Considering becoming an RRT to further PCE/improve my GPA for PA school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurame1121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm returning to school in a few weeks to finish up/retake some credits to apply to PA school. Currently my cGPA is around 3.4 and my sGPA is around 3.2 and I've been out of school about five years. In the time since graduation I've obtained roughly 4,000 hours of PCE as a primary care medical assistant and as an oral surgery assistant (I know this could be iffy) and about 1500 hours of HCE through ancillary healthcare jobs (transporting, monitor technician, etc.,). Currently, I work a 9-5 in an office because, frankly, lower level healthcare jobs can be a little tough to live on financially.

In my time in the hospital, I've spent a lot of time working alongside respiratory therapists and always thought it was an interesting position. Recently, I've started considering becoming an RRT with the long term goal of PA school. I'm not necessarily in a rush to go to PA school as I am still relatively young and think spending a few years in a clinical position of responsibility would be useful experience wise if I'm to be a provider one day. Not to mention, the two years of additional science classes could help bring my GPA up a bit. Beyond this, respiratory therapy seems like a job I'd be happy to have if, potentially, I end up not applying to PA school for a long time.

The alternative here is simply retaking and/or finishing my pre reqs and applying to PA school with what I've got. This would save time and money ultimately, but at the risk of being a weaker applicant.

Any thoughts or opinions on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

**edit ** Holy crap "A" RRT. I swear I can grammar.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a former RRT to PA-C I would highly recommend this step in your career. You will not regret it. You will look back and reflect on all the things you learned in RRT school plus also the patient care experience you will gain will help you. Go do it! Good luck!

As a former RRT to PA-C I would highly recommend this step in your career. You will not regret it. You will look back and reflect on all the things you learned in RRT school plus also the patient care experience you will gain will help you. Go do it! Good luck!
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Reactions: 1 user