Confusion with AMCAS academis year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyEyesMesmerize

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether the description of a semester goes with the year the semester is in or the year in which that academis year started. For example this past spring from Jan to May..would that be considered Spring in academic year 2001 or 2002?

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS changes that automatically, based on the information your school provides them. All you have to do is put in the actual calender year that the semester falls in. For example, put the Spring of 2001-2002 school year down as Spring 2002.

I wish AMCAS just let us put in the acedmic year. My school is on the quarter system and winter (second) quarter starts after christmas break (like most places i think). So, for the 1999-2000 school year I put calendar year 2000 and it puts it in the 2000-2001 school year. Of course I didn't realize until I had enter the classes so then I had to go back and delete the classes and put them in the right acedmic year.

Members don't see this ad :)
STi555,

I'm in a similar situation with the quarter system. So for a winter quarter that actually starts in Jan 2001, I should label it as Winter 2000?

Thanks!

UCLA Paratrooper

•••quote:•••Originally posted by UCLA Paratrooper:
• So for a winter quarter that actually starts in Jan 2001, I should label it as Winter 2000?

•••••I am on a quarter system too, so I had a LOT of fun with the coursework section last year. :mad: I set my winters as starting in Dec. (even though we actually began classes in Jan.) so I could get the quarters to appear in chronological order on my app.

Good luck!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by UCLA Paratrooper:
•STi555,

I'm in a similar situation with the quarter system. So for a winter quarter that actually starts in Jan 2001, I should label it as Winter 2000?
•••••it was this very same question that prompted my very first post on SDN last year (awwww.....). apparently AMCAS hasn't fixed the situation for this application cycle so that it makes more sense--i submitted my app with every single winter quarter being off by a year. yes, most schools on quarters (like my undergrad) or trimesters have winter terms that start the following january. HOWEVER, for whatever reason, AMCAS considers winter quarters/trimesters to start in DECEMBER, NOT january like does for like 99% of these schools, so what you need to do is put the previous calendar year for winter terms. so if you are trying to enter winter quarter of academic year 2000-2001 (meaning that winter quarter actually took place in calendar year 2001), you need to enter calendar year 2000. yes, it's technically incorrect, but it will make your terms 'line up' correctly.

why did AMCAS do it this way?!

Thanks for the replies guys!!! It help a lot!

UCLA Paratrooper