considering medical school with family.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mamagoose99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
was looking for some insight into how non- traditional students make med-school and family work.

would appreciate the insight from those that are in a similar situation, married, kids, and not 22 years old.

Members don't see this ad.

was looking for some insight into how non- traditional students make med-school and family work.

would appreciate the insight from those that are in a similar situation, married, kids, and not 22 years old.
I do not have children, but im sure alot of it will have to be family support.

i would also like some insight. i plan on attending med school in the next few years. i also have a three year old daughter, a two year old son, and another one year old son. I think about it all the time and how i'm gonna swing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have three kids, preteen through early grade school, and a husband who is very supportive but definitely not a candidate to move to some random city just because I happen to get into school there, so it's State school or (probably) nothing. Kids get a blast out of doing homework with mom, but it's hard to reconcile my desire for med school with the needs of my kids who deserve to have their education front and center. I wonder if I'd have these same conflicts if I were a daddy and not a mommy -- do men struggle with balancing parenting and professional responsibilities?

there are other posts on this, in my opinion having spousal support and really good communication is key, in my pre-med courses often I'd get so into studying that an interruption by my kids was likely to cause annoyance at losing my study-train-of-thought rather than parental feelings. That's when it helps to have a spouse who was comfortable calling me on this. There needs to be balance rather than solely a focus on academic pursuits.

I've read good things about parents setting aside specific times, both for family activities and for being a spouse (rather than a parent) as key to making it through. And that M1 & M2 are far more conducive to school-life balance than M3 and M4 due to rotations and overnight hospital stays.

I do know that with my younger child being 5, parenting is much easier than it was when the kids were young, they're fine if need be on their own for hours at a time with very limited guidance; as newborns they needed constant attention. But I expect there to be a price; I'll be studying and away from the family for many more hours than if I followed a different path. But I"ll also be able to pay for the kids' college, realistically, anywhere which is important to me, and set aside enough to retire comfortably.

I have a partner, and a 13 year old who was 9 when I started med school. And am definitely not 22. :p So far we've all survived and are now halfway through my intern year. It is hard sometimes balancing med school/residency and family but not impossible. Sometimes you will choose to spend a little extra time with your family at the cost of a few points on a test. And other times your child will have to get used to hearing the words "sorry, Mommy has to study today."