Connections for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

THaramura

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am undergrad at a school with a famous med school. It's not likely I can get in but I wonder if I will be able to use connections I have where with the faculty at my school. If I do research and publish paper with that professor and get lor will that help me applying to that specialty in general?
Also, will I be able to get away rotation chances from such connections?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am undergrad at an ivy school with top 5 med school. It's not likely I can get in bit I wonder if I will be able to use connections I have where with the faculty at my school. If I do research and publish paper with that professor and get lor will that help me applying to that specialty in general? I am doing radio oncology research and I want to do rad or rad onc . Does this help or not?
Thanks for any advice!!

1) you're in the wrong forum. This is medical for DO students, you want pre-med for MD.

2) I highly doubt it. First of all, getting into a top 5 med school is something even the absolute top applicants need to sell their soul to achieve. Even if you had the numbers, and the extracurriculars/leadership that is absolutely required of a top 5 school, I'd say no - especially if your "connection" is doing research. If your connection was "I'm part of a political dynasty family that donates several million to the school," then I'd say... maybe?

Edit: after reading your post again I'm kind of confused about what you're asking. Are you asking "I go to college at X. If I go to medical school at school Y, will my undergrad research connections help me get a residency at X medical school?" The answer to that is:

If you have a top board score, strong pubs in the field, and LORs from people in the field, having a personal history from someone involved in that specific residency program will indeed help a bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Your post resembles some of my worst soap notes before I got my teeth kicked in by preceptors.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
I am undergrad at a school with a famous med school. It's not likely I can get in but I wonder if I will be able to use connections I have where with the faculty at my school. If I do research and publish paper with that professor and get lor will that help me applying to that specialty in general?

1. Yes, connections and research at a well- known institution are useful for residency. I would try to maintain those connections through med school if possible.

2. Even if it doesn't help you get an invite for a residency interview at that school, if it's an LOR from someone well-known in the field, it might be helpful at other programs.

3. Whether or not it improves your chances of aways is really variable.

Now that all said, it will probably help you a good deal in your application for medical school, which is arguably more important since it doesn't rely on you maintaining that connection through med school and you can't really apply for residency without getting into and going through med school.

I say if you like the research and it won't adversely affect your performance on the MCAT or undergrad courses, then it's worth doing. Again connections and research experience at a well-known institution is always useful.

Reactions: 1 user