Confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingstonhopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am currently quite confused about my future, focused for several years on medical but seeing no light at the end of the tunnel.
I am a Canadian from Kingston Ontario. My GPA is strong at 3.85 sci and 3.9 overall. However my MCAT is unfortunately low even after 3 attempts, 27 overall with a 6 in verbal and S in writing. My ECs are above average with 5-6 research experiences, lots of leadership experiences, varsity team member at university, lots of doctor shadowing and int'l volunteer experience.

My end goal is to practice in Canada and if not then possibly settle in the USA. What route of medicine (Canadian is very competitive) either USA or abroad would ppl recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I think your chances are slim at US MD schools as an international student. People have gotten in with low MCAT scores, but admission to US med school is ultracompetitive as an international student. There are Canadians who post here with an MCAT score 10+ points better than yours, similar GPAs, and similar ECs who have had trouble gaining admission to US med schools. I think you might be a competitive applicant at DO schools, however.

Have you been able to pinpoint exactly why you have done so poorly on the MCAT, particularly the verbal? How much time did you spend studying each time?

you have no chance with a 6 at US.
I suggest Carribeans.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
double post. why are u having problems with your mcat? did u try taking a course?

Reactions: 1 user
How competitive do you feel I would be for a DO school? Is it worth it for me to decline an offer for Usydney med or Sgu for it?

I've seen applicants get into DO schools with a verbal of 6. Since you are an international applicant, you may be held to a higher standard, so I can't give you reassurance that you're guaranteed to get an acceptance (though you might ask or do a Search in the PreMed Osteopathic Forum for a more authoritative answer). If you got a USydney spot, I'd go for it.

Last edited:
Really, SGU and Australia is better for residency and coming back to Canada. Can anyone elaborate on why?