Congratulations, you matched!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikecwru

M.D. = Massive Debt
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, did everyone get the e-mail?

mike

Members don't see this ad.

Thank God I have matched!!!!!!!!!!!! For all of you out there who are feeling discouraged....I am an FMG who failed the USMLE part I the first time and just matched in emergency medicine. Don't give up!

Can't wait to hear where everyone is going next year!

MelB

I matched!!!!!...what a relief...I wouldn't put this amount of anxiety on anyone.....

now...where am I going?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by mountebank
I matched!!!!!...what a relief...I wouldn't put this amount of anxiety on anyone.....

now...where am I going?

Yeah, for emergency medicine, this day is most exciting for FMGs or people who had a true fear of not matching. But since most of us have long ass ROLs, we're still left up in the air until Thurs. Don't get me wrong. I prefer this to the alternative.

mike

i matched!!!!
now i'm breaking out the cohibas!!!
wish there was someone here to celebrate with.

Got the email, too. I indeed did match. Did you all go to the site to see the regional statistics? Seems the unmatched for the programs has increased slightly. Just did a quick calc and it is a 3.7% unfilled for the programs.

For those too lazy to check it out themselves, here's a summary:

Western: 136 - 3 unfilled
Central: 321 - 15 unfilled
Southern: 264 - 14 unfilled
Northeastern: 393 - 9 unfilled

That's 41 spots unfilled. Compared with 21 last year, and 6 the year before. But there are a couple new programs this year. But anyways.

Congrats to those that matched.
Three more days.

I had to sneak out of the office today to drive down to Tampa to check the internet. "We don't got none internet he-yah" (Where I'm doing my rurals).

Q

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
Got the email, too. I indeed did match. Did you all go to the site to see the regional statistics? Seems the unmatched for the programs has increased slightly. Just did a quick calc and it is a 3.7% unfilled for the programs.

For those too lazy to check it out themselves, here's a summary:

Western: 136 - 3 unfilled
Central: 321 - 15 unfilled
Southern: 264 - 14 unfilled
Northeastern: 393 - 9 unfilled

That's 41 spots unfilled. Compared with 21 last year, and 6 the year before. But there are a couple new programs this year. But anyways...
Q

Those are pretty impressive statistics-41 spots. I would almost venture to say that PDs may not have made their lists long enough, or applicants too. Then again, maybe most of those are PGY-2 positions that PDs may have wanted to wait to fill next year. Who knows, for sure. But it will be interesting to see which programs didn't fill...

anyway, I, too, made the match, so I'm at least in the clear...

Best of wishes with the remainder of the match....

Originally posted by sweetfynesse
Those are pretty impressive statistics-41 spots. I would almost venture to say that PDs may not have made their lists long enough, or applicants too. Then again, maybe most of those are PGY-2 positions that PDs may have wanted to wait to fill next year. Who knows, for sure. But it will be interesting to see which programs didn't fill...

anyway, I, too, made the match, so I'm at least in the clear...

Best of wishes with the remainder of the match....

Okay, disregard that previous post now that I understand the regional statistics a little better. It seems there were 1114 PGY-1 positions offered with 41 spots going unfilled, whereas 7 spots went unfilled for the 137 PGY-2 postions offered...I wander how this will effect the competitiveness of EMed in the future...

Best wishes

I also matched, and thank God.

Originally posted by jpgreer13
I also matched, and thank God.

Excellent, now I can begin healing one ulcer while I patiently wait until Thursday for the other one!

Good Luck Everyone!

Congrats! to all that matched. May you all get your first spot!

As I expected, I didn't match, but one of those 41 spots IS MINE!!!! Wish me luck tomorrow!

good luck annette....wishin you the best!!!
let us know what happens

Best of wishes to you Annette...I will certainly be thinking about on tomorrow...GO GET YOUR SPOT!!!

Good Luck Annette, I know how you feel. Hoping for the best for you tomorrow--there are a lot of unfilled spots this year and I think that any of the programs would be lucky to get you.

Best of Luck,

Melb

go get em annette, and all those who did not match. now i have take step 2 (literally, now).

I am a US-IMG and am interested in EM. Could some of you that matched please share your Step I score? I just sat for Step I and would like to see how I compare.

Thanks.

Hey,

Check this out:

number of classes failed in medical school 2
step 1 scores 198
step 2 scores 189
number of interviews 4
number of away electives (my school does not have an ER residency) 0
matched priceless.

So don't be hard on yourself if you are not AOA or didn't do well on the boards. For some reason it will work out at the end.

Lucy

Congratulations to all of us that matched, hope you all get your top choices come Thursday.

Annette and everyone else that didn't match, good luck with the scramble. There are some good programs to scramble into.

Hey Dawg, I wouldn't fret a lack-luster step one score, although I did well on step 1 (236) and mediocre on step 2 (218) I don't think they really had an impact on my marketability. I'll quote a study from the Univ of Chicago that evaluated EM programs and what factors they used to chose their rank lists, in this order: grade in an EM rotation, interview, clinical grades, other(?), Rec's, grades (overall)....STEP 2 was 9th, step 1 was 11th,
I think EM pd's value the "intangibles" perhaps more than other disciplines.
Reference: "Selection Criteria for Emergency Medicine REsidency Applicants" Crane and Ferraro-Academic Emerg Med Jan 2000, vol 7 num 1. Man!..am I anal or what?