Confused on taking less than 12 credit hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JKiran

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a junior who is planning to apply this upcoming cycle. I will be balancing scribing part time (25-35 hours per week) along with studying for my MCAT and taking coursework. I am confused if taking less than full time (12 hrs) would be viewed negatively. All of my past semesters, I have worked 14-16 credits per semester.

I am wondering if taking less than 12 credits would harm me. Also would I need to take at least 1 science course during this upcoming semester as well?

Members don't see this ad.

35 hours is a full time job but it is alot.

I dont think taking less than 12 credits would harm you though. I've also taken a handful of semesters with no science classes and I dont think thats harmed me. If you have other semesters that show you can handle a rigorous science load one semester of 12 credits/part time semester is fine.

I've had people tell me otherwise which is why I am confused

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how few credits and what else you're doing. 11 is NBD, but 7 might look bad. 11 with a ton of EC stuff is different than 11 without.

I've had people tell me otherwise which is why I am confused

Ultimately whatever minimal harm you get, if there is any in your case, from taking <12 credits will be outweighed if you do well on your MCAT and courses. Another way to look at it is that taking 12+ credits and getting Bs in them and not reaching your MCAT potential will probably be worse than taking 10 and getting As and reaching your MCAT potential.

Have you already completed all of your prerequisites? If not, then I'd make sure that at least one class is a prerequisite. You don't want to apply this summer with a bunch left. One or two left to take after applying is ok, but more might be a red flag.

The way your coursework shows up on the application is typically by academic year: freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. If you did not take the typical 28-32 credits/yr (for example, you were part-time for several years) or if you had a 5th year, then it is a little different but for the most part it is by year, not by semester or quarter.

Provided the other semester that year is a typical load, you aren't likely to raise any eyebrows with a single term that is "light" in terms of academic load.

Reactions: 1 users
i only took 3 credits my last semester and i wasn’t even asked about it

I took two classes one semester and still received multiple acceptances.

Have you already completed all of your prerequisites? If not, then I'd make sure that at least one class is a prerequisite. You don't want to apply this summer with a bunch left. One or two left to take after applying is ok, but more might be a red flag.
I have never heard this point before? Is this true?
My plan is to take 1 science class and 1 class for my major which is 6 credits. Yes, I am participating in ECs and have a leadership position as well.

I have never heard this point before? Is this true?
My plan is to take 1 science class and 1 class for my major which is 6 credits. Yes, I am participating in ECs and have a leadership position as well.
I can see it being a red flag if you haven't demonstrated your capability to survive rigorous science coursework before and have just been taking random easy classes with one pre-req at a time. However, most would argue to stay away from the MCAT until you have completed all the pre-reqs beforehand anyway.

Taking something like genetics with a pre-req and whatnot would be totally fine. 8+ science credit semesters are good -- if you've already had these semesters I'd think you're set. Don't lose any financial aid or anything though. Make sure you know what you are doing before falling below full-time, but working 25-35 hours while in school can be tough!

As you have explained, this semester is an exception for you, not the norm. As a result, it will not cause any concerns. Even if you are asked about it, you could explain that you were loading up on ECs and studying for the MCAT.

I took six credits second semester senior year to study for the mcat and do research. I had multiple acceptances and not one person asked why I only took six!

I have taken pre reqs like Ochem, Bio, physics, and biochem, so I hope taking a light semester will be ok. Thank you for the responses!

Reactions: 1 user