Confused on chances of matching...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imfancyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the application cycle, and although it's my first time writing (I think), I've been with the forum for awhile.

So I am in a bit unique situation. My stats are relatively good. I guess I ampretty average applicant into ophtho...

I guess I am still doubtful that top 10 programs would even consider my application. I am not from well-know medical school, even my undergrad is from no where any one has ever heard, publication are all from relatively unknown journal, the attendings who told me good things have been out of application process for a while, etc etc... Can anyone shed some light for me? I just don't want to waste time for researching about the program or money by applying to programs that are not even going to give me a chance. If reality is harsh, please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Whats lacking in your application that makes you feel top programs wont give you a second look? You have good scores, research and are going to get great letters. Provided these programs sponsor such visas, I would definitely apply away. The fact that you are having well known people in the field write letters for you will help get your foot in the door to many great programs. Now it's hard to say how many interviews you or anyone else will get just by comparing stats... In fact I, like many others, was shut down by far more middle tier programs than top programs. Just apply broadly... its worth the investment.

Whats lacking in your application that makes you feel top programs wont give you a second look? You have good scores, research and are going to get great letters. Provided these programs sponsor such visas, I would definitely apply away. The fact that you are having well known people in the field write letters for you will help get your foot in the door to many great programs. Now it's hard to say how many interviews you or anyone else will get just by comparing stats... In fact I, like many others, was shut down by far more middle tier programs than top programs. Just apply broadly... its worth the investment.

Thank you! I will take that advice to the heart.

What visas? Permanent residents do not need visas. it is not a disadvantage and the program doesn't have to support you with a visa or get less money for training you...