considering a switch: rads to ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcrando

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice and insight. I matched into a radiology position for 2008 and am seriously considering a switch into to ophthalmology. Never had a chance to rotate through ophtho during med school so I never had any real exposure until this year, intern year (transitional). Tough spot to be in but thought I might as well be happy. Any one have any insight regarding changing pathways after match and how it will reflect on my application having matched and switched. Also, I know rads and ophtho are roughly eqaul when it comes to match stats (step 1 ect..) but seems to me ophtho is a harder match?? My step one is 234 and I was AOA with research and pubs. Not sure where this will put me in terms of matching to a solid program? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey...
Why are you interested in switching to ophtho. I was intially considering switching into Rads b/c better compensation...What city did you match in?

I'd be pretty hesitant to switch if I was matched in rad- my wife's cousin is a radiologist and she is very happy. She makes tons of money, enjoys her job, has a good life style, and has tons of vacation time (yes, I am a little jealous).

I like my job as well- however, the starting salary for ophthalmologist in a large city is 120-150k. After 2-3 years, you will make partner and your salary in a well run practice will be 300-500k. However, your life style will never be as good as rad- a well run practice means you see about 40 patients a day and perform at least a 1/2 dozen cases a week.

Before you decide to make a switch, you should see if you are able to do a rotation to see if ophtho is something you will enjoy.

I know people who have switched into and out of ophtho- they seem to do ok, but I do not know the details of their match process. You should be able to match into a solid program in ophto based on your stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with above post in one respect. Figure out if you really want to try and switch before you just throw your app out there. If ophtho is something you think you love(or will love) and radiology is something you would think of more as a job, then I would strongly consider a switch because things like compensation(mentioned in above posts) will not matter. Although optho's may not be as well compensated as rads, there are not too many homeless ophtho's out there. I love ophtho, and I'm extremely glad I am doing it, and I would never want to do radiology. But, that's not to say radiology is a bad field, just not for me. Figure out what you will be most happy doing and do that. If you can't decide, then it might be best to stick with rads for now(since you have already matched) and give it a go. If you hate it, you can always try and change later.
Good luck

I matched into a program in New England. I dont want to get too specific until I have made up my mind. Rads. like ophtho, can be a very small world. Are you still thinking of rads??

Rads does have a very nice lifestlye and pay scale. I am very aware that I may be walking away from a really good area of medicine. My decision to switch is more based on a growing attraction to ophtho, not a dislike for rads. My grandfather and two uncles are ophtho so I have a pretty good idea as to the lifestyle. I am planning to do a month elective soon and can hopefully figure all of this out.......I think like many of you have said, it all comes down to showing up at a job you like.

Rads does have a very nice lifestlye and pay scale. I am very aware that I may be walking away from a really good area of medicine. My decision to switch is more based on a growing attraction to ophtho, not a dislike for rads. My grandfather and two uncles are ophtho so I have a pretty good idea as to the lifestyle. I am planning to do a month elective soon and can hopefully figure all of this out.......I think like many of you have said, it all comes down to showing up at a job you like.

Although this is much later, I am in the same boat. Did you end up switching to Optho ? How did u like it? What ended up happening and what were the steps you took to make that switch.