1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

consideration of college and GPA

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by trickybenny, Aug 6, 2006.

1. trickybenny

trickybenny Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm curious as to how much weight ADCOMs give to gpa if it is from a no-name college. I understand that if you are in a top tier university your GPA will be weighted more heavily. However, if you go to a no-name division 2 University EG (my university, Emporia State University) will they be weighted less heavily. I got a 3.8 gpa in college and got 19/20/20, but I went to my college b/c I basically got a free ride.
    Do they look more heavily at your DAT to legitimize your gpa?
    Because you went to a no-name university does it discredit your gpa?

Just curious. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. trickybenny

trickybenny Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    And I'm sweatin it b/c percentile wise my DAT was above average and competitive, but compared to the ballers from SDN w/ everyone almost posting above 20s I'm nothin but a scalliwag.

4. Notoriousjae

Notoriousjae DAT Rockstar
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

you sound like a pirate. Do you wear an eye patch? :D

5. egots

egots Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    http://www.dental.upenn.edu/academic/DMDprogram/dmd-facts.html

that link shows the ungrad schols for upenns class of 2009...to be honest i dont think it matters except for maybe a couple of places...im in the same situation as you...i go to a third tier school but when applying to colleges i got accepted into columbia, upen, and few other top schools which i dont even remember now...i chose to go to a school that basically pays me to go there i get a semester stipend and no cost for books or classes...the way i see it if you are good, which im sure you are, it will reflect in your personal essay and recommendation letters

6. INFNITE

INFNITE mmm....doughnut
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    if you have a good enough GPA (3.5 or above), it's probably fine for most schools, but if your GPA is average or below, which school you attended, your major as well as courses you took may play a more significant role in determining whether you're qualified for admission or not.

7. midwestboy

midwestboy Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    you'll be fine...dont let the SDNers get you worried...its only a handful of those scores among the 1000's of applicants