confusion about osteopathic medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angryazn88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question, I'm writing my "why DO" secondary essay and while writing, I confused myself and I want to get something straight. The holistic approach = mind,body,spirit to treat the patient, right? And also, is OMM a part of the holistic approach to medicine? I got confused because OMM only affects the body physically and not mentally or spiritually. Can anyone explain?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question, I'm writing my "why DO" secondary essay and while writing, I confused myself and I want to get something straight. The holistic approach = mind,body,spirit to treat the patient, right? And also, is OMM a part of the holistic approach to medicine? I got confused because OMM only affects the body physically and not mentally or spiritually. Can anyone explain?

You are reading waaay too much into this. The holistic approach is basically what you said, as many factors are involved with patient care. OMM is a complementary aspect of medicine that you can use to contribute to holistic care.

Yeah don't sweat this too much honestly. Just remember that they read the same thing over and over again for these essays, so you want to make sure your answer doesn't sound too cliche. It's super challenging, but it can be done.

Also, on the note of OMM, it's definitely primarily physical, but there are behavioral/social aspects taught with respect to OMM. The physical part is definitely the major focus though. The idea and significance of OMM is how much it focuses on the interconnectedness of the different body systems and thinking outside the box when it comes to diagnoses (ie your headaches can be a result of having a short leg, which isn't really an OMM thing, but can be addressed without the use of pharmaceuticals and surgery).

While everyone might have their own take on all of this, this is my two cents as a newly minted OMS-I...don't read too deep into that essay though. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! i guess i got myself worried for no reason haha

The holistic approach is geared predominately toward the "whole body" or one system of the body affects the efficiency of other systems, etc. Not so much spirit.

getting some manipulation to get rid of ur physical pain can definitely affect you mentally...it would affect me mentally.