Confusion about financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotterdammerung

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was going through posts today and read something that confused me. Someone heard a suggestiont that they send in their FAFSA to all of the medical schools they are applying to? I have three interviews next week and for whatever reason never heard of this. I just got married and cut off by my tough-loving parents. I guess I was thinking that financial aid information was something you sent after you got accepted or something. I fell really dumb right now because normally I have been on top of the ball with everything thus far. I am worried I might be missing out on a lot of help with money. This marks my entrance into the studen doctor fray. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah I have been ghosting the forums for awhile now. I definitely want to contribute what my interview experiences are like! I have quite a few upcoming. Which is why I am worried I missed the boat on something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow, I almost forgot about FAFSA as well. I hope everything works out for u but it shouldn't be too late to submit it right??? And I thought one submits a FAFSA for the upcoming school year by April or May????

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Oh wow, I almost forgot about FAFSA as well. I hope everything works out for u but it shouldn't be too late to submit it right??? And I thought one submits a FAFSA for the upcoming school year by April or May????

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

you cant even fill out fafsa for 2013-2014 yet, Feb or March are usually the times when i submit my fafsa (after filing taxes) and i am always early when it comes to getting govt assistance.

I think you should be fine if you submit Fafsa by February. With those grades, you're likely to have an acceptance by October so you can just fill out Fafsas for the schools you're accepted to.

So I was going through posts today and read something that confused me. Someone heard a suggestiont that they send in their FAFSA to all of the medical schools they are applying to? I have three interviews next week and for whatever reason never heard of this. I just got married and cut off by my tough-loving parents. I guess I was thinking that financial aid information was something you sent after you got accepted or something. I fell really dumb right now because normally I have been on top of the ball with everything thus far. I am worried I might be missing out on a lot of help with money. This marks my entrance into the studen doctor fray. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

41R MCAT 3.97 GPA

lol what was the point of putting that :laugh:

I always saw people post their stats and thought that I was supposed to or something. I really wasn't trying to be pompous or anything. I am as nervous as anybody...

I always saw people post their stats and thought that I was supposed to or something. I really wasn't trying to be pompous or anything. I am as nervous as anybody...

Just wondering how did you go about getting a score so high?

I took the Altius Test Prep Course in Utah. Took the MCAT once and got a good score, but had the flu that day and was not really satisfied with it. Then I became a tutor for Altius and worked for them for a year. Then I took it again (I did not apply the previous cycle due to a significant other) and got the score I wanted without any prep outside of a bajillion one-on-one lessons with my students. The key is not just knowing all the facts in the world but knowing the way the exam works so well that when you sit down to take an exam every passage and question type looks familiar.

BTW I removed the score...haha. I am sure a lot of the people on this board are great applicants and probably better than me.

Just to be clear, but as others have mentioned, you won't submit your FAFSA until January 1 at the earliest. In reality you will wait until after you file taxes. Being "cut off" from your parents is irrelevant; though you are considered independent for the purposes of federal aid (e.g., Stafford loans), schools will expect to have parent information if you want to qualify for institutional aid.

Thank you for the info. That sucks because my dad is a physician. Haha. Growing up i got the equivalent on holiddays and birthdays as my friend whos parents were both janitors. Oh well, I have to admit it his methods have given me a killer work ethic...but that probably means no financial help for me from him or the schools! Dangit.