Consider mostly lower teir schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

kmpedro

He everyone, this is my first thread ever, so try and be nice. :) I will be applying in June, and I was just wondering what everyone's suggestions would be concerning a 'range' of schools. Here is a bit about me: I attend my state university (UNM) where I have earned a 4.0 GPA thus far, and MCAT is a 31O. EC's: I have been on monthly ride alongs with local ambulances, 1 yr. working as a Phlebotomist (by interview time), 4 yrs. working for national labortories, with two and a half yrs. there doing computational research and testing on a meshing program (I am sure you all envy that one :) JK) Shadow local doctor for about 50 hours by interview time, volunteer at local shelter for homeless and drug attics, etc...

I am hoping to apply to around 20 shcools, and I was just curious, from those of you who have gone through it, how many lower teir, middle, and dream schools I should apply to with my given stats?

Thanks in advance for any help. I have been a long time lurker, and I find this forum very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of publications do you have?

And what are you interested in doing with your MD? Practice or Research?

I agree that you should probably give some more information (ie: what you want to do) and also tell us more about your non-medical extracurriculars in case you have any.

I'll be honest, your MCAT will probably hurt you. A good MCAT usually reinforces a good GPA; but an adequate but not amazing MCAT (30) can discredit a good, or in this case (4.0) exemplary GPA.

I would apply across the board but put an emphasis on safety schools (probably 60 percent safety, 30 percent match, 10 percent reach) just because many good medical schools won't consider an applicant without a good MCAT. I know that there are exceptions to this rule (hence the need for 10 percent reach), but it's a good rule of thumb.

Anyway, my advice is to just put some nice non-science extracurricular to get them interested, work hard on personal statements, and apply early.

Best of luck,
Dr. P.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Pepper said:
I'll be honest, your MCAT will probably hurt you. A good MCAT usually reinforces a good GPA; but an adequate but not amazing MCAT (30) can discredit a good, or in this case (4.0) exemplary GPA.
A 30 is still in the 85th percentile and the average of students who matriculate into med schools. 30 only sounds average on SDN.

OP- With a 4.0 and a 30 MCAT, you'll be getting in places. As for anyone with decent stats, have a few safeties, a few reaches and a few within your normal range.

notdeadyet said:
A 30 is still in the 85th percentile and the average of students who matriculate into med schools. 30 only sounds average on SDN.

OP- With a 4.0 and a 30 MCAT, you'll be getting in places. As for anyone with decent stats, have a few safeties, a few reaches and a few within your normal range.

Perhaps he is right and I have been a bit jaded from seeing all the astronomically high scores on SDN.

With that said, I will change my response and suggest you go mostly for match schools or 2nd-tier. But I stand by my decision that you should only apply to a handful of reach schools.

Anyway, best of luck.

Dr. Pepper said:
I agree that you should probably give some more information (ie: what you want to do) and also tell us more about your non-medical extracurriculars in case you have any.

I would apply across the board but put an emphasis on safety schools (probably 60 percent safety, 30 percent match, 10 percent reach) just because many good medical schools won't consider an applicant without a good MCAT. I know that there are exceptions to this rule (hence the need for 10 percent reach), but it's a good rule of thumb.

Anyway, my advice is to just put some nice non-science extracurricular to get them interested, work hard on personal statements, and apply early.

Best of luck,
Dr. P.

hmm..i always thought a 4.0 was a bada$$ gpa, not just exemplary. And how is it that a 31 will hurt him?? Speaking from strictly numbers point of view, 31 and 4.0 will get you into most lower/middle tier schools you apply to and will at least get you interviews to top schools. I know several students who had a 29 or 30 mcat but had ~3.9 gpa and got into top 10 schools. Your science ECs are good but you need other stuff that isnt science related. You should have no problem. good luck :luck:

Um, what?

Seriously. The OP should be in good shape. Just make sure that you don't lapse with the ECs and don't get cocky (applying to all top 10 schools).

Apply to a nice spread. A few reach, a few schools who's stats are within your range and a few schools that seem like a slam dunk (although there really are no such thing). You should be fine.

I would be very happy to have a 4.0, 31.

To the OP:

What was your major? An engineering 4.0 would really impress adcoms (from experience, I knew of a few that got 4.0 with their engineering degree and they got into top schools). If it was bio/chem/regular premed stuff, it's still good, but top schools do favor high GPAs from other top schools. You should apply to some reach schools, but fill your list with middle and bottom tiered schools. Med school is a crapshoot!

Just by looking at numbers, it sounds like you have it right....but I have seen that good numbers on the surface only gets you an interview. To be accepted, you need to show good ECs and a moderately tough courseload. I say this because a friend of mine who got good GPA (3.7-ish) at a top university and > 30 on the MCAT had a hard time getting into a nonstate school or any top school in part because her ECs were scattered and they noticed she had an extremely easy schedule---she took two premed sciene courses coupled with three 'music appreciation' courses.

Unfortunately, that tiny detail seemed to have hurt her a lot. She got interviews to Harvard, Washu, UCSF plus all her state schools, but no acceptances, even at her local state schools.

If you had a 'normal' courseload, that should be ok. Also, what is your science GPA? I ask because another friend who was on the high honors role barely squeaked by with his acceptance (from a total of one interview) because he said all his As were in the nonscience category. So these little details will hurt you if you are not careful.

If your couresload is 'normal' or 'difficult', and your science GPA is good, you have a good shot at some top schools. Your MCAT will hurt you at top schools, but your GPA will help with that. I agree that a 4.0 typically (at least at my college) will normally correspond to a higher MCAT score, but you stats will be fine at mid and lower tiered schools, you should have few problems.

just my 2 cents. unm is a great school and cheap! never underestimate the price!

chos said:
just my 2 cents. unm is a great school and cheap! never underestimate the price!

I second this about UNM,
I'd apply to some reach schools, mid tiers, and lower tier schools, but do yourself a favor and do everything you can to get into UNM. It is one of the best values in the country and as I'm sure you know is expanding its hospital and school/research buildings. When I started applying I didn't think I'd choose it over more "known" schools, but here I am turning down a handful of privates to return back home. 200-240k of debt is a big difference from the 60-80k that UNM will cost, it's a nice option that we are lucky to have in NM. And as I've been told many times, nobody will ever fault you for going to your state medical school. So go for some reach schools but try to give yourself the state school option as well.
Good luck

Dr. Pepper said:

Best of luck,
Dr. P.

Discredit a great GPA...wha...those are two separate entities. No school is going to look at his file and say, "even though he has a great gpa the fact that he got a 31 O on his MCAT makes his GPA pointless."
bogus!!!

chos said:

I definitely agree with this, and will be trying my best to get in here. I am a white male which I have heard may hurt me at UNM, but I don't want to start any Affirmative action wars (Please :) I just want to apply to other schools as well, to expand my options.

:cool: I want to thank everyone for the replies to my very first thread. I really appreciate all the feedback.

To answer some more questions that have been asked:

My science GPA is also a 4.0, and I am majoring in Bio with a minor in Chem. (Cookie Cutter Pre-Med)

As far as non-medical activity I would consider my volunteering at the shelter for homeless one, simply because at this stage we are just renovating the building (e.g. laying carpet, painting, installing shelves, etc...) I also have volunteered as a Sunday school teacher for the past year and a half, and I just switched to working with the youth of my church, and will be going on camping activities with them as an assistant leader for the group. This activity will also involve weekly volunteering for local activities.

I don't know if it matters, but I am excited about another opportunity I am going to have in May, and that is to go to Honduras with the Mountain Movers Medical Mission. I will be down there for a week volunteering my time, likely as a phlebotomist. I also will be taking down school supplies for the children of Honduras, from a school supply drive I organized through my church. Anyway, I think this will be very rewarding.

Lastly, I want to focus on patient care as a doc, and research really doesn't interest me. (Which is good, since I am not published at all :)

Thank you all again, and congrats to everyone who applied this past round and got in.

jeez, man. you've got some good ECs. plus, i can see from your name that you are hispanic (pedro?). if you are hispanic with those stats, then you've got a big jump on the competition. you should be fine.

you are in great shape, although top ten schools might be a little tricky to get in to since the MCAT and EC's don't look spetacular, but I'm sure you would get bites. Question definitely isn't if you will get in, but where.

You can't get in if you don't try. Second tier, you're comfortable. I'd say shoot for first tier, too (I make a distinction between first tier schools and those few that levitate above them). Better to try and not get in, than to automatically shortchange yourself and not try in the first place.

I would say the best way to go would be to really research schools and look for the programs that most interest you/fit you best. I don't want to sound overly sugary about it, but honestly, applying to med school should really be about where you could see yourself for 4 years and do well. Maybe a state school is right, maybe some big names are right - you need to decide! Your stats and activities look great and I'm sure you will have no problem getting in somewhere so I would say to aim high - I was really surprised come actual interview time how many schools I had interviews at that I originally thought were my "far reach" applications. Don't underestimate yourself! Shoot for what you want and things will work out. Good luck! :luck: