Confusion about Letters of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you need 2 science and 1 non-science.. I've heard that your pre-med advisor can write the non-science one.. is that true? But how can they really know enough about you?

For the other 2, what if I get my research PI to write one?.. he's a professor at the medical school.. but not my professor.. can that count as 1 of them?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to get a non-science letter from a non-science prof. Schools are flexible but it will make your application more well-rounded to have it.

A research PI more often than not will be acceptable as a science letter...just verify with the school first.

To be safe if you don't have a committee, get:

2 Sci profs who have taught you
1 Non-sci prof who has taught you
1 From each research PI (only need some places)
1 clinical/EC letter (optional)

Members don't see this ad :)
DrBowtie's suggestions should cover pretty much every medical school. If you take time off between school and working, then you'd want a work reference too. I'd suggest just getting two science professors in addition to the research (probably only need a rec from one of the PIs, as it wouldn't say much different to get two from the same activity). Though some schools are flexible, some schools are strict.

DrBowtie's suggestions should cover pretty much every medical school. If you take time off between school and working, then you'd want a work reference too. I'd suggest just getting two science professors in addition to the research (probably only need a rec from one of the PIs, as it wouldn't say much different to get two from the same activity). Though some schools are flexible, some schools are strict.

You'd be surprised. I substituted a research PI letter for a second science letter and it was no problem at all at 14 schools I submitted secondaries to.