Confused on What to Do (DO vs MD vs PA vs Post Bac)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSU_Mitchell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from Penn State as a Biology major in the spring with a GPA of 3.3 and sGPA of 3.13. The one science classes I retook was Math 140 (D+, retook and got a B+). I've heard varying things on how schools look at retaking classes, but obviously one 4 credit class won't drastically change my GPA. My grades were trending up with me getting above 3.7 my junior and senior year. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do next so I've taken the year off to get more volunteer work as well as get my EMT Certification and I took two more classes at Penn State to keep me up on things.

So right now my resume would include:
GPA 3.3
sGPA 3.13
1 year volunteer experience at a hospice
6 months experience as a homecare giver
4 years experience as a front office assistant in a medical office
EMT-B certification (just received a week ago)
I plan on working as an EMT, my front office job and volunteering more the next few months.

I plan on taking the MCATS in April (have already been studying for 3 months), but I'm not exactly sure what my best route to go is. In terms of personal happiness, I really don't care if I'm a DO, MD, or PA. I don't think my GPA is competitive enough for PA school and feel like my patient care experience is too limited to pursue that. I think I might be okay with DO schools if I score well enough on the MCAT, but I didn't know if applying to a post-bac or masters program at a school like LECOM would be beneficial as a "backup plan".

I just didn't know if by applying to a post-bac, I would decrease my chances of getting into a DO school. For example, if I get into LECOM's post bac, why would they then offer me acceptance into their DO school? Also, I've heard varying things about how beneficial post-bacs would be for someone in my position.

Thank you very much for any input, just confused now and would like some help.

Edit: Also, if I end up not getting into anything this cycle I would consider paramedic school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated from Penn State as a Biology major in the spring with a GPA of 3.3 and sGPA of 3.13. The one science classes I retook was Math 140 (D+, retook and got a B+). I've heard varying things on how schools look at retaking classes, but obviously one 4 credit class won't drastically change my GPA. My grades were trending up with me getting above 3.7 my junior and senior year. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do next so I've taken the year off to get more volunteer work as well as get my EMT Certification and I took two more classes at Penn State to keep me up on things.

GPA 3.3
sGPA 3.13
I plan on working as an EMT, my front office job and volunteering more the next few months.

I plan on taking the MCATS in April (have already been studying for 3 months), but I'm not exactly sure what my best route to go is. In terms of personal happiness, I really don't care if I'm a DO, MD, or PA. I don't think my GPA is competitive enough for PA school and feel like my patient care experience is too limited to pursue that. I think I might be okay with DO schools if I score well enough on the MCAT, but I didn't know if applying to a post-bac or masters program at a school like LECOM would be beneficial as a "backup plan".

I just didn't know if by applying to a post-bac, I would decrease my chances of getting into a DO school. For example, if I get into LECOM's post bac, why would they then offer me acceptance into their DO school? Also, I've heard varying things about how beneficial post-bacs would be for someone in my position.

Edit: Also, if I end up not getting into anything this cycle I would consider paramedic school.
MCATS? Are those like the cat equivalent of the X-Men?
wolverine_cat_by_the_frizz-d4884mf.jpg

I agree that your completely not competitive for PA school given your background and GPA. I would do my best to get into a post bac that is linked to a medical school. LECOM and Touro-NY would be good on the DO side, I don't know what others would recommend on the MD end of things. With hard work and dedication, in three years time you'll have upgraded to getting snark about your questions regarding the COMPLEX exam, which is obviously a test in which you play Goldeneye on the N64 against your prospective Dean on said map with golden guns and the Dean playing as Oddjob to determine whether you are worthy for medical licensure.

Reactions: 1 user
... questions regarding the COMPLEX exam, which is obviously a test in which you play Goldeneye on the N64 against your prospective Dean on said map with golden guns and the Dean playing as Oddjob to determine whether you are worthy for medical licensure.
COMLEX. Where do people keep getting the extra letter? No extra letter!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

GPA 3.3
sGPA 3.13

DO is you best shot now... 25-26 MCAT should get you into a low tier DO school, but 27+ might open more door.