confused pre-health advisee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gregmann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came to college as a deferred student and did not decide to go pre med until the beginning of this year. I am a sophomore psychology major. I am confused because I am trying to figure out if it is possible for me to apply to medical school next year and matriculate by fall of 2013. I am taking Cell Bio this semester. signed up to take animal bio next semester. Then I would take my year of chemistry over the summer, then take organic the following school year, 2011-2012. Finally I would finish my requirements over the summer of 2012. My advisor communicated to me today that I need to have all my requirements completed before I apply to school, is this true? He also said that it will look bad to medical schools if on my transcript I have spaced out my requirements and only taken one each semester or summer session. When would I take my MCAT? Based on my situation, would it be in my best interest to apply and matriculate in fall 2014? I came into my advisors office with all of these questions but he was extremely brief and by the end of our meeting I just felt more confused. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you would need all your requirements done before you apply, but if you have nearly none, you will probably not get in. You don't even have the MCAT, so there's definitely no chance to get in now. You also have to have extensive volunteering and other kinds of extracurriculars showing that you have a strong intention on medicine instead of it being just a spur of the moment thing. Oh, and I also think you need your classes done the spring before matriculation for many schools, so that organic chemistry would be too late

Don't try to jump the gun. Be patient and do things right.

What about Physics?

It's true that few med schools require that you complete the prerequisites before you apply, so long as they're done by the time you matriculate, but to do well on the MCAT, you should have completed the prerequisites (with the exception, perhaps, of OChem II) before you take the test.

About 1.5 years of clinical experience is average, so maybe get that going ASAP.

I'm sorry if my post was confusing. I would complete my year of physics over the summer before the start of my fall semester in 2012. I wouldn't be able to take my mcat then until fall 2012 if what your saying is true. it seems as though it would be impossible to matriculate 2013. I already have some medically related volunter experience. Thank you for your advice.