Confused Pre-Health Track - advice/suggestions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shimgim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I read many of the comments and threads several people post on this forum and I think the advice that is given is great! I thought i'd take a stab at it.

I just recently graduated from UMD (2014), and got into the ScribeAmerica scribe program at a local hospital. Sounds great, except I am not sure if I want to be on the pre-medicine track. I thought being scribe could confirm whether I wanted it or not.

I also am lingering towards Dental Hygiene. Being a scribe could possibly help pay to be become a RDH, and if med school is something I want, maybe it can happen in the future.

Does this sound reasonable? Is signing up to scribe a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds reasonable to me. Scribing will provide you excellent exposure to the medical field and give you an idea of whether or not that's something you want to be involved in. The best you can do is get exposure to anything you think you might be interested in. There are tons of career possibilities in medicine/healthcare that people don't even know exists (clinical lab science, dosimetrist, respiratory therapist, cardiac perfusionist, etc) so really look around and dig and expose yourself to different ones so you can make an informed decision.

PS welcome to our forum.