Considering dropping out and pursuing nursing...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarvM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm an M1 in my 3rd week, and quite frankly, I'm now feeling like I'm not cut out mentally to become a doc. The only time I haven't had my nose in a book or laptop reviewing notes have been the 1-2 hours a day I spend at the gym to keep myself sane, yet I still feel incredibly behind and like it takes me longer to catch onto concepts. I feel very unhappy with my life right now and I don't feel like I can keep this up for another 7 semesters, and further into residency if I even make it through this semester.

For some background, I took a year off between graduating (3.84GPA, MCAT 27, then 30) so I'm really rusty at stuff that is probably basic to most of my peers. That, and I've started to realize that I want more of an ongoing relationship with my patients rather than - go in, take a history for 10 minutes, form my diagnosis, treatment, plan, and on to the next patient.

All that being said, I've considered going into nursing if I don't pass this semester. I'm not doing it because it's the "easier" path, but rather I feel I would enjoy my career more with the better work-life balance and longer patient relationships. Do any of you know if it would be difficult to get into an accelerated BSN program as a med school dropout? Or do any of you know of folks who dropped out/got kicked out, and pursued a different career path? I've only got a BS in Molecular Biology so I can't really get a decent-paying job from that to pay off my loans unfortunately...I just don't want to chance making it all the way through second year, only to fail my Step 1 and be in 4x the amount of debt I'm currently in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My friend, don't rush into making a decision you may regret. Your first paragraph is basically what everyone feels as a medical student, particularly in the beginning (though, as an MS2 I still feel that way). If a bunch of people in your class are acting like everything is totally okay every day, all day, then it's probably just a poker face mentality. The thing about medicine is that you will always be behind in learning; there's always something new to learn, whether it be a lecture as a student or a new drug as a practicing physician. They call it lifelong learning for a reason.

I think that there are some fields that lend themselves to more patient contact, and certain environments that may do the same. I will leave it to the more experienced to resolve that.

My opinion is to keep doing your best (nothing more, nothing less) and see how things turn out in the coming months. You can drop out any day; since you already paid your tuition you might as well see what happens this year. As maniacal as it sounds, I have oddly come to love being behind; it means that there's always something ahead to explore.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My friend, don't rush into making a decision you may regret. Your first paragraph is basically what everyone feels as a medical student, particularly in the beginning (though, as an MS2 I still feel that way). If a bunch of people in your class are acting like everything is totally okay every day, all day, then it's probably just a poker face mentality. The thing about medicine is that you will always be behind in learning; there's always something new to learn, whether it be a lecture as a student or a new drug as a practicing physician. They call it lifelong learning for a reason.

I think that there are some fields that lend themselves to more patient contact, and certain environments that may do the same. I will leave it to the more experienced to resolve that.

My opinion is to keep doing your best (nothing more, nothing less) and see how things turn out in the coming months. You can drop out any day; since you already paid your tuition you might as well see what happens this year. As maniacal as it sounds, I have oddly come to love being behind; it means that there's always something ahead to explore.

Thanks for the kind words. Definitely not a rush decision I plan on making, more so a back-up. I have that exact mentality - I've already ponied up tuition for this semester so I might as well give it my all, I just wanted to plan my back-up in case things don't go so swell, and was curious on the prospects of it.

Not sure how nursing is saturated when every hospital I've been at seems to be ridiculously understaffed except the va

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone,

So I'm an M1 in my 3rd week, and quite frankly, I'm now feeling like I'm not cut out mentally to become a doc. The only time I haven't had my nose in a book or laptop reviewing notes have been the 1-2 hours a day I spend at the gym to keep myself sane, yet I still feel incredibly behind and like it takes me longer to catch onto concepts. I feel very unhappy with my life right now and I don't feel like I can keep this up for another 7 semesters, and further into residency if I even make it through this semester.

For some background, I took a year off between graduating (3.84GPA, MCAT 27, then 30) so I'm really rusty at stuff that is probably basic to most of my peers. That, and I've started to realize that I want more of an ongoing relationship with my patients rather than - go in, take a history for 10 minutes, form my diagnosis, treatment, plan, and on to the next patient.

All that being said, I've considered going into nursing if I don't pass this semester. I'm not doing it because it's the "easier" path, but rather I feel I would enjoy my career more with the better work-life balance and longer patient relationships. Do any of you know if it would be difficult to get into an accelerated BSN program as a med school dropout? Or do any of you know of folks who dropped out/got kicked out, and pursued a different career path? I've only got a BS in Molecular Biology so I can't really get a decent-paying job from that to pay off my loans unfortunately...I just don't want to chance making it all the way through second year, only to fail my Step 1 and be in 4x the amount of debt I'm currently in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Do you have a study group? I actually hate study groups and do better solo, but I've seen several other students struggle and then find the right group and take off. Sometimes they help with study efficiency but I think it's more just the solidarity and realizing you're not alone that helps with getting the right mentality.

If you feel like it takes you too long to latch onto concepts, my first reaction is that you're probably getting lost in the details. Focus on the big picture, try to summarize every slide in a few words. As you get closer to the exam memorize the necessary minutiae. Every school is different but I've never had an exam where I did poorly because I didn't spend enough time memorizing (obviously some exceptions like Anatomy).

Take solace in knowing pretty much all of us are in the books all day and always feel behind. Not enough hours in a day to learn every detail, so there's always something you'll feel like you're "missing." Also try to force yourself to stop studying at least an hour before you go to sleep, and just turn your brain off (watch some mindless TV, read a fun book, etc.). I hope this goes without saying but please don't try to do med school on less than 7 hours of sleep. Even if you feel like you can function on less, chronic sleep deprivation will just lead to burnout.

At least stick out the semester. If you still hate it by Christmas then consider some alternatives, but for now just pretend like you have no other options.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure how nursing is saturated when every hospital I've been at seems to be ridiculously understaffed except the va

There's SDN then there's the real world......

Reactions: 1 users
The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. There are nurses who love their jobs, and then there are those who are miserable.

Maybe med school really isn't something you want to push through. Maybe being a physician isn't what you'll enjoy most. But there are physicians who spend a lot of time with their patients (family med, psych) - those who spend more time may make less money but to them it's worth it to see fewer patients because of the relationship.

Don't quit prematurely. Quitting isn't a decision you can come back from.

To be fair, a lot of that understaffing is by design.

Hi everyone,

So I'm an M1 in my 3rd week, and quite frankly, I'm now feeling like I'm not cut out mentally to become a doc.

Dear OP, I felt (feel) the same way after getting my Step I score back. Best of luck of all your endeavors in life.

Dear OP, I felt (feel) the same way after getting my Step I score back.
stahp-sign-stop-roadsign-red-1350408651u.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look if you fail your first batch of exams , then you're not cut out for this. Nursing is a whole lot less stressful IMHO since when a patient goes south you know you already did your best. As a doctor you are left wondering if you should have done more or less or gotten a hold of new treatment protocols. Most of the time you shrug that off but like lipofuscin it builds up and kills you.

Look if you fail your first batch of exams , then you're not cut out for this. Nursing is a whole lot less stressful IMHO since when a patient goes south you know you already did your best. As a doctor you are left wondering if you should have done more or less or gotten a hold of new treatment protocols. Most of the time you shrug that off but like lipofuscin it builds up and kills you.

Ignore this, OP. The first set of exams helps you know how you're doing... respond to any deficiencies, improve in time for the next batch, repeat. You are not your grades.

Reactions: 7 users
Nursing after medical school is a risk factor for suicide.

Reactions: 1 user
If you drop out, I can see you coveting the doctor salary that other people are enjoying and you decided to forego. You may also end up bitter while constantly think to yourself about how stupid all the doctors are and you could have done medical school, you just chose not to.

You can always quit after the semester of things don't turn out. But pulling the plug after 3 weeks when you're feeling exactly like 80% of your classmates are; overwhelmed, stressed and impossible is a poor choice. You aren't viewing nursing in the right light either; the idea that you'll have poor pt relationships as a Dr and better ones as a RN just isn't true

Fwiw I too questioned my choice and my place in medical school for the first 6 weeks, which were the hardest weeks by far. First semester sucks in general.

See how you feel after the end of the semester. I just finished my first month and I'm just getting the hang of things. I was out of school for 3 years! I did not know how to study for the first month and made so many mistakes, but it's getting so much better now! You'll find your rhythm! Don't give up just yet (after 3 weeks). The stuff you get to learn gets a lot more interesting and you'll learn how to time manage better.

With that said, some people are not cut out to be doctors and they will be better off doing something else if this makes them miserable. Don't do something that will make you miserable for the rest of your life! HOWEVER, med school is not the same thing as being a doctor! You have to get through med school, sure, but it's different once you start rotations (just 2 years away!) and get more involved in the clinical side of medicine. If you LOVE that part, then don't give up yet! Just know that you have to get through the next 2 years so you can do something that you love for the rest of your life.

1) So to your school's counseling center, STAT
2) Go to your school's learning or education center, STAT.

Most medical students have trouble int he first 1/3rd of their very first semester. You, like they, are learning that what work in college won't work now, simply because of the deluge of material we throw at you.

You worked very hard to get to where you are right no. You're going to have to work very hard to be a doctor...ie, get tot he point of dealing with your patients like you describe below.

You're not afraid of more hard work, are you?

Go read my post on 'guide to med student success"

Hi everyone,

Reactions: 3 users
Fantasizing about quitting, telling yourself you'll quit after first semester, etc. are all defense mechanisms to blow off some steam. Enjoy them, but don't go completely over to the dark side. You're overwhelmed, understandably so, but don't make an emotional decision that will impact the rest of your life (and your family's). As the people you love age, go to college, etc. you'll be glad that you're better able to take care of them. I promise it'll be worth it.

No. This is FAR from being even remotely accurate.
it IS accurate in terms of places you would WANT to practice lol. I mean...if you don't mind being rural then sure...not enough nurses.

Ignore this, OP. The first set of exams helps you know how you're doing... respond to any deficiencies, improve in time for the next batch, repeat. You are not your grades.
As someone who failed multiple exams MS1, but still managed to get to 4th year, I fully agree.

I know the feeling OP, I always felt like passing was a struggle and I still do. I still have many of the same thoughts you're having, but if you really want this, I think you're absolutely capable.

OP, M1 here as well.

I feel there is a difference wanting to pursue medicine and being able to pursue medicine. Every day I wake up more tired than the next, and think "Well, I might fail out next test" but then I realize that everyone's in the same boat, and this isn't coming easy to anyone (read: most people).

After the adrenaline high of each exam I sit down to reflect and think "How cool is it that I get to learn something that less than 0.005% of the United States gets to learn." Then I realize, "Wow, I actually know some cool stuff."

I guess my point is, do you want to go into medicine? Give it some time. No matter how much I bitch about relevance of certain topics in a clinical setting to my classmates, I love each and every moment of it deep down. That's how I know that I want to do this.

Am I capable of doing it? Come back in 4 years... and I'll let you know.

Hi everyone,

I would organize to meet with your SoM's faculty to discuss this type of thing before you act on it. Your thoughts are called the normal doubts of adjusting to something different.

Thank you everyone for your kind words! I should have mentioned in my post - I don't intend to drop out YET, the earliest would be at the end of 1st semester if I feel my grades aren't cutting it. I do feel incredibly humbled to be able to learn some of the cool things I already have, and I intend on doing my damnedest (especially after your guys' motivation) to make it through, and if I fall flat on my face come December, then so be it - at least then I won't have any regrets looking back.

I just wanted to pick the brains of people to see how viable applying to an accelerated nursing program would be as a medical school dropout/failout IF it comes to that. Just as a back-up, not as my main plan.

You worked your ass off to get in and you wanna quit?

Come on fam. Some pour soul out there doesn't have a med school seat because YOU took it from them. Why?

Because your ass deserved it!

Stop wondering what if and bust your ass.