Confused Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meg_1981

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-

I read some of the messages put up by students and replies from many experienced PA's as well as students going to PA school. My question might sound a little repititive but I'm looking to goto PA school and I understand that it may be hard but can you please tell me a little about the experiences of a PA out of school, what are the different fields that a PA may look into? Thank You.

Meg

Members don't see this ad.

meg- pa's can and do work in all fields of medicine in hospitals, clinics, emergency depts, operating rooms, solo rural clinics, prisons, all branches of the military, the state dept, cia, peace corps, etc. check out www.aapa.org for general info on the pa profession or post specific questions here. good luck-e

Hi-

Thx for the reply, I did look through that website and it was helpful. My other question is how much experience does one need to apply to PA school, from all the discussions that I have read, it sounds like maybe 2-3 yrs of work in the medical field maybe a requirement. I completed my undergrad in the business field and am working on my pre requisites to attend PA school, I am curious as to how much and what kind of experience maybe required? Thx, Meg

meg- it varies by program, but the typical applicant is an emt, nurse, or resp. therapist. some programs count medical assistant, cna, or volunteer time too-e