Confused Future DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megswinter82

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I recentenly received an acceptance to my first choice, Ohio University! I am really excited, absolutely love the school and can definitely see myself there. I have a few concerns. From reading this forum it seems like there are some things I should be worried about. Lack of DO residencies? Too many schools opening meaning too many DO's for the few DO residencies we have? Do you have to take the USMLE to do an allopathic residency or will the COMLEX be good enough? At this point I am interested mostly in primary care (FP, IM) so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Also, is it true that you get used to the site/smell of blood and guts and everything in between. Would volunteering in an ER be a good way for me to "start to get used to it" before starting?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Or post any helpful websites!

Thank You,

megswinter82

Members don't see this ad.

megswinter82 said:
Hi all! I recentenly received an acceptance to my first choice, Ohio University! I am really excited, absolutely love the school and can definitely see myself there. I have a few concerns. From reading this forum it seems like there are some things I should be worried about. Lack of DO residencies? Too many schools opening meaning too many DO's for the few DO residencies we have? Do you have to take the USMLE to do an allopathic residency or will the COMLEX be good enough? At this point I am interested mostly in primary care (FP, IM) so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Also, is it true that you get used to the site/smell of blood and guts and everything in between. Would volunteering in an ER be a good way for me to "start to get used to it" before starting?

Thank You,

megswinter82

1. AOA residencies are often unfilled because so many DO's do ACGME residencies. You will have the option to apply to both residencies. FP & IM are not very competitive, and you will easily find a residency through AOA or ACGME.

2. COMLEX is accepted for ACGME residencies, especially for primary care.

3. Yes, I highly recommend volunteering in the ER. I think all propective med students should do this. It will certainly help. I would suggest doing it this summer.

4. Congrats on your acceptance! Welcome to the family....

1st of all... congrates!! very exciting... about the allopathic residencies. a second year here at UNE told me he asked the residency from a big allopathic program what he should take. the residency director said basically... I legally have to accept the COMLEX, BUT, it takes like 10 minutes just to convert the score to USMLE score (not sure how true that is or not). If I've got 2000 applicants for 12 spots, and most of those have USMLE scores... I think you get the idea

I know myself, I'm going to take the USMLE, just to be safe... I'd hate to find some residency that I REALLY want to do, but am probably not going to get in because I didn't take the USMLE. But, that's just my opinion...

Members don't see this ad :)
jonb12997 said:
1st of all... congrates!! very exciting... about the allopathic residencies. a second year here at UNE told me he asked the residency from a big allopathic program what he should take. the residency director said basically... I legally have to accept the COMLEX, BUT, it takes like 10 minutes just to convert the score to USMLE score (not sure how true that is or not). If I've got 2000 applicants for 12 spots, and most of those have USMLE scores... I think you get the idea

I know myself, I'm going to take the USMLE, just to be safe... I'd hate to find some residency that I REALLY want to do, but am probably not going to get in because I didn't take the USMLE. But, that's just my opinion...

USMLE can be important for a more competitive residency, like surgery, but it wouldn't be as useful for primary care.

There are plenty of AOA spots for primary care as well.

jonb12997 said:
I legally have to accept the COMLEX, BUT, it takes like 10 minutes just to convert the score to USMLE score (not sure how true that is or not).

That's a first! I didn't think that it was possible, but who knows.

OSUdoc08 said:
USMLE can be important for a more competitive residency, like surgery, but it wouldn't be as useful for primary care.

this all depends on where you want to go. i want to do an IM residency, but i'm looking at spots in the southeast and therefore am going to have to take the usmle.

my goal is to do heme/onc and i'll have to do an md fellowship (because there's only one DO fellowship and i don't want to live in new jersey). in order to be board certified (or even just board eligible) i'll have to attend an acgme residency for IM followed by my fellowship. if i could find one, i could do a dually accredited program, but they're still few and far between for anything other than family practice.

to get to the point... as far as i'm concerned, take the usmle when it comes time. it won't close any doors by taking it, however, not taking certainly can. think of it as eliminating a very large obstacle that residency directors could use to weed you out. by taking it you're allowing them to compare apples to apples.

For those of you who are taking the USMLE, how much money are you going to end up spending total for both the COMLEX and USMLE? Also, how are you preparing for the USMLE and the COMLEX? Are the tests around the same time? How do you balance studying for TWO boards and classes? Also, do you have to take all the steps for the USMLE?

docslytherin said:
this all depends on where you want to go. i want to do an IM residency, but i'm looking at spots in the southeast and therefore am going to have to take the usmle.

my goal is to do heme/onc and i'll have to do an md fellowship (because there's only one DO fellowship and i don't want to live in new jersey). in order to be board certified (or even just board eligible) i'll have to attend an acgme residency for IM followed by my fellowship. if i could find one, i could do a dually accredited program, but they're still few and far between for anything other than family practice.

to get to the point... as far as i'm concerned, take the usmle when it comes time. it won't close any doors by taking it, however, not taking certainly can. think of it as eliminating a very large obstacle that residency directors could use to weed you out. by taking it you're allowing them to compare apples to apples.
It is my understanding that there are a good number of allopathic programs that accept COMLEX scores.

megswinter82 said:
For those of you who are taking the USMLE, how much money are you going to end up spending total for both the COMLEX and USMLE? Also, how are you preparing for the USMLE and the COMLEX? Are the tests around the same time? How do you balance studying for TWO boards and classes? Also, do you have to take all the steps for the USMLE?

$445 for USMLE
$375(ish) for COMLEX, I say ish because the 05 deadlines and pay fees still have not been finalized.

Yes, I'm studying for both, although their not too terribly different, just different styles of questions and I have to read Saveress for COMLEX, USMLE has more dates to choice from since it's a computer based test, COMLEX will be on computers starting in July, but that's too late for my class. And I can't speak for other schools, but 2nd year's classes are much easier to study for since i'm in a groove and the material covers much of 1st years topics anyways so I try to work in review while I'm studying for class.

As for the all the steps for COMLEX, I'm not sure, I think it will depend on what you plan on doing, but I would think that only the Step 1 would be needed for applying to residencies.

Also, pay attention to your state laws, the requirements vary from state to state to make things even more confusing.

You're really not studying for two tests. Almost all the review books you use for COMLEX are USMLE books. Other than OMM, the biomedical content is the same. COMLEX won't test you much on biochem, genetics, and molec, and the questions are phrased/formatted differently. I gave myself about a week between COMLEX and USMLE, took 2 days or so to recover and then took a couple days to review the aforementioned topics for USMLE. Taking USMLE saves you a lot of headaches if you want to look allopathic and, personally, part of the reason I took it was to see how I stacked up against everybody, not just DOs. Everyone I know did about the same on both tests...ie no one did well on COMLEX and bombed USMLE. You have plenty of time to decide! I'm an OU third year and having a great time on rotations, you've made a great decision!

OK, so i've been tooling around the forums and i've noticed quite a few people talking about being AOA, and that some residency programs use this status in their selections??? I know that DO's are not eligible to be AOA. How are DO's going to be competitive at allopathic residencies that use AOA as selection criteria? Will doing well on the USMLE be good enought?

My advice would be not to worry about taking the USMLE, unless like stated above you are planning on trying to get into a very competitive specialty i.e. surgery. Especially at OUCOM, COMLEX is basically accepted anywhere in Ohio. OUCOM has a great name and reputation everywhere in the state. I have spoken to many docs throughout the state and all have told me DO is the way to go. Also many places that are ACGME residencies gladly take DO grads into thier residencies including places like Cleveland Clinic, University Hospital of Cleveland, Arkons General, Akron City. Heck some students here have even interviewed at places out of state like MAYO clinic and Thomas Jefferson and they only took the COMLEX. So my advice to you is that if you plan on staying in the state, just take COMLEX unless you want to enter a very competitive specialty. I wouldnt worry about any of this now though, Congrats on your acceptance!!

The smells arent that great also. However, they are supposed to be remodeling the gross lab for your incoming class..not sure if it will be done though. Also when you get here sign up for a mentor, many of these mentors are local practitioners that will allow you to come and shadow them. This does not always mean you just stand there and watch, many times they let you get hands on experience, which is great during yr. I and II

megswinter82 said:
OK, so i've been tooling around the forums and i've noticed quite a few people talking about being AOA, and that some residency programs use this status in their selections??? I know that DO's are not eligible to be AOA. How are DO's going to be competitive at allopathic residencies that use AOA as selection criteria? Will doing well on the USMLE be good enought?

AOA is the American Osteopathic Association. An AOA residency is one that only DO's can apply to.

Alpha Omega Alpha has nothing to do with residencies.

megswinter82 said:

Thank You,
megswinter82

I really wouldn't stress about it. I graduated from a DO school and had no problem getting an allopathic residency and fellowship. I did not take the USMLE. Its true that there aren't very many DO residencies, but it isn't that tough to score an allopathic one, unless it is a super-competitive field (and btw, surgery isn't one of those anymore). If you have your heart set on Optho or Derm, then you're going to have to go after an osteopathic spot. Otherwise, if you want FP, IM, ER, etc, then you really will be able to chose between a DO and MD residency.
Volunteering in an ER isn't a bad idea. At the very least, you will be more accustomed to the "culture of medicine" (such as it is).
Congratulations and best of luck.

OSUdoc08 said:
I almost fell off my chair.

AOA is the American Osteopathic Association. An AOA residency is one that only DO's can apply to.

Alpha Omega Alpha has nothing to do with residencies.

you should sit back down. we're talking about allo residencies and the MD honor society.

Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) is the nationally accepted honor society for MD schools. Each MD school has their chapter, usually only the top 10% of the class is eligible for induction and members are selected by a committee based on grades, clinical evaluations etc.

AOA is the only really accepted medical honor society. Many very competitive allo residency programs specifically look for applicants that were AOA as an indication that they were amongst the top of their class.

DO's do not have a true equivalent to this. Sig Sig Phi is not accepted as a true honors society.

So it is a valid concern. In fact not having AOA or a true honors society is one of those issues that allows some of the allo residencies to stay in their old school mentality making it harder for DO's to slide up in there.

As for now, the only real answer is to do the best you can, keep your grades up, and show up with fatty USMLE score. That turns heads just as much if not more than being in AOA.