Considering gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilenceisLouder

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I'm a current Biology B.S Junior, and was debating on whether or not to take a gap year.

Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.5
Research: Worked 564 hours as a biology research assistant doing an independent project
Shadowing: shadowed doctors during my senior year of high school for 135 hours
Volunteering: Habitat for Humanity: 25 hours; Elementary School volunteer: 20 hours
Clinical: None (Will be volunteering at a hospice care center starting January ~5 hours/week)
Extracurriculars:
Pre-Medical Fraternity
Honors Council --Vice President
Figure Skating Club
Honors College Mentor
Diversity in Action --President

I had a rough freshman year in terms of grades (2 C+s) but had an upward trend, and are now only receiving As with occasional B+ in difficult classes (Ochem). However, I feel as though my cumulative and science GPA could be much higher if I waited till after I graduated. Also, I feel as though I do not have enough volunteering and clinical volunteering hours as of now. In addition, the only shadowing hours I have now are from high school senior year.

I am planning on taking the MCAT in May, and submitting my application in June. With my hardest semester coming this spring (biochem, physics 2, + others), I am afraid I will not have enough time to study for the MCAT, balance classes, and get more volunteering/clinical/shadowing hours. If I were to take a gap year though, I could focus on getting more of those hours.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's very common to take a year or even a couple of years before starting med school. The median age is 24 and is creeping up every year. It's not a race.

Since you still have to take your MCAT, it may be a good idea to finish off college strong, find a relevant job (clinical, research, etc) and just kill your MCAT. Better to do that than rush everything and either screw up your last semester or MCAT score. Also having that bit of time outside of a college/academic environment may help when you're in med school wondering what the real world is like.

Good luck!

Do it. I did it. I loved it. Best decision I could have made. I would not be where I am now without my gap year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

So I'm a current Biology B.S Junior, and was debating on whether or not to take a gap year.

Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.5
Research: Worked 564 hours as a biology research assistant doing an independent project
Shadowing: shadowed doctors during my senior year of high school for 135 hours
Volunteering: Habitat for Humanity: 25 hours; Elementary School volunteer: 20 hours
Clinical: None (Will be volunteering at a hospice care center starting January ~5 hours/week)
Extracurriculars:
Pre-Medical Fraternity
Honors Council --Vice President
Figure Skating Club
Honors College Mentor
Diversity in Action --President

I had a rough freshman year in terms of grades (2 C+s) but had an upward trend, and are now only receiving As with occasional B+ in difficult classes (Ochem). However, I feel as though my cumulative and science GPA could be much higher if I waited till after I graduated. Also, I feel as though I do not have enough volunteering and clinical volunteering hours as of now. In addition, the only shadowing hours I have now are from high school senior year.

I am planning on taking the MCAT in May, and submitting my application in June. With my hardest semester coming this spring (biochem, physics 2, + others), I am afraid I will not have enough time to study for the MCAT, balance classes, and get more volunteering/clinical/shadowing hours. If I were to take a gap year though, I could focus on getting more of those hours.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.
All your reasons for delaying your application by a year are good ones. Take the gap year.

Take it
I am taking a gap year too
You not only have a chance to apply with better grades, more ECs, etc, but you also have more time to dedicate to killing the MCAT.
Plus, it is nice to have some time to enjoy life a little bit before applying.
The other thing though is applying is expensive... So yeah more time to save!