MD Considering dropping out of medical school as an MS1. Looking for advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, I'm a third-year that also started a software business. I hope I can help give some perspective. I strongly disliked the first two years of medical school. I also constantly thought about dropping out. I felt unable to force myself to study, while ironically getting A's in all of my medical school classes. I was also convinced medicine was not for me. I am now in my third-year and love every minute of it. The only thing I dislike is the lack of free time to work on my interests outside of medicine, which are many. However, I am honestly sad to leave the hospital each day, because of how much I enjoy my time there.

This year, I have come to realize that medicine was the right choice for me; It was sitting at a desk studying 12 hours a day that did not fit me. The first two years of medical school are nothing like the rest of your medical career. If you drop out now, you will have dropped out without experiencing what a potential career in medicine will really look like. My business has not been as successful as it could have been thanks to the time I spend in school, but in the moments I get to deliver a baby, or sew someone up after a successful surgery, I know it is worth it. Other business owners I talk to often tell me how envious they are of the things I get to do every day in the hospital. The life of an entrepreneur isn't as exciting or glamorous as many imagine, and the grass always appears greener on the other side.

Try studying less, procrastinating more, not feeling guilty when you work on your business. Medicine is a long road and you have to find a way to do the things you enjoy now, instead of pushing them off in return for a better grade or a better step score. Do that long enough and you're bound to become bitter. Step 1 is now pass-fail, and many schools are beginning to make years 3&4 pass-fail as well. I'd recommend using that slack to work on your business, call your family, and work on medicine. Feel free to message me, happy to discuss further.
Stop reading once I got there.

Members don't see this ad.