Considering Giving Up Texas Residency…How Much Will This Hurt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncfc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-trad applicant here...currently a TX resident. Have worked in industry for seven years and am applying for class of 2017.

Major/School: Mechanical Engineering from Duke (both GPA and sGPA are 3.9+, plenty of academic honors)
MCAT: 32Q (11/10/11)
Clinical Experience: 150 hours at hospital, 20+ hours shadowing
Other Volunteering: 300+ hours over the past five years while I was working full-time (before I considered change to medical career)
Did research in college, but not related to medicine, no pubs

For personal reasons, I may have to move out of state and work elsewhere, thus giving up my TX residency. As a resident of TX for the past 30 years, I have strong ties here and would prefer to stay here. With my stats, how much does it hurt going from IS to OOS? What other schools should I target as an OOS applicant given my stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Non-trad applicant here...currently a TX resident. Have worked in industry for seven years and am applying for class of 2017.

Major/School: Mechanical Engineering from Duke (both GPA and sGPA are 3.9+, plenty of academic honors)
Other Volunteering: 300+ hours over the past five years while I was working full-time (before I considered change to medical career)

For personal reasons, I may have to move out of state and work elsewhere, thus giving up my TX residency. As a resident of TX for the past 30 years, I have strong ties here and would prefer to stay here.
1) With my stats, how much does it hurt going from IS to OOS?
2) What other schools should I target as an OOS applicant given my stats?
1) It depends on which state you plan to reside in, how selective their med schools are, and whether they will consider you in-state at the time you need to pay tuition (were cost an issue).

2) With a 3.9/32, some OOS schools that fit your stats that you might research further to see if they fit you:

Sinai, SLU,
Emory, UCentral Florida, Ohio State, Iowa, BU, UMinn,
Rochester, MCW, Miami, Einstein, SUNY Downstate, UMaryland, Loma Linda (requires lifestyle contact), Georgetown, UConn, Loyola, Stony Brook,
UKentucky, UWisc, Rush, Tufts, Cincinnati, Jefferson, Keck, Virginia Tech (newer, research focus), Temple, Albany, GWU.

Your shadowing is on the sparse side, BTW, and I'd suggest you might want to increase the hours. About 50 is the average listed and it's good to include a primary care doc.

If med school is your goal, I don't think this is wise. Texas is one of the best states in which to be a premed, due to the heavy in-state advantage and number of schools. Whatever you do, at least tell me you're not planning on moving to a state like California.

Members don't see this ad :)
If med school is your goal, I don't think this is wise. Texas is one of the best states in which to be a premed, due to the heavy in-state advantage and number of schools. Whatever you do, at least tell me you're not planning on moving to a state like California.
What is problem with California? All docts try to ed up here.

What is problem with California? All docts try to ed up here.

Exactly. competition for cali schools is fierce. Decent stats for getting in to a typical school won't fly in california unless you've done something pretty awesome. Now, a 3.9 GPA in Engineering is impressive. If OP could get that MCAT a bit higher, then I'd say you're in good shape stats-wise for cali IS. No idea how strong other stuff is just looking at raw hours. Granted a 32 is hardly terrible. It's the average for UC Davis, but the other cali state schools have higher average MCAT scores. So it's still certainly possible, but definitely rougher than a lot of other states, especially Texas.

After doing MD all doc's wants to come here. They make different amount and no only that UCLA have diffderent opportunity for doing lot of different things. One of our friend is MD pathology and he is incharge of clinical lab. they get lot of stock close to half million and few hours so enjoy family life with kids too and money too.

For personal reasons, I may have to move out of state and work elsewhere, thus giving up my TX residency. As a resident of TX for the past 30 years, I have strong ties here and would prefer to stay here. With my stats, how much does it hurt going from IS to OOS? What other schools should I target as an OOS applicant given my stats?

Going through the application cycle, if there is one thing that I am thankful for, it is my Texas residency. If it wasn't for my texas residency I would not have been getting acceptances at some of the most amazing schools. Let me give you some perspective. Texas state schools are required BY LAW to admit 90% of in-state students. Baylor is required to admit 70% in-state students by law. I had similar stats to yours (31R and 3.95 gpa), and I got accepted into UTH and UTSW. Plus, you need to put into perspective how cheap texas schools are compared to other schools!!! If you go in to a texas school as a texas resident, you're only paying around 16K for tuition. So whereever this job of yours takes you, there will be an extra cost of atleast 50K associated with it just because you won't be an in-state student and will pay out of state fee (all other schools in america have sky high tuitions too anyway). And this doesn't even account for the fact that your chances of getting admitted will be worsened SIGNIFICANTLY. Like I said, if it wasn't for my texas residency, I would not have been blessed enough to be enrolling in UTSW this year. So, really really really really think about it. If you want to be a doctor, and you're only 1 year away from enrolling, is this when you want to injure your chances of getting into a really good school? All texas schools are amazing (and there are 8 medical schools in the state!). So honestly, if I were you, I would figure out a way to stay a texas resident.