Confused third year med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlyfe19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN members!

I am hoping you can help me out. I feel very confused about what residency to do. I was sure for a while on doing IM residency then doing Cardio (Noninvasive) fellowship, but then people started telling me that the job outlook for that is starting to look dismal, I wanted to see if anyone has heard anything different?

6 years is a very large time commitment, especially because my spouse lives in a state that is not DO friendly, therefore we would probably have to continue to live away, so I want to make sure that I am making an informed decision. And unfortunately, right now I really dont feel super set on any field.

I really wanted to find a field that I liked and was shorter, I do like ENT but I dont think I would be competitive for that my comlex level 1 score is 571 and I did not take USMLE.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Ask on the IM forum for more information about job outlook for cardiology. Just curiously, who told you that? I don't really know much about cardiology jobs, but isn't it pretty location-dependent? In any case, just post on the IM forum for this type of stuff...

I heard the market for international Cards isn't as hot as it used to be, but they aren't doing that bad. No one is talking less than 350-400k.

Members don't see this ad :)
It funny that one half of the IM residents want Cardio and the other half want GI when they start their intern. Just like one half the M1s want derm and the other half want ortho during the med school orientation week.

You need to find what you like to, and also what you are good at.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hi SDN members!

I am hoping you can help me out. I feel very confused about what residency to do. I was sure for a while on doing IM residency then doing Cardio (Noninvasive) fellowship, but then people started telling me that the job outlook for that is starting to look dismal, I wanted to see if anyone has heard anything different?

6 years is a very large time commitment, especially because my spouse lives in a state that is not DO friendly, therefore we would probably have to continue to live away, so I want to make sure that I am making an informed decision. And unfortunately, right now I really dont feel super set on any field.

I really wanted to find a field that I liked and was shorter, I do like ENT but I dont think I would be competitive for that my comlex level 1 score is 571 and I did not take USMLE.

Thanks in advance for your help!
just did my cardiology rotation with a non-interventional cardiologist. He is employed by the hospital, makes >400k per year, and he only works 3 weeks per month, takes 6 weeks off in addition as vacations. n=1 but this guy is literally the most party-animal doctor I've ever met...and he's loving it.