Congrats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lacheln

Cavorting in the Hills
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to wish everyone a happy "end of the year" - I realize that people end at different times depending on the school and the stage you're at, but I've just finished MS1 and am a very happy girl at the moment. It flew by, was kind of awesome, and even if this year hasn't been enjoyable for you - IT'S OVER! Congratulations on moving on to the next step, whatever that might be. :D Good luck in particular to everyone studying for step 1 or preparing for internship year, you're going to rock it!

Members don't see this ad.

Wish I was you. We had our last section final yesterday, but my school gives an end-of-year cumulative exam of everything we learned that year (and you have to pass it to go on). It's scheduled for next week. Can't believe how much I've forgotten from before Christmas, especially micro.

Lucky, my semester ends October. November 7th is the final, got a lot of reading to do!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
but my school gives an end-of-year cumulative exam of everything we learned that year (and you have to pass it to go on).

:scared: I would die.

Just finished the last 'real' test of M1. I have a few BS kind of things I have to do next week, but nothing that requires much brain power, so I consider myself somewhat done.

Yeah congrats to you all who have finished MS1 - first year was the worst year of my life. Second year was a little better. Third year has been earth-shatteringly great :cool:.

It all gets better from where you are. Cheers.

:scared: I would die.

Just finished the last 'real' test of M1. I have a few BS kind of things I have to do next week, but nothing that requires much brain power, so I consider myself somewhat done.

We had 4 cumulative exams (anatomy/development, histo, and 2 NBME (physio and biochem). It wasn't that big of a deal.

we have one more week- we have the last in house exam (virology/mycology) then the micro NBME next Friday... seriously who keeps people in school after Memorial Day?

we have one more week- we have the last in house exam (virology/mycology) then the micro NBME next Friday... seriously who keeps people in school after Memorial Day?

TCOM only gets TWO WEEKS off and they have required preceptorships!! I think we get a pretty great summer! :)

I had school into mid-June as an MS1 and several shelf exams to take at the end of it (physio, histo and biochem) so I don't think it's that unusual for schools to still be going in June (we had 6 weeks off entirely I believe, though it might have been 7).

Anyways, congratulations on finishing Med 1 those of you who have and enjoy your summer.

Assuming you remember everything.

No. No one remembers everything. These things have a major curve on them. Our MS1 Director told us that if he graded based on our raw scores, 75% of the class would score below a 70%. Instead, our average was right where it should have been.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to wish everyone a happy "end of the year" - I realize that people end at different times depending on the school and the stage you're at, but I've just finished MS1 and am a very happy girl at the moment. It flew by, was kind of awesome, and even if this year hasn't been enjoyable for you - IT'S OVER! Congratulations on moving on to the next step, whatever that might be. :D Good luck in particular to everyone studying for step 1 or preparing for internship year, you're going to rock it!

Likewise. :thumbup:

I hope so. First year was cool for the experience and all that, but I'm so glad it's over.

Wish I was you. We had our last section final yesterday, but my school gives an end-of-year cumulative exam of everything we learned that year (and you have to pass it to go on). It's scheduled for next week. Can't believe how much I've forgotten from before Christmas, especially micro.

What school do you go to? I'll be sure not to apply... jk

yikes that really tough!

Here at UCSD the incoming MS1's will have a similar final! You will be thankful come Step 1

best of luck to ya

I've still got 3 weeks :( But it'll be a light 3 weeks - the classes at the end of our year aren't too difficult. The most important class is physiology and besides that we just have little classes (med psych, and some military classes).

We just had our white coat ceremony last Friday and we have no exams this week, so I've been taking this 3 day weekend to hang out with my family and take a break before knocking out the last few weeks. :)

Ugh, I have 11 days left and I am DRAGGING. We have our clinical skills assessment this week, and then our final doctoring and neuro exams next week.

School in June is lame.

Yeah congrats to you all who have finished MS1 - first year was the worst year of my life. Second year was a little better. Third year has been earth-shatteringly great :cool:.

I love hearing stories like this. MS1 has been... bearable. Almost over. Anatomy was excruciating, a few high points, a few memorable times... but overall, such drudgery as I have never before experienced. Plus, the pace that's kept pretty much squelches any natural curiosity or interest.

But never mind that. Only a bit more to go, and onto 2nd year. I'm actually really looking forward to studying for Step 1. I don't mind studying if I can set my own schedule & have something concrete at the end of it by which to measure my performance. I just hate the massive hours upon hours of lecture piled upon us by our curriculum.

Third year should be a lot more palatable. Sigh. Onwards and upwards!

This has been the shortest and yet longest year of my life. While I was in class, I thought it'd never end (I'm pretty sure anatomy actually lasted 5 years) but now I look back and honestly can't believe how fast it went. I have vague memories of studying a lot, but can't remember what else I did. I feel like I went to sleep and woke up a second year and don't remember anything that happened in between because it was too monotonous and boring to commit it to memory. Bizarre.

I'm actually really looking forward to studying for Step 1.

Whoa. I'll be doing it with you, but I can't help but wonder if you're gonna still think that come early May of last year.

This has been the shortest and yet longest year of my life. While I was in class, I thought it'd never end (I'm pretty sure anatomy actually lasted 5 years) but now I look back and honestly can't believe how fast it went. I have vague memories of studying a lot, but can't remember what else I did. I feel like I went to sleep and woke up a second year and don't remember anything that happened in between because it was too monotonous and boring to commit it to memory. Bizarre.

Definitely. Was cool doing it and all -- sorta -- but I'm so glad it's over. Much of "it" is blurry.

Yeah, it was kind of bizarre how it dragged at some points and flew at others. If I never had to do anything GI related again my life would be much happier. BORING. :beat:

But I digress, I guess the reason I classified MS1 as awesome is because:

1) I'm that much closer to the ultimate goal of being a practicing dr.

2) It really did fly in retrospect.

3) I learned a crapton. I mean, seriously, there are all these things about which I thought I knew something before school, and yet as it turns out, didn't. If that can happen in a year, and it only gets more intense from here on out (except for 4th year...anyone else already planning their electives?) I can see how I'm actually going to eventually be worth something medically. Wild. I dunno, maybe I'm a dork, but I still get rather excited whenever it hits me that I'm going to learn enough to do that ****e.

And actually, I learned a lot about myself this year too, stuff that I probably should have already known. Having my feet put to the fire crystallized some things about what I truly need vs. want, how easy it is to fall for the quick and dirty pick-me-up when things suck, and how to keep my sights steady on the long view. I'm a nontrad...didn't really expect it to be all that enlightening. This is the first thing I've ever done that was purely for me though, not my family. It's been interesting.

The process itself had its ups and downs, I definitely had some rough spots this year (bad GI, BAD!). But I didn't go to med school to "go to med school" so I wasn't expecting to love it all...it's just a hurdle to be jumped, and appreciated/tolerated as best I can along the way. Maybe that's why I'm not hugely fazed. Well, that and I'm on summer break now...everything's rosy. And on that note, since summer research hasn't started yet, I'm off to the beach. :cool:

I have been done since 5/21 and it's been fantastic. I feel for those in my class having to retake exams. Ugh.

I also feel like I learned a lot.. now if only I could remember what it was that I learned? LOL, J/K. I knew I learned a little bit when I went to see Iron Man 2 and understood the physiological reason Tony Stark was falling ill.

I'm looking forward to M2 to a) move to another campus for my last 3 years and being able to move HOME with my DH again! and b) getting pathophys. I learn so much better when I can relate the material to actual clinical situations.

Here's to all of us newly-minted M2's!

champagne400.jpg

It goes faster and faster. I finished med school almost two weeks ago, and I can't believe that it's done. It seems like I just started a few months ago. It certainly doesn't seem like it was 4 years ago.

Done today and I'm pretty proud of myself. It had been 13 years since I'd been a full-time student. Those first couple of blocks were hell. Basically had to learn how to study again. But by December I found a groove that worked for me.

Congrats to everyone!

Done today and I'm pretty proud of myself. It had been 13 years since I'd been a full-time student. Those first couple of blocks were hell. Basically had to learn how to study again. But by December I found a groove that worked for me.

Congrats to everyone!

way to go, NTF!

feels good to keep up with those young whippersnappers, huh!

:clap:

Jebus, we just finished our neuro final/lab practical today. AND we still have 3 shelfs on monday, teusday, wednesday. What's the point of these shelfs when it's not even graded?

wooooooooooooooooooohooooo...last final...and the hardes one too!!!!

FIND THE LESION B$%&#ES!

Oh shoot...I have to go do the number one and I cannot control it, but I know when it is coming...Where is my lesion?

A thirty year-old-right handed woman presents with gradually worsening memory and recent spells. During a "spell" she experiences a sudden intense feeling of deja vu lasting for about thirty seconds and also decribes an unusual odor of burning rubber. She is told from family members that she then stares and makes pushing movements with her extremities and when spoken to, she responds "huh". Afterward, she is confused and sleepy for thirty minutes. She has no recall for the staring, unresponsive period and the thirty minutes after. Neurological exam is nromal except she has mild impairment to learn new nonverbal (but not verbal) material. The lesion causing these episodes is most likely found in the:

A. anterior parietal lobe
B. orbital frontal cortex
C. medial diencephalon
D. medial temporal lobe
E. posterior frontal lobe

Those of you who had cumulative exams at the end of MS1, how would you study for something like that? I wonder if that helps for board study. My school is thinking about doing something like that for the Class of 2015 and they may test it out on us, but it won't count for anything for our class.