Connecticut Job - Private Practice, Partnership Track available

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bocciball

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Long time SDN member who has not posted in a while. My private practice Anesthesiologist owned group is hiring in Connecticut. We have openings due to acquiring new clinical sites and a few retirements. My group is unique in a few ways. We have an affiliation with the University of Connecticut Anesthesiology residency program and train their residents at our largest clinical site. We do this as private practice physicians with the compensation and time off benefits you would normally expect in a private practice environment. This private-academic arrangement has been present for many decades and our relationship with the school of medicine is very strong. There is no demand for research activity, however if desired it can be supported through several active ongoing clinical research studies. We have active programs in cardiothoracic, thoracic, vascular, regional, pediatric, obstetrics, and orthopedics.

Our practice is solely owned by the physicians who work with you everyday. It is run in a democratic manner and everyone gets a say in how the practice operates as part of our group meetings. One other unique aspect of our practice is that we own a billing company which can be bought into once you become a partner. This provides passive income while you work and also after you retire. We were recently recognized as Modern Healthcare's Best Places to Work in 2021. Anyhow, if anyone is interested please let me know. I would be happy to speak with you as a member of our hiring committee. More information about our practice is available at our website: IAAPartners.com .

Please private message me on this forum or email us at [email protected] if you are interested. We do sponsor J1 visas for select candidates.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

Long time SDN member who has not posted in a while. My private practice Anesthesiologist owned group is hiring in Connecticut. We have openings due to acquiring new clinical sites and a few retirements. My group is unique in a few ways. We have an affiliation with the University of Connecticut Anesthesiology residency program and train their residents at our largest clinical site. We do this as private practice physicians with the compensation and time off benefits you would normally expect in a private practice environment. This private-academic arrangement has been present for many decades and our relationship with the school of medicine is very strong. There is no demand for research activity, however if desired it can be supported through several active ongoing clinical research studies. We have active programs in cardiothoracic, thoracic, vascular, regional, pediatric, obstetrics, and orthopedics.

Our practice is solely owned by the physicians who work with you everyday. It is run in a democratic manner and everyone gets a say in how the practice operates as part of our group meetings. One other unique aspect of our practice is that we own a billing company which can be bought into once you become a partner. This provides passive income while you work and also after you retire. We were recently recognized as Modern Healthcare's Best Places to Work in 2021. Anyhow, if anyone is interested please let me know. I would be happy to speak with you as a member of our hiring committee. More information about our practice is available at our website: IAAPartners.com .

Please private message me on this forum or email us at [email protected] if you are interested. We do sponsor J1 visas for interested candidates.

Salary, time off, etc?

I've been a partner with IAA for almost 8 years now, and I can say that it's really a unique gem of a practice that's not like anything else. I did my residency and regional fellowship at 2 different, heavily academic institutions. During that time, I did research, published, and was convinced that I was going to be an academic physician. There really was no exposure to private practice in these 2 heavily academic programs, so no one could offer me guidance, and I felt like I was letting them down by not going into academics. However, due to several family reasons, I found myself back in CT and did not like the job at Yale, so I joined a small private practice group in CT that was not good at all. I left there to go to another private practice group that was sold to NAPA before I was partner, so I left there, too. Then I went to IAA and I've been there ever since and I'm very happy there. Here are some of the things I like about IAA and why they're so different than what's out there.

1) They are a blend of academics and private practice that offer the good stuff of private practice (fast pace, high acuity of cases, nice salaries, benefits, and vacation) with academics (teaching residents, SRNAs, fellows, clinical research options). However, you don't have to deal with a lot of the headaches and annoyances of academics (publish or perish, low salary, university bureaucracy). To me, this was the ideal mixture of the two.

2) They are physician owned and therefore you have the CONTROL over your life and job. Many of the big corporation jobs (NAPA, Sheridan, Mednax) sound enticing in the ads, but when you look into the nitty gritty of the jobs, you'll realize that they're just out for their bottom line and their employees will take the brunt of the work when profits are down, or they are understaffed With IAA, you can become a partner, so the profits all get split with the partners. No middle man skimming off the top. When you're understaffed, yeah you work harder, but you make more because your expenses are down and revenue is up. That doesn't happen at large corporate groups.

3) It's a big group with a small group feel. You get the benefits of the large group with negotiating better rates, staffing, and opportunities to grow and expand. We have a great partnership with Hartford HealthCare which is the largest and most profitable healthcare system in CT. As they expand, so do we.

4) We offer opportunities for REAL partnerships and actual ownership in the group - not the fake partnerships offered by corporate anesthesia groups. Partners have great financial benefits, additional vacation, voting rights in the company, and opportunities for passive income streams.

5) We are incredibly fair and democratic - salary, vacation time, opportunities for extra pay - it's all done in a way to make sure no one gets screwed. If you've been there 1 year, you have the same vacation allocation and distribution as someone who has been there for 30 years. Also, there are so many ways to pick up extra shifts or get rid of shifts to either make more money or get more time. It works well for people at different stages of their careers. When I first joined the group, I picked up all these extra calls from one of the senior partners who thanked me for taking all of them. I thanked him for paying for my kitchen remodel. Now, I'm starting to sell some of my calls. The flexibility is great.

6) The call schedule is not very frequent, very fair and incredibly predictable. I can tell you when I will be on call 5 years from now with the way we have our call system.

This group is a great career. It's not perfect, but no job is. However, it definitely has a great balance and the best part of it is that if we don't like an aspect of our job, then we can change it. That's the perk of being independently owned.

Happy to talk with anyone else more about it.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a partner with IAA for almost 8 years now, and I can say that it's really a unique gem of a practice that's not like anything else. I did my residency and regional fellowship at 2 different, heavily academic institutions. During that time, I did research, published, and was convinced that I was going to be an academic physician. There really was no exposure to private practice in these 2 heavily academic programs, so no one could offer me guidance, and I felt like I was letting them down by not going into academics. However, due to several family reasons, I found myself back in CT and did not like the job at Yale, so I joined a small private practice group in CT that was not good at all. I left there to go to another private practice group that was sold to NAPA before I was partner, so I left there, too. Then I went to IAA and I've been there ever since and I'm very happy there. Here are some of the things I like about IAA and why they're so different than what's out there.

1) They are a blend of academics and private practice that offer the good stuff of private practice (fast pace, high acuity of cases, nice salaries, benefits, and vacation) with academics (teaching residents, SRNAs, fellows, clinical research options). However, you don't have to deal with a lot of the headaches and annoyances of academics (publish or perish, low salary, university bureaucracy). To me, this was the ideal mixture of the two.

2) They are physician owned and therefore you have the CONTROL over your life and job. Many of the big corporation jobs (NAPA, Sheridan, Mednax) sound enticing in the ads, but when you look into the nitty gritty of the jobs, you'll realize that they're just out for their bottom line and their employees will take the brunt of the work when profits are down, or they are understaffed With IAA, you can become a partner, so the profits all get split with the partners. No middle man skimming off the top. When you're understaffed, yeah you work harder, but you make more because your expenses are down and revenue is up. That doesn't happen at large corporate groups.

3) It's a big group with a small group feel. You get the benefits of the large group with negotiating better rates, staffing, and opportunities to grow and expand. We have a great partnership with Hartford HealthCare which is the largest and most profitable healthcare system in CT. As they expand, so do we.

4) We offer opportunities for REAL partnerships and actual ownership in the group - not the fake partnerships offered by corporate anesthesia groups. Partners have great financial benefits, additional vacation, voting rights in the company, and opportunities for passive income streams.

5) We are incredibly fair and democratic - salary, vacation time, opportunities for extra pay - it's all done in a way to make sure no one gets screwed. If you've been there 1 year, you have the same vacation allocation and distribution as someone who has been there for 30 years. Also, there are so many ways to pick up extra shifts or get rid of shifts to either make more money or get more time. It works well for people at different stages of their careers. When I first joined the group, I picked up all these extra calls from one of the senior partners who thanked me for taking all of them. I thanked him for paying for my kitchen remodel. Now, I'm starting to sell some of my calls. The flexibility is great.

6) The call schedule is not very frequent, very fair and incredibly predictable. I can tell you when I will be on call 5 years from now with the way we have our call system.

This group is a great career. It's not perfect, but no job is. However, it definitely has a great balance and the best part of it is that if we don't like an aspect of our job, then we can change it. That's the perk of being independently owned.

Happy to talk with anyone else more about it.
How do you balance fast paced with resident teaching?

teaching Resident putting in arterial line central line epidural will be 2 hours.

That's one of the reasons why it's slow where I work. Residents are slow, you teach a bunch and next month is a new batch. (And we have very good residents) I like teaching but don't like being rushed and do a crappy job at teaching especially when surgeons can have their interns do a hour long closure on port site.

How do you do it?

Reactions: 1 user

teaching Resident putting in arterial line central line epidural will be 2 hours.

That's one of the reasons why it's slow where I work. Residents are slow, you teach a bunch and next month is a new batch. (And we have very good residents) I like teaching but don't like being rushed and do a crappy job at teaching especially when surgeons can have their interns do a hour long closure on port site.

How do you do it?
Teaching line placement takes 2 hours?

If the resident comes prepared and is read up on the steps, it shouldn't take 2 hours to do any procedure that we do, even for the first attempt. If it is particularly challenging due to patient anatomy, attending should take over after allowing ample attempts.

If the resident is totally clueless and you have to explain every step in detail, which I think may be happening if you are taking 2 hours to teach a central line, maybe you should guide them with more hands-on approach.

I am a fellow, but when I was teaching interns and junior residents who are really green, my take was, if you are not prepared to learn, you don’t deserve to learn. Teaching and learning is a two way street.

Reactions: 6 users

How do you do it?
2 hours seems too long?
Where I am a resident, we put in an introducer, swan, arterial line, intubate, and a TEE in under 45 minutes. This is residents on their first cardiac rotation. Same with livers.

How do you do it?

Epidural 15 minutes. intubation 2 minutes. a line 5 minutes. cvl 15 minutes. Conservatively. Shouldnt be more than 45 and definitely less than an hour. Your surgeons are saints for waiting.

Epidural 15 minutes. intubation 2 minutes. a line 5 minutes. cvl 15 minutes. Conservatively. Shouldnt be more than 45 and definitely less than an hour. Your surgeons are saints for waiting.

We didn’t put epidurals, with a-line, intubation, cvl, swan, TEE probe and position. Most of our surgeons were pretty happy with anything under an hour. They usually have their PAs to start anyways. Few were more “academic” oriented surgeons who can take up to 5 hours for 3 vessel cabg, that’s when I really don’t care about my anesthesia time.

How do you do it?
The way we do it is with practice, policies, and protocols. I mostly do acute pain and regional anesthesia which and we have a separate team at each of our hospitals (one at the main hospital and one at the orthopedic hospitals). On each pain service we have a fellowship trained regional attending, a regional fellow, a block nurse, and either a CA2 resident or SRNA. First blocks of the day are done by the attendings or the fellows, so that helps speed things along. We (the attendings) need to know when it's appropriate to let the resident/fellow struggle and when to step in. We (the regional anesthesiologists) designed protocols for all our blocks so that the block nurses will have the meds set up, patient info in the USN, patients on the monitors, and ready to assist us with the blocks. We have a really efficient system.

Regarding a-lines, we have PAs who are incredible at them who place them for us. The residents have a preop month where they do a-line after a-line, mostly taught by the PAs. They get really good at them. Again, there's a great system in place.

Don't get me wrong, it's not necessarily easy to balance all of this, but we came up with the best protocols and policies to help. Even though we are a private group who contracts with the hospital, we have a great relationship with the administrative staff and they support us (buying ultrasounds, providing 5 block nurses) to help us succeed. It's nice to have that partnership.

Reactions: 1 users
The way we do it is with practice, policies, and protocols. I mostly do acute pain and regional anesthesia which and we have a separate team at each of our hospitals (one at the main hospital and one at the orthopedic hospitals). On each pain service we have a fellowship trained regional attending, a regional fellow, a block nurse, and either a CA2 resident or SRNA. First blocks of the day are done by the attendings or the fellows, so that helps speed things along. We (the attendings) need to know when it's appropriate to let the resident/fellow struggle and when to step in. We (the regional anesthesiologists) designed protocols for all our blocks so that the block nurses will have the meds set up, patient info in the USN, patients on the monitors, and ready to assist us with the blocks. We have a really efficient system.

Regarding a-lines, we have PAs who are incredible at them who place them for us. The residents have a preop month where they do a-line after a-line, mostly taught by the PAs. They get really good at them. Again, there's a great system in place.

Don't get me wrong, it's not necessarily easy to balance all of this, but we came up with the best protocols and policies to help. Even though we are a private group who contracts with the hospital, we have a great relationship with the administrative staff and they support us (buying ultrasounds, providing 5 block nurses) to help us succeed. It's nice to have that partnership.

Assembly lines are often the best way to get the job done. Sounds like you have a nice setup to be fast, safe, and efficient while still giving residents an opportunity to learn.

How do you do it?
If things are consistently taking this long with every batch of residents sometimes you have to start questioning the teaching

It sounds good.

How long is the partner track? % become partner? Junior partners senior partners financially equal?

It sounds good.

How long is the partner track? % become partner? Junior partners senior partners financially equal?
You guys train SRNAs...? Come on... Are there CRNAs as well? Own cases available or only teaching?

You guys train SRNAs...? Come on... Are there CRNAs as well? Own cases available or only teaching?

We have an affiliation with Central Connecticut State University's Nurse Anesthesia program. Our hospital is one of the largest teaching hospitals in Connecticut. The largest group of trainees is our Anesthesia residents. We also provide in the OR airway training to paramedics, dental residents, OMF residents, emergency medicine physicians, critical care fellows. I am sure most other large hospitals do the same.

We have a large CRNA department which are employed by the practice for which we provide supervision in an anesthesia care team model. About 30% of the time we perform our own anesthetics which most of us feel adds greatly to job satisfaction. If you would like to learn more about our practice please feel free to message me. We are grateful to be a stabile, democratic, physician owned and lead practice. We realize this is not as common as it used to be and strive ourselves on advancing our practice in the care team model.

We have an affiliation with Central Connecticut State University's Nurse Anesthesia program. Our hospital is one of the largest teaching hospitals in Connecticut. The largest group of trainees is our Anesthesia residents. We also provide in the OR airway training to paramedics, dental residents, OMF residents, emergency medicine physicians, critical care fellows. I am sure most other large hospitals do the same.

We have a large CRNA department which are employed by the practice for which we provide supervision in an anesthesia care team model. About 30% of the time we perform our own anesthetics which most of us feel adds greatly to job satisfaction. If you would like to learn more about our practice please feel free to message me. We are grateful to be a stabile, democratic, physician owned and lead practice. We realize this is not as common as it used to be and strive ourselves on advancing our practice in the care team model.
Other than nerve blocks, what other procedures are taught to SRNAs/CRNAs? Also, are SRNAs/CRNAs in your cardiac rooms or are those cases resident / attending only?

Other than nerve blocks, what other procedures are taught to SRNAs/CRNAs? Also, are SRNAs/CRNAs in your cardiac rooms or are those cases resident / attending only?
One fellowship trained physician per cardiac room. SRNA have minimal block exposure. We are dedicated to anesthesia care team model of care.

Never heard of a srna on a block service... I mean really? Why train our replacements so willingly... Yeah can you work without having to be with student nurses?

Reactions: 1 users