Considering med school, possible interest in academic medicine and psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scorkel95

Reaction score
27 year old female, career-changer
ORM
CA resident

Stats:
overall gpa (ug + post-bacc) : 3.5
sgpa (ug + post-bacc): 3.3
post-bacc gpa: 3.5
post-bacc sgpa: 3.4
top 10 public undergrad w/ non STEM major - cgpa 3.4, sgpa: 3.25
haven't taken MCAT yet, practice MCAT score is not stellar: 500 - equivalent of 26 on old mcat.
no pubs

Activities:
200+ hours as medical scribe / mental health advocate (FM, IM, peds, obgyn)
50+ hours non-health care related volunteering
physician shadowing (100+ hours in variety of specialities)
190+ hours as volunteer RA in lab focusing on behavioral modification interventions

1. Are stats too low for US MD programs?
2. Currently receiving tx for ongoing MDD, is it realistic to pursue a career in medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

n interventions

2. Currently receiving tx for ongoing MDD, is it realistic to pursue a career in medicine?

1. Yes. MCAT of 26 will not get you in, esp. with GPA 3.3/3.5 I personally think it'll be a waste of your time but this question is better asked on pre-med. Perhaps DO/offshore.
2. That in and of itself is not a problem, depends a lot on severity, treatment response, etc. MDD tends to make things harder, but without having more information one cannot make a blanket statement.

I agree with moving this thread / asking it in the pre-med forum. Really has nothing to do with psych residencies. The people in that forum deal with med school admissions and would easily know this answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s really not possible to help you without the MCAT score. But your GPAs are low for MD but okay for DO. Your ECs, especially nonclinical service to the unserved/underserved people in your community are low. You need more than 50 hours. Unfortunately, for application purposes, you are from an unlucky state. Once you get your MCAT score come back and people will help you develop a focused list to apply to. In the meantime, buy the MSAR and start developing your own list based on your GPAs. . You might also want to investigate DO programs and what the differences are from MD. Good luck in the MCAT.

I suggest posting a separate thread on coping with depression while pursuing a career in medicine.

I'm sure others here have experienced it or known others who have.

How much time have you spent preparing for your MCAT?

There's a MCAT Discussion forum on here many have shared successful strategies and tips on what materials to use to prepare. I gather from them that the Berkeley Review is the best set of prep materials for the MCAT hard science topics in that it's the most detailed.

1. Yes. MCAT of 26 will not get you in, esp. with GPA 3.3/3.5 I personally think it'll be a waste of your time but this question is better asked on pre-med. Perhaps DO/offshore.
2. That in and of itself is not a problem, depends a lot on severity, treatment response, etc. MDD tends to make things harder, but without having more information one cannot make a blanket statement.
I would not advise applying offshore. But other than that, good advice

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Thank you so much all for the advice! I'll look into DO programs as well.

@MyOdyssey , I just started preparing for the MCAT, ~ 3 weeks in.

I plan to take the MCAT in April 2019 and apply June 2019.

I feel like I"m so close and yet so far. The pre-req classes I have left are:
1. 2 quarters of physics (E/M + fluids/optics/thermo/modern)
2. Bio 2 Lab (plant, ecology, evolution)
3. Ochem 1 Lab + Ochem 2 Lab
4. Biochem
Is it too rushed to finish all those courses and try and apply June 2019? I'm currently working full time and also trying to switch to a new job.

Would it be advisable to take Ochem 1 lab and Ochem 2 Lab together. I've heard that Ochem 1 + 2 are more heavily tested than plant/ecology/evolution? Do I absolutely need to have Ochem 2 lab and biochem completed before the MCAT?

Thank you so much all for the advice! I'll look into DO programs as well.

@MyOdyssey , I just started preparing for the MCAT, ~ 3 weeks in.

I plan to take the MCAT in April 2019 and apply June 2019.

I feel like I"m so close and yet so far. The pre-req classes I have left are:
1. 2 quarters of physics (E/M + fluids/optics/thermo/modern)
2. Bio 2 Lab (plant, ecology, evolution)
3. Ochem 1 Lab + Ochem 2 Lab
4. Biochem
Is it too rushed to finish all those courses and try and apply June 2019? I'm currently working full time and also trying to switch to a new job.

Would it be advisable to take Ochem 1 lab and Ochem 2 Lab together. I've heard that Ochem 1 + 2 are more heavily tested than plant/ecology/evolution? Do I absolutely need to have Ochem 2 lab and biochem completed before the MCAT?

That's a ton of prerequisites you have yet to take.

Not having taken a ton of prerequisites would explain why your first MCAT score isn't higher.

Biochem is the most heavily tested subject on the MCAT. You should complete it before taking the MCAT if you want a higher score.

Optics/thermo/fluids also receive their fair share of attention on the MCAT, as does Bio 2. Orgo is not heavily tested but you need it to understand biochem.

You should check out the official AMCAS guide to topics on the MCAT:
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/understand-mcat-exam/

Have you checked out the mcat forum on reddit which has available for download the legendary 300 page outline that covers topics on MCAT psychology/sociology and the equally legendary Anki notes prepared by Premed95?

Have you checked out "linked" SMP and postbacc programs, which have preferential admission to certain medical schools?

@scorkel95

@Goro created a thread on reinvention that would help here:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

I think you're making the number 1 mistake of nontraditional applicants (per @Goro) in that you're in a huge rush to proceed with the application process and thereby hurt your chances.

Taking the MCAT before completing so many prerequisites is a classic example of that.

Reactions: 1 users
27 year old female, career-changer
ORM
CA resident

Stats:
overall gpa (ug + post-bacc) : 3.5
sgpa (ug + post-bacc): 3.3
post-bacc gpa: 3.5
post-bacc sgpa: 3.4
top 10 public undergrad w/ non STEM major - cgpa 3.4, sgpa: 3.25
haven't taken MCAT yet, practice MCAT score is not stellar: 500 - equivalent of 26 on old mcat.
no pubs

Activities:
200+ hours as medical scribe / mental health advocate (FM, IM, peds, obgyn)
50+ hours non-health care related volunteering
physician shadowing (100+ hours in variety of specialities)
190+ hours as volunteer RA in lab focusing on behavioral modification interventions

1) yes.
2) Very sorry to hear this, but no.