bigbangg

7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2010
Status
i have 3.2 GPA and this is my senior year
I thought about doing the double majoring
so i can have a chance to retake the courses again

then I read something like

they don't look into retakes ? is that true?

then should i just do the post bac?

plz help

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
Your post is confusing....

AMCAS averages retakes -- that is, the 2nd course is simply averaged in:
Bio 1 1st time -- 4 units -- C
Bio 1 2nd time -- 4 units -- A

Average: 8 units -- B <--yes, they both count separately, so it's 8 units total!

When/where/how you take each course is irrelevant. All college/post-HS courses [taken at or associated w/ a US institution] count.

Richardh

10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2008
Status
I think you know this but I think you can only retake classes where you didn't pass. But either case, it's better to do a post-bac to show improvements :) But this is only when you have time and money and also if you don't consider applying med school after graduating from your institution.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I think you know this but I think you can only retake classes where you didn't pass. But either case, it's better to do a post-bac to show improvements :) But this is only when you have time and money and also if you don't consider applying med school after graduating from your institution.
Nope, depends on your institution. AMCAS will average retakes regardless. That said, what happens if you somehow retake a B and get an A? What if you retook the class twice and got two A's? Would they average it to 12 units (corresponding to your example, apumic) of A's? That can't be right, but then does that mean there's never a way to get above a B without getting an A the first time around?

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
Nope, depends on your institution. AMCAS will average retakes regardless. That said, what happens if you somehow retake a B and get an A? What if you retook the class twice and got two A's? Would they average it to 12 units (corresponding to your example, apumic) of A's? That can't be right, but then does that mean there's never a way to get above a B without getting an A the first time around?
You're not "getting" anything better. You're just adding more courses to your transcript. People who say "AMCAS averages" aren't really correct. The fact is that it does NOT "average." Your original grade simply remains. When you retake, you are adding another entry. As a result, some people say that it "averages." In fact, you really just took another class. Take that to it's logical conclusion to understand my example.