Conjugate Systems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaintJude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kaplan

A molecule is conjugated because it is able to delocalize pi electrons, because they are located above and below the nuclei, and can thus be delocalized to either side of the atom

What's this about an electron being located above and below the nuclei?

Members don't see this ad.

Haha--thank you chiddler!I'll easily remember that pi bonds are like "hi-fives" Encountered a question that asked me to identify pi bond but I forgot how they looked like. Won't forget now. :highfive:

So if the pi orbitals were considered vertical bowties, the nucleus is the inner button? And the loops represent electron density?

Haha--thank you chiddler!I'll easily remember that pi bonds are like "hi-fives" Encountered a question that asked me to identify pi bond but I forgot how they looked like. Won't forget now. :highfive:

So if the pi orbitals were considered vertical bowties, the nucleus is the inner button? And the loops represent electron density?

Not really understanding your analogy, but maybe this will help.

dblbond-PH.gif

Members don't see this ad :)

that works!