Considering buying an IPad for step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I hesitated to spend the money in the past but now it seems inevitable. Considering we do not get a block of time to study like we did for step I, I am contemplating buying an ipad. I am just wondering which version to get just to do qbanks and read things. Can you guys recommend something? Also, what qbanks worked best for this type of study?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get UWorld for the iPhone/iPad. You guys don't get vacation time you can take for Step 2?

Yes, we do. I plan to take a couple of weeks off. But I need to do questions for longer than that. For step I I had a lot more time than that.

USMLEWorld has a decent app for both iPhone an iPad - only difference is with some of the analysis options for performance results.

Most of the good reference materials for Step 2 are available on Kindle (so you can use the kindle app on the iPhone or iPad, although some tables won't show up well on the phone).

Not sure I'd buy the new one, but it would be worth it to buy a reduced price iPad 2.

I vote for the new iPad, the higher resolution makes it perfect for text based activities such as reading review books and doing questions.

Also, Uworld seems to slowly be improving the analysis screen on the iPad app, so hopefully it will catch up with the PC soon.

I vote for the new iPad, the higher resolution makes it perfect for text based activities such as reading review books and doing questions.

Also, Uworld seems to slowly be improving the analysis screen on the iPad app, so hopefully it will catch up with the PC soon.

The higher resolution comes at a price - even with a bigger battery, it doesn't last as long as the iPad 2. Feels a bit slower as well. The resolution doesn't help for reading texts, especially considering most Kindle books have low resolution versions of their images.

If you're a pathology or radiology resident, the new iPad makes sense for viewing high resolution images. If you'll be in med school for another 2+ years, I'd save the money.

The higher resolution comes at a price - even with a bigger battery, it doesn't last as long as the iPad 2. Feels a bit slower as well. The resolution doesn't help for reading texts, especially considering most Kindle books have low resolution versions of their images.

If you're a pathology or radiology resident, the new iPad makes sense for viewing high resolution images. If you'll be in med school for another 2+ years, I'd save the money.

The battery life is a little worse, but I still regularly get over 10 hours of video, surfing, and reading.

Also, it's not the images that I find the resolution helpful for its the text itself. Perhaps the iPhones retina display has ruined me, but I just had a terrible time reading on the iPad 2 because the text always seemed blurry. However if you don't have a new iPhone, and don't pay attention to the new iPad, I could see being happy with an iPad 2. Just my opinion.

As an aside, the LTE is amazing on the new iPad as well. I regularly get 30 mbps down and 10 up!

Last edited:
I am confused as to how an ipad becomes necessary for this - just admit you really want an ipad :laugh: