Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

consequences of quitting an Aegd....

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by MyAegdSUX, Dec 18, 2005.

1. MyAegdSUX

MyAegdSUX Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am thinking about quitting my Aegd.
    Now, before people start bashing me saying that I am taking up a spot someone else could have had etc... Let me make it very clear: if anyone else would have been interested they would be here. We have the capacity to have another 2 residents. If you have a DDS and a pulse you get the position.
    I really have wasted my last 6 months, I have received no advanced training, Plus people treat the 3 residents here like crap.

I have applied to OMS and went on several interviews. If i get into a program, I do not intend on completing my AEGD.
    What are the consequences?
    DO i need to ask permission of the OMS director, in the program i match at?
    Could my spot in OMS be revoked? -MyAEGDSUX.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BlueToothHunter

10+ Year Member

You won't start your OMS until July 1 next year... and if you do match to an OMS spot and you quit, just don't expect any Christmas cards from your AEGD co-residents/faculties anytime soon. I would recommend you sit tight through the AEGD for the next 6 month and survive it. Because if this is your attitude, you won't get very far even with OMS residency. As someone else said before in one of the forums that "residency ain't all that". It's another set of rules and stress that you must deal with (or learn to deal with). Hang in there, you're 6 months close to the end!

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Sorry that you are having a poor experience. I certainly don't have any experience in this area, but my initial thought it similar to the previous poster--just stick it out and do your time.

It seems that you may need to contact the OMS program director, should you choose to leave the AEGD. Couldn't it be possible that the AEGD on your application was something that raised you above another applicant with a similar CV? If that is possible, then it seems that you not completing the AEGD would lower your stock. But like I said, I have no experience in this area.

Something I do know is that although you are stating that you've wasted the last 6 months, I feel that the only way that could be true is if you drop out of the program prior to completing it. THEN you've wasted an entire year. You might as well finish it up and chalk it up on your CV.

5. esclavo

esclavo from frying pan into fire
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    My 2 cents: If your AEGD is rotten, which of what little I know, most AEGD's are the pits (kind of your fault for doing an AEGD-should have done a GPR or an OMFS internship). I would find an open internship or an open GPR and I would transfer instead of just quit. In my eyes and many I know an AEGD is like 5th year of dental school, not impressive at all. But two places are worse: private practice and not doing anything dental related. If you can find a move up (GPR or OMFS internship) then arrange that and then quit the AEGD and move over. But don't quit and go to private practice or just hang out for 6 months. This will look extremely bad. Trust me, your reputation means everthing in residency. What ever your program wants to believe about you in OMFS, they'll find ample ammunition to support their labeling of you. If your label is being a quitter before you even arrive on the scene, you will almost be under immediate suspicion and you'll spend the next 4-6 years battling that. The bright side, many people are getting axed from their GPR's or internships right now because they aren't cutting it (if I consider this a "bright"/"plus" you know how sickly opportunistic I am). For some strange reason, the Holidays seem to historically be a nice time to kick people out of programs (must be the six month thing), you might find something. Same principle in residency: if my program was the pits, I wouldn't quit, I would find another place, apply for a transfer, sign the contract and then tell my program (give them a notice of my quitting) and I would move right over to another program. But if I quit my program and then tried to find something (not super successful) I think you understand.

6. simpledoc

simpledoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i know of atleast 5 people who quit the AEGD half way through (some even after 4 months) and went on to private practice once they cleared the boards..is ot unethical and unjustified?? absolutely yes! can you do it? absolutely yes! and why? simply cuz this is democracy...you did not sign any binding contract with the program when you started and if it is a crappy program you can certainly quit..but, as someone else mentioned here, that if it was your AEGD which fortified your application to OMFS (which i think is true)..i would just swallow it up and hang on for another 6 more months, or may be discuss this in detail with your OMFS prog director and ask wther you can do an "unofficial mini internship" there before you start your actual residency...good luck..

7. esclavo

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Once again, AEGD's don't really fortify an OMFS application. But quitting one weakens it. Kind of a two edged sword....

8. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    That may not be true. If you obtained your AEGD position through the match, then it is supposed to be a binding agreement. Of course, if you quit and never enter match again, it doesn't matter. But if you obtain your OMS position also through match, then it can't be good to quit the AEGD (if you also obtained the AEGD through match). The OMS program could drop you, there are plenty of unmatched candidates left over after match who would happily take your spot. Why risk it?

9. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm not following all of your logic. Most GPRs are hospital-based, but not all of them, and likewise some AEGDs are hospital-based and not school-based.

So does a blanket statement about GPRs being better than AEGDs really cut it? What if the OP is at a hospital-based program?

[EDIT: I see he says that he's received no advanced training, so it sounds as though he probably is at a school-based program, although that's speculation]

10. simpledoc

simpledoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i agree!

11. TiggerJSA

TiggerJSA Examing the colon stinks
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am John Kimbel, and I say "Stop Whining!" Now, let's just play a little game. It's called "Who is your daddy? And what does he do?"

12. BlueToothHunter

10+ Year Member

Whatever program you're in, if your attitude is of a "quitter", then most certainley, you won't be a team player. And guess what? If you are a quitter and not a team player, I don't need a crystal ball to tell you that you will always be unsatisfied. Cheer up, old boy. Merry Christmas.

13. 1FutureDDS

1FutureDDS Dani California
    5+ Year Member

"i'm A Cop You Idiot!"

14. esclavo

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    GENERALLY: GPR's are not only hospital based but they get to work in the OR, manage medically compromised patients (coagulopathics, handicapped, cancer patients, etcetera, rotate with the OMFS team, do anesthesia, take call at the hospital, round on patients in the hospital, AS WELL as pack amalgam). More dentistry isn't gonna help you in OMFS. Working with and learning more about medical issues, manuvering in a hospital, anesthesia, OR experience, dental alveolar trauma, etc... that is helpful. AEGD's by definition don't have to have these elements. For the most part the heirarchy of "what do do while trying to get into OMFS" is 1. internship 2. GPR (I know some of these are weak and more akin to an AEGD- but some are unbelievable) 9. AEGD (the only good AEGD's I've heard about are military AEGD's where they get some good anesthesia training) 10.private practice. I was told by a program director that if I didn't get in to do an internship and then if I couldn't get one of those to find a solid GPR. They said stay away from AEGD's and private practice. Program directors suprisingly know about the good GPR's. I had a GPR guy we interviewed from Vermont or New Hampshire and he brougth a list of OMFS cases he scrubbed in as a first assistant and it wasn't a few (60-70 in three months). No OMFS program where he was so he essentially got to work with the 2 surgeons. He showed me all the admissions of those cases and some of the things he had learned while trying to help manage them in a hospital. I was impressed for a GPR. I would try to find a GPR like this. Hennepin County Hospital in Minneapolis worked its GPR residents 80-90 hours a week. It was another note worthy GPR.