Considered in state after 1st year? (Med School)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jordan95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I overheard someone in a class say that "you're considered in state after attending a school for one year." I find this hard to believe, I mean, wouldn't the school want as much money as possible?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I believe that this can vary by state to state and within institutions. But I do know that there are schools where you can achieve in state status after one year.

Schools want money, but they also want to attract top students from other areas to come there.

Hi, I overheard someone in a class say that "you're considered in state after attending a school for one year." I find this hard to believe, I mean, wouldn't the school want as much money as possible?

Thanks,
It depends on what state you're in. Check your state's residency laws or, easier, ask your medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cool stuff. I'm going to give the schools a call tomorrow morning and see what they say.

Thanks,

You generally have to establish domicile in the state (get a driver's license, vote, vehicle registration, etc...). Merely living there isn't usually enough. But again, it depends on the state.

And schools that have differences between IS and OOS tuition are generally schools designed with training physicians to practice in that state. You want to encourage the students to become "official" residents, because a resident is much more likely to stick around.