MD Considering an SMP with a sGPA≈3.5?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nelidub

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to Medical schools this past cycle and was dropped off the waitlist from 2 allopathic state schools that aren't generally considered very competitive. My interviewers commented on the quality of my medical and volunteer experiences, so I'm fairly confident in that area of my application. The main reason I wasn't accepted is most likely my MCAT score, which I took early before the format changed, but I'm also worried it may be my GPA. My stats are:
cGPA: 3.59
sGPA: 3.53
MCAT: 27
I graduated a semester early with a B.S in Biology from Clemson. I am considering an SMP because I didn't feel like my major was very challenging and my GPA is pretty borderline. I also fear that I'll lose focus and access to academic recommendations since I've been out of school so long. I've already committed to Tulane's Pharmacology SMP, but I'm wondering if my gap year would be better spent getting a job at a local clinic and studying for the MCAT on the side. I'm also worried that the course load will take away from my MCAT prep since the program starts a month before my test date this summer. Does anybody have advice for someone considering an SMP with around 3.5 GPA?

Members don't see this ad.