Confused with GPA calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Donna Moss

donnatella moss
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am looking to apply to mostly DO schools and in state MDs. I am graduating soon with a 3.2 cGPA, and 2.8 sGPA. I know that many schools have screens at 3.0. I was planning on taking 4-5 (16-20 credits) summer courses (mixture of retakes and upper levels) in order to bump my sGPA above a 3.0. But I just realized that AMCAS/AACOMAS will separate out my undergrad science gpa and postbacc science gpa. I will also be doing a masters program before I start, so I won't be applying this upcoming cycle. I realize my masters gpa will be separated out as well. What I am wondering is if I will be screened out even if I take post bacc classes at MOST DO schools?

To my understanding, osteopathic schools look at a combination undergraduate and post-bacc courses. The cGPA and sGPA used as "cut-offs" are a combination of your undergrad and graduate work (includes both post-bac and masters). Also, retaking courses would probably not be a great idea, as AACOMAS no longer uses the grade replacement policy.

To my understanding, osteopathic schools look at a combination undergraduate and post-bacc courses. The cGPA and sGPA used as "cut-offs" are a combination of your undergrad and graduate work (includes both post-bac and masters). Also, retaking courses would probably not be a great idea, as AACOMAS no longer uses the grade replacement policy.

I'm not sure how retakes will look. On the one hand, they probably want to see upper-level science courses. On the other hand, I would venture pre-req grades below B- would raise red flags. Going back and getting A's in a pre-req that you currently have a C in might be more useful than taking a random upper level.