Confusion: International student; Loans; and F1 Visa. Please advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drtime7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a little confused about the visa and loans. After I have an offer of admission, I need to apply for loans and F1 visa. Now, what confuses me is that when I look up for the requirements of applying for the loans, the banks state that I need to have an I20 or F1 visa. While, when I look at the I20 or F1 visa application, they require a proof of funds. But if I am planning to borrow international student loans to pay for my cost of attendance, shouldn't I be able to get a loan approved prior to applying for visa, so i can prove that I have the adequate funds to support my education. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I am a little confused about the visa and loans. After I have an offer of admission, I need to apply for loans and F1 visa. Now, what confuses me is that when I look up for the requirements of applying for the loans, the banks state that I need to have an I20 or F1 visa. While, when I look at the I20 or F1 visa application, they require a proof of funds. But if I am planning to borrow international student loans to pay for my cost of attendance, shouldn't I be able to get a loan approved prior to applying for visa, so i can prove that I have the adequate funds to support my education. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

Did you figure this out?

You won't be able to get F-1 without proof of funds. So that means you will have to get someone to cosign or show the officials that the liquid cash is available in your name on the bank statement.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile