm (which it doesn't).

Just make sure to list your backups below top specialty on your primary rank list.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=611286

Last edited:
I want to rank one residency program (psychiatry) as my first choice in the allopathic match and one transitional year as my second choice (back up plan)in the allopathic match. Will this be ok? Will I be doing anything wrong if I do it like this?

Aside from ranking only 2 programs after failing to match last year? No.

You have the technicalities straight.

Your strategy on the other hand is horrible.

Aside from ranking only 2 programs after failing to match last year? No.

You have the technicalities straight.

Your strategy on the other hand is horrible.

LOL, thanks:). I did rank programs in the DO match as well and I'm limited by geography due to family reasons. There aren't many psychiatry residency programs in my area.

Thanks, Bitsy.