Considering Dentistry, and have a LOT of questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSPV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Here's a little background information on me.

I am an African American woman. My current GPA is 3.60 taking in ALL the classes I've taken. I've been a full time student until this semester. I am part time taking Microbiology and Nutrition only this semester.

Right now, I am focused on getting into this Dental Hygiene program here at this community college. I plan on graduating with Honor.

Then, I plan on getting a BS in Dental Hygiene and if it's possible, I want to get it with honor.

Now, here's where Dentistry comes in.

I've had people, including my own dentist and the dentist office I observed at, tell me I should try to become a Dentist

So I started looking around and doing a bit of research. It looks like a good field for me.

So now, here's the questions:

1. When it comes to out of state applicants, is Dentist school similar to Vet school? In other words, do Dentist schools only allow a certain number of out of state students?

2. General question here. If I get an apartment in TN, get a BS in TN, will I still be considered an out of state applicant to their Dentist school?

3. If I get a BS in Dental Hygiene, how does that look on my application? Or would it be better if I got a BS in Biology?

4. How competitive is Dentist School? Is it as competitive as vet school?

5. What do I need to start doing to get ready while I am getting these degrees in Dental Hygiene?

That's all I have for now.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Did I post this thread in the wrong section?

You keep comparing it to vet schools, are you considering becoming a vet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Here's a little background information on me.

I am an African American woman. My current GPA is 3.60 taking in ALL the classes I've taken. I've been a full time student until this semester. I am part time taking Microbiology and Nutrition only this semester.

Right now, I am focused on getting into this Dental Hygiene program here at this community college. I plan on graduating with Honor.

Then, I plan on getting a BS in Dental Hygiene and if it's possible, I want to get it with honor.

Now, here's where Dentistry comes in.

I've had people, including my own dentist and the dentist office I observed at, tell me I should try to become a Dentist

So I started looking around and doing a bit of research. It looks like a good field for me.

So now, here's the questions:

1. When it comes to out of state applicants, is Dentist school similar to Vet school? In other words, do Dentist schools only allow a certain number of out of state students?

2. General question here. If I get an apartment in TN, get a BS in TN, will I still be considered an out of state applicant to their Dentist school?

3. If I get a BS in Dental Hygiene, how does that look on my application? Or would it be better if I got a BS in Biology?

4. How competitive is Dentist School? Is it as competitive as vet school?

5. What do I need to start doing to get ready while I am getting these degrees in Dental Hygiene?

That's all I have for now.

Thank you.

1. That is true. However, this also depends on which school you apply to.
2. I believe that, I may be wrong, but in order to be considered a resident you have to have lived in the state for amount of time. Also this criteria is different amongst different schools.
3. It doesn't matter if you graduate as a Literature major, as long as you fulfill the prerequisite requirements for the dental schools, you have a shot at admissions into any dental school.
4. Very competitive. Because I have never considered Vet school, I cannot answer this question, but I know of someone who went to Columbia University for dental school and he told me some of the classes are taken concurrently with MEDICAL STUDENTS. Need I say more?
5. Research (MUST), volunteering, shadowing (MUST), anything that can make you stand out amongst other applicants. Also, continue doing well in your classes (seems like you're doing just that but keep it up :]) and prepare for your DAT.

Best of luck :]

You keep comparing it to vet schools, are you considering becoming a vet?

Not anymore, but at one point I did want to become a vet.

Thank you guys for answering my questions! :)

It seems that you are not really sure of what you want to do in life. If you want to be a dentist don't waste your time and money to go Dental Hygiene school. (shadowing your dentist is enough experience), Dental hygiene is #1 profession now days, and its not easy to get in. Dentistry is even harder than ever with so many competitive applicants. :(..If you decide to go for Hygiene school, my advice to you is just get an associate degree in dental hygiene ( BS in dental hygiene don't make more $$), then you can transfer to a 4year college and get a BS in some sciences including taking all your pre-requisites for dental school.. But to tell you the true, its better to get a BS in science and go to Dental school.. To go for Dental hygiene usually has at least two years of requirement before you get into the program. you will be wasting too much time before applying to dental school!! Oh, yea i am a dental hygienist trying to get into dental school, seems impossible due to my low, low DAT scores but a least i already have a Great profession if i don't get in. Good luck!

It seems that you are not really sure of what you want to do in life. If you want to be a dentist don't waste your time and money to go Dental Hygiene school. (shadowing your dentist is enough experience), Dental hygiene is #1 profession now days, and its not easy to get in. Dentistry is even harder than ever with so many competitive applicants. :(..If you decide to go for Hygiene school, my advice to you is just get an associate degree in dental hygiene ( BS in dental hygiene don't make more $$), then you can transfer to a 4year college and get a BS in some sciences including taking all your pre-requisites for dental school.. But to tell you the true, its better to get a BS in science and go to Dental school.. To go for Dental hygiene usually has at least two years of requirement before you get into the program. you will be wasting too much time before applying to dental school!! Oh, yea i am a dental hygienist trying to get into dental school, seems impossible due to my low, low DAT scores but a least i already have a Great profession if i don't get in. Good luck!

Thanks. :)

I have another question:

What should I be doing for community or volunteer service?

Dentistry is an awesome career. I am saying this from my pre-dental experience but every dentist I meet seems to love their job. At the end of the day though, what really matters is that you love what you do and not what other people think of it. If you like dental hygine more than likely you will like dentistry too. As a dentist you will have good hours, great income (more than hygine), and hopefully satisfaction from healing your patients and seeing the results of your work instantly (usually not the case in medicine). However, after dental school you will have a large debt (I mean a lot of people do) and you also have to take into account the time it takes to become a dentist.

Most schools require a Bachelors in whatever you want to pursue. I've heard of people that get in without a bachelors but they have ridiculous credentials. So if you get a bachelors in hygine that can only help you. For your questions about in state residency...I think some states will make you pay out of state even if you have an appartment for just a few years. I know someone who did undergraduate at a school and lived there for the whole time in her own appartment but still had to pay out of state at the dental school. I really don't know much about this so my answer is not very reliable. Try to volunteer at a clinic or join an honor society and run for executive board, do research. Someone above said research is a MUST, and that is absolutely not true. Obviously it will help you a lottttttttt but it's not absolutely required for admission. There are so many things you can do to improve/build up your application. Oh btw, dental school requires an entrance exam (DAT).