Confused,Need inputs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,congrats to everyone who's dream has come true and 2every1 else (including me)our turn will also come,I had posted this in the ''any moms out there'' thread and din't get any reply so have decided to bug everyone now.
I am an 32(will become 33 this yr) yr old mother of an adorable 2 yr old son(for whom I have found a babysitter whom he loves & this lady takes good care of him.),Now that my son is old enough I want to start my life again,problem is don't know what to do.
1.had an 84 on my part1 which I retook and got an 77:mad::mad:
2.so thought to do my mph and then get into teaching or any organizations ( have 3 yr experi in India in teaching and conduction survey and treatment camps & am quite interested in public health )
3.right now studying for my GRE:scared::scared:
4.Most places the MPH is 2yrs but can finsh it in 18 months,fees for MPH will be about 30-40+ K,start'g salary will be 50-60+ K and can go up till 160K(from what I found out).
5.main goal is to do my dds(even if I am an old hag @ that time:laugh:)
Good news is Have got my EAD.(hubby said that it'll take a long time to get gc,so uic is out )
Don't know whether to
A.Put my son in day care,get an part time job,retake my part1 and 2 and apply for 2010 and get another baby before I turn 35 and my dear hubby 40.
pro's :a.Do my DDS,Get baby and get to stay with kid for at least 6 months
b.down the lane will not feel like a failure.
Cons: Time lost ???,might not do well again in ndbe, Cash for 2 daycare's:eek::eek:
B.do my MPH,get a baby and forget doing my dds(will be forgoing my dream,may feel bad down the lane{after 20 or 30 yrs})
Looks very appealing in all ways except my dds ( sometimes think life is more than dds?)
one thing is sure would like to have another baby,come what may:laugh::D:D
presently live in chicago,so thinking of going to uic and trying for any job over there and continue with plan A.Am presently looking out for jobs as DA also
pls guide me and give me ur inputs.
pls do reply guys and gals.........

Members don't see this ad.

hi

i am mother of 4 month old son. confused and worried how to manage to study for my exams .

sanya123,
congrats on ur baby,if u have support now is the time to study,it will be difficult but not impossible,when I gave my exam my son was 5months old and I did not have anyone to help me take care of my son,except my hubby,but @ 5 months my son was with me most of the time(make that all most all of the time).
if u don't have anyone to help u out,ask ur hubby to cook,or adjust with whatever u cook,took my toefl when he was 8 months ( hardly got to study ).
U can do it,just start studying now.
best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,congrats to everyone who's dream has come true and 2every1 else (including me)our turn will also come,I had posted this in the ''any moms out there'' thread and din't get any reply so have decided to bug everyone now.
I am an 32(will become 33 this yr) yr old mother of an adorable 2 yr old son(for whom I have found a babysitter whom he loves & this lady takes good care of him.),Now that my son is old enough I want to start my life again,problem is don't know what to do.
2.so thought to do my mph and then get into teaching or any organizations ( have 3 yr experi in India in teaching and conduction survey and treatment camps & am quite interested in public health )
4.Most places the MPH is 2yrs but can finsh it in 18 months,fees for MPH will be about 30-40+ K,start'g salary will be 50-60+ K and can go up till 160K(from what I found out).
Good news is Have got my EAD.(hubby said that it'll take a long time to get gc,so uic is out )
Don't know whether to
A.Put my son in day care,get an part time job,retake my part1 and 2 and apply for 2010 and get another baby before I turn 35 and my dear hubby 40.
Cons: Time lost ???,might not do well again in ndbe, Cash for 2 daycare's:eek::eek:
B.do my MPH,get a baby and forget doing my dds(will be forgoing my dream,may feel bad down the lane{after 20 or 30 yrs})
Looks very appealing in all ways except my dds ( sometimes think life is more than dds?)
presently live in chicago,so thinking of going to uic and trying for any job over there and continue with plan A.Am presently looking out for jobs as DA also

Excuse my interjecting here with no experience with babies whatsoever .. but shouldn't you be discussing these kinds of matters and making these sort of life altering decisions with your husband, and not total strangers on the internet ?
No one here can really tell you what you should do with your future (a, b or c). We're really good at MCQ tests, but not with these kind of questions.

NileBDS,
Congrats for getting into ur school of choice( from what I have been following think u have got into pacific???) Do agree with u that life altering decisions shd be taken with ur better half(how do u think I came to the decision of trying for MPH or to have another child ???)
I felt that since in SDN we'r all ftd's trying to get into the school of r choices while combating the challenges that life throws @ us,I would get some valuable opinion and support from people who have been/are in my position,I did get an pm from a person who was in exactly the same position as me & has now got accepted to a school,it gave me a lot of hope when I read the pm.
Before passing any judgment or writing any comments pls put ur self in that person's shoe's and pls don't forget to give some credit to the person whoever is posting the quarry coz 99% r genuine and sane.
Sorry for the long story,best of luck for ur school.
:love:

NileBDS,
Congrats for getting into ur school of choice( from what I have been following think u have got into pacific???) Do agree with u that life altering decisions shd be taken with ur better half(how do u think I came to the decision of trying for MPH or to have another child ???)
I felt that since in SDN we'r all ftd's trying to get into the school of r choices while combating the challenges that life throws @ us,I would get some valuable opinion and support from people who have been/are in my position,I did get an pm from a person who was in exactly the same position as me & has now got accepted to a school,it gave me a lot of hope when I read the pm.
Before passing any judgment or writing any comments pls put ur self in that person's shoe's and pls don't forget to give some credit to the person whoever is posting the quarry coz 99% r genuine and sane.
Sorry for the long story,best of luck for ur school.
:love:
Hi Suna,

I do agree with you. What all I can say to you is that don't lose hopes, keep on trying yr best. Do with full dedication ,whatever you feel is right.

Your dreams will come true. If you don't do anything also then also you will turn 35 & yr hubby 40:rolleyes:........... So better to work constantly towards yr dream.

GOOD LUCK :thumbup:

I would say go with your gut feeling. How much do you really want to practice dentistry in United States?. Once you decide if you really want to do Dentistry and nothing else then start preparing for NBDE seriously. IMHO,Half hearted tries wont take you anywhere and you will be unhappy with your decision. If you have decided on dentistry then start your NBDE prep immediately. Give your exam by June-July max and apply for 2009 cycle itself. Why do you want to target for 2010? Reading the same thing again and again will get boring and you will loose interest, this is if you are targeting for 2010. Set a target for 2009. I know it is agressive but doable. Apply early and to all schools. Get some dental experience in US. I am sure you will be able to get a seat. Try wholeheartedly.

Good luck and Best wishes

Don't know whether to

I would say go with your gut feeling. How much do you really want to practice dentistry in United States?. Once you decide if you really want to do Dentistry and nothing else then start preparing for NBDE seriously. IMHO,Half hearted tries wont take you anywhere and you will be unhappy with your decision. If you have decided on dentistry then start your NBDE prep immediately. Give your exam by June-July max and apply for 2009 cycle itself. Why do you want to target for 2010? Reading the same thing again and again will get boring and you will loose interest, this is if you are targeting for 2010. Set a target for 2009. I know it is agressive but doable. Apply early and to all schools. Get some dental experience in US. I am sure you will be able to get a seat. Try wholeheartedly.

Good luck and Best wishes
Hi dds_aspirant,

I am writing this post to apressiate you, as I have always seen you encouraging ppl. Good job. keep it up. May yr dreams come true.

Hi suna, I would imagine that it is not easy to be in ur situation. IMHO I would suggest that u retake part-1. It is not easy and could be frustrating too but in the long run it will pay off. Try to evaluate what went wrong and did you consider kaplan's courses. Gl in what ever u do but follow ur heart and what is right for ur family.

hi suna..

i am a girl tht do from india..i can really understand u r situation..life puts us in starnge situation sometimes..we are kind of struck in middle of some things..one side is our family..responsibilities..child..family expectations..n all those personal things..on other hand are our dreams ..career..dentistry..job..salary

well at u r point of time..what i will say is that u got one life..only this life..its upto u hw u want to spent it..this is one day..it will never come again..

just get out of u r home..go to a place u love..somenearby park or coffee or anythn..take a pen n note book along..n jot down all wht u feel..u r expectations from life...write where u want to say u r self in next 20 years..hw will u like u r self to b when u will b 60 yrs.. u have time now..u can chase u r dreams now..but at that time..there will not b anytime..rather than being unhappy in the sunset years of u r life..better work hard..
do something for which at those sunset years,,u feel that yeah..i had a good life..no resentments but happy n contenet with life..rather than the remorse..oh my gawd..life is over..oh i wanted to do this but never did..oh oh oh..

do agreed dds is the life for so may people..but its also true the dds in not the life..life has much more to offer than this dds..think o all the people who are nt dentists..aren't they happy..??

well..sit n prioritise..go with u r dreams..if u want to go the dds way..dnt gv it a second thought..pik up the books n sit..plan well, brush up u r clinical skills(as u said a part time job) plan u r finances..and get going..but tell u r self tht its now or never..u can't gv u r life just for a dds....get all the "josh" as we say in india" and start..

if u r list says that u r goals are more than dentistry..u wana do smthn else..get settled soon on a good job or smthn..get set on gre..after tht go with mph or mha..they are not bad either..but u can acieve grt heights in any of these fields too.

all the best,,,hope this helps..n ya do tell me wht u decide..:):luck::hardy: