Confused...Need advice urgently

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartyus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my situtation, I have been accepted to MS and MPH programs.
For MS program, I am unable to advisor based on my research interest area. However, there are many other faculties who are carrying out other researches. But I want to utlize my back ground to strengthen my masters but due to lack of advisor, I'm hesistant in getting into masters. I don't want to screw up my career.
On the other hand, I have been accepted to MPH Epi but not sure about the career/jobs prospects post completion. I hear from people that the MPH jobs are not lucrative hence i am confused now.

Please help.
Thanks, smartyus.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

This is my situtation, I have been accepted to MS and MPH programs.
For MS program, I am unable to advisor based on my research interest area. However, there are many other faculties who are carrying out other researches. But I want to utlize my back ground to strengthen my masters but due to lack of advisor, I'm hesistant in getting into masters. I don't want to screw up my career.
On the other hand, I have been accepted to MPH Epi but not sure about the career/jobs prospects post completion. I hear from people that the MPH jobs are not lucrative hence i am confused now.

Please help.
Thanks, smartyus.

Huh?

Sorry, but I don't understand what the question is. You are deciding between an MS and an MPH, but just realized that they aren't "lucrative"?

Oh no...
I'd like to join MS but I'm unable to get an advisor in my areas of research interest.
where as I am unsure about the career/jobs propects in epidemiology field as I chosen epi for my MPH.

Which one of the above two are lucrative? Heard from many of the people that MPH jobs don't pay you much....

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no...
I'd like to join MS but I'm unable to get an advisor in my areas of research interest.
where as I am unsure about the career/jobs propects in epidemiology field as I chosen epi for my MPH.

Which one of the above two are lucrative? Heard from many of the people that MPH jobs don't pay you much....

We have very little information about this MS you want to do, in this thread. Also, if you know you won't be mostly happy with the MS program because you can't get an appropriate advisor, I'd just warn against enrolling because when you're stressed about your work, you won't do a good job in your major. You might as well do really well in the MPH than a shabby job for the MS, even IF the MS might pay a little bit more.

As far as salaries go, I highly doubt that the difference in the salaries between the two options is so huge that you should choose because of that factor, unless you plan to advance to a PhD from one of the two masters programs or something. Honestly, just do the one that sounds more interesting because that way, you will invest more effort into it and end up standing out from the crowd.

Finally, I believe you already asked about salaries for MPH in a previous thread, if I remember correctly: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=811311
I remember because I linked a post where I summarized salaries for different MPH careers.

Thanks you Swaffles. I appreciate your practical approach....