Confused Post Grad... MD/PA track! What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD4294

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I graduated from the University of Georgia last year with a degree in Psychology and Biology. I have a 3.6 cum GPA and 3.43 sGPA. I decided to take a year off to study for MCAT and work a clinical job, part time. It's been exactly 1 year post grad, and I have gotten nothing done, besides working 6 months as an OR Assistant, getting in all of my recommendation letters, and completing my personal statement. I haven't been able to study well enough, instead I kept pushing my date forward. My parents think less of me, i think. I recently just got another job as a Scribe that starts in two months. At this point I believe I have a few options, and I would love some support :)

Option 1: Study until September, take my MCAT in September. Apply in August to ONLY DO schools, and if I score bad then retake the exam in January as an update. Again, only osteopathic.

Option 2: Just work my two part time jobs, and apply next cycle to MD and Do schools.

Option 3: Realize that if I was not able to study well in a time of a year, maybe medical school is not for me. I should go ahead and apply to PA schools next cycle.

(Personally, I really want to go to medical school but I am just so damn lazy and love traveling and having fun, blame my age for that)

Members don't see this ad.

Neither. Disregard medicine, acquire dentistry. Medicine is not for the lazy. Dentistry caters to a 4 day workweek while still banking six figures.

Hi, so I graduated from the University of Georgia last year with a degree in Psychology and Biology. I have a 3.6 cum GPA and 3.43 sGPA. I decided to take a year off to study for MCAT and work a clinical job, part time. It's been exactly 1 year post grad, and I have gotten nothing done, besides working 6 months as an OR Assistant, getting in all of my recommendation letters, and completing my personal statement. I haven't been able to study well enough, instead I kept pushing my date forward. My parents think less of me, i think. I recently just got another job as a Scribe that starts in two months. At this point I believe I have a few options, and I would love some support :)

Option 1: Study until September, take my MCAT in September. Apply in August to ONLY DO schools, and if I score bad then retake the exam in January as an update. Again, only osteopathic.

Option 2: Just work my two part time jobs, and apply next cycle to MD and Do schools.

Option 3: Realize that if I was not able to study well in a time of a year, maybe medical school is not for me. I should go ahead and apply to PA schools next cycle.

(Personally, I really want to go to medical school but I am just so damn lazy and love traveling and having fun, blame my age for that)

Reactions: 1 user
Sacrifice or not. Up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you mean?

Sit down and study to become a doctor. Traveling is fun but medicine is a high paying great career choice. Make the sacrifices now to pay off in the end. Your choice.

Reactions: 2 users
How do you feel about taking some gap years?

It's better to take the time to properly prepare for the MCAT instead of cramming for a month or two. I would definitely wait until January to take the MCAT, and then apply next cycle. Make sure to shadow a DO and get a letter of rec from them, and you're good for most DO schools (big bonus if you volunteer or work in an underserved community). I can't really speak about MD that much though.

I was in a similar situation where I was considering PA school. I took the MCAT for the first time and got a 496, it devastated me. I didn't think I had what it took. I started looking into alternatives to medicine and was feeling a relief that I wouldn't have to study for the MCAT again or worry about medical school. But then I realized how unhappy I would be being a PA, knowing I could have made it to be a real doctor. I gave myself enough time the second time around and got a 508 when I retook the MCAT.

You just gotta do some soul searching and figure out exactly what you want to do. If you think you would be super happy as PA, then go for it. If you think you want to be a doctor and nothing else will make you happy, then do it. Find what path is right for you and crush it!

Sit down and study to become a doctor. Traveling is fun but medicine is a high paying great career choice. Make the sacrifices now to pay off in the end. Your choice.
I agree 100%. Thanks

It's better to take the time to properly prepare for the MCAT instead of cramming for a month or two. I would definitely wait until January to take the MCAT, and then apply next cycle. Make sure to shadow a DO and get a letter of rec from them, and you're good for most DO schools (big bonus if you volunteer or work in an underserved community). I can't really speak about MD that much though.

I was in a similar situation where I was considering PA school. I took the MCAT for the first time and got a 496, it devastated me. I didn't think I had what it took. I started looking into alternatives to medicine and was feeling a relief that I wouldn't have to study for the MCAT again or worry about medical school. But then I realized how unhappy I would be being a PA, knowing I could have made it to be a real doctor. I gave myself enough time the second time around and got a 508 when I retook the MCAT.

You just gotta do some soul searching and figure out exactly what you want to do. If you think you would be super happy as PA, then go for it. If you think you want to be a doctor and nothing else will make you happy, then do it. Find what path is right for you and crush it!
Honestly, this was a HUGE help! Thank you

How much time did you take to study for the MCAT? My GPA stats are low, at 3.6 and 3.43 so I wanted to kill the MCAT and get above a 510! I know it's easier said than done though

How much time did you take to study for the MCAT? My GPA stats are low, at 3.6 and 3.43 so I wanted to kill the MCAT and get above a 510! I know it's easier said than done though
I studied for 7 months. A lot of people will tell you that's too long of a study time, but it's all about how you study. I had to maintain my full time job so I had to study for a longer period of time. It worked for me because I felt like I was able to cover all the material I needed to. I studied content review for ~6 months, then practice tests and question packs for the last month. The only thing I wish I did differently was have more time to do practice tests and study packs, maybe an additional month.

And your stats aren't really low for DO...your 3.6 is awesome and your 3.43 is average. You can definitely get into many DO schools with those stats as long as you do well on the MCAT and have the right experiences

Reactions: 1 users
I studied for 7 months. A lot of people will tell you that's too long of a study time, but it's all about how you study. I had to maintain my full time job so I had to study for a longer period of time. It worked for me because I felt like I was able to cover all the material I needed to. I studied content review for ~6 months, then practice tests and question packs for the last month. The only thing I wish I did differently was have more time to do practice tests and study packs, maybe an additional month.

And your stats aren't really low for DO...your 3.6 is awesome and your 3.43 is average. You can definitely get into many DO schools with those stats as long as you do well on the MCAT and have the right experiences

Hm ok gotcha gotcha. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hm ok gotcha gotcha. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really haven't done much studying at all at this point, the Sept. 9th MCAT is probably gonna be a little too soon. Honestly I think the biggest advantage to having a lot of time to study (at least for me) is that I never got overwhelmed thinking "oh man there's so much more material left" or whatever, because I knew I could have the time to review what I felt I needed to. There's a surprising amount of material covered on this thing, so option 1, assuming you really haven't studied much at all, is kind of out IMO. You could however take an AAMC scored FL and see how you do. I would recommend this because I know personally speaking that I was so intimidated by the MCAT until I took my first official practice test and did better than I thought I could.

In terms of choosing other health routes, obviously that's totally up to you and whatever you decide you will be in a position to help people and be in one of the more challenging fields. I feel like a lot of pre meds forget that it's really impressive and difficult to be a PA or a CRNP or a dentist, too. And I'm sure you've seen from your time working in the OR that PAs and CRNPs do a lot of the stuff physicians do.

The reason I chose pursuing becoming a physician is I knew that if I had ended up doing PA (or for that matter, any other work in any other field) I always would have wondered what if I had pursued becoming a physician? I just feel very strongly that this feeling would never have gone away, and only been intensified working in a setting with physicians.

This is your whole career! What you'll be doing for the next 50 some years. Don't sell yourself short. But at the same time, being a PA is great and it can let you live the lifestyle you seem more about, at least at this point in your life. Either way good luck!

If you really haven't done much studying at all at this point, the Sept. 9th MCAT is probably gonna be a little too soon. Honestly I think the biggest advantage to having a lot of time to study (at least for me) is that I never got overwhelmed thinking "oh man there's so much more material left" or whatever, because I knew I could have the time to review what I felt I needed to. There's a surprising amount of material covered on this thing, so option 1, assuming you really haven't studied much at all, is kind of out IMO. You could however take an AAMC scored FL and see how you do. I would recommend this because I know personally speaking that I was so intimidated by the MCAT until I took my first official practice test and did better than I thought I could.

In terms of choosing other health routes, obviously that's totally up to you and whatever you decide you will be in a position to help people and be in one of the more challenging fields. I feel like a lot of pre meds forget that it's really impressive and difficult to be a PA or a CRNP or a dentist, too. And I'm sure you've seen from your time working in the OR that PAs and CRNPs do a lot of the stuff physicians do.

The reason I chose pursuing becoming a physician is I knew that if I had ended up doing PA (or for that matter, any other work in any other field) I always would have wondered what if I had pursued becoming a physician? I just feel very strongly that this feeling would never have gone away, and only been intensified working in a setting with physicians.

This is your whole career! What you'll be doing for the next 50 some years. Don't sell yourself short. But at the same time, being a PA is great and it can let you live the lifestyle you seem more about, at least at this point in your life. Either way good luck!

You have no idea how helpful what you said was . So I did some soul searching last night and it was a fail, but I will say that I have come up with a plan :) I would appreciate it if you could critique my judgement. Soo 1.) I will study for the MCAT and plan to take September 9th. If I am not scoring well by then, then I will void the exam. 2. ) I will continue to study for the MCAT until January and take my MCAT then. Of course this will be my last and final time taking it. With this score I will update my stats for this cycle, if I already applied at that point. 3.) I will use my new MCAT score from January to apply early next cycle, and take a 2-3 classes in spring 2017 as a GPA boost. 4.) I will also apply to PA school along with MD/DO since I have all the prerequisites and ok amount of PC hours by then.

I think the only way I will know if I want to truly do Med school, is if I got accepted to both at this point. What do you think?? Should I even bother sending in my application without an MCAT Score this cycle?

Would appreciate the help.

Thanks

Last edited:
I think the MCAT plan is reasonable if you get on it today and are able to consistently do 5+ hours a day until sept 9th.

I actually applied to grad school in a different field and got into some top schools. When I wasn't jazzed about it, that helped me realize I needed to do medicine. With that said, there are certainly other ways to know if you want to do med school or not other than applying to PA schools too. If you have the cash you could do both I suppose.

Also, I would edit your last post to remove your name. Anonymity on this site is important!

Last edited:

I'll see your piglet in boots and raise you a DOgtor

I think the MCAT plan is reasonable if you get on it today and are able to consistently do 5+ hours a day until sept 9th.

I actually applied to grad school in a different field and got into some top schools. When I wasn't jazzed about it, that helped me realize I needed to do medicine. With that said, there are certainly other ways to know if you want to do med school or not other than applying to PA schools too. If you have the cash you could do both I suppose.

Also, I would edit your last post to remove your name. Anonymity on this site is important!
Hey I deleted it, but you may have to delete your reply because I can't seem to figure out how to remove my name from the reply "quote" bubble. Thanks

At 25 years old, do you think I would fit in with the young crowd at medical school or the old one? thanks

At 25 years old, do you think I would fit in with the young crowd at medical school or the old one? thanks
Probably the young. I'm pretty sure the average age of most med students is 24-26. You would fit right in.